The Most Overrated Classics

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Re: The Most Overrated Classics

Post by Swat3737 »

I agree with the original poster that a lot of Shakespeare works, especially Hamlet, are overrated. But I do not agree about the others. Catch 22 is one of my favorite books ever! And Catcher in the Rye and How to Kill a Mockingbird were wonderful. I think the Mists of Avalon, my all-time favorite, should be considered a classic
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

I was not a fan of Catch-22 and Anna Karenina... let me just say I'm happy I never have to read them again.

I always wondered about classics. When I was younger I read and reread Sherlock Holmes, but that was one of the only ones I felt I could connect to. I just recently read Pride and Prejudice, and while I know there are a lot of strong feelings about it one way or the other, I was surprised at how witty and relatable the writing was. I tried to read Sense and Sensibility after that and just completely did not like it (I almost didnt finish it, but I was determined to see it through).

I think thats the fun of classics. You know never really know what you're going to enjoy until you pick up the book yourself. You may end up hating most of them, but some times you find a real gem you can connect with.

I am now reading Wilkie Collins and I find, once again, I am pleasantly surprised with it
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

Unpopular opinion: Shakespeare in general, but especially Romeo and Juliet is overrated.
cadelfavreau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cadelfavreau.html
Latest Review: The Sojourners by T. L. Hughes

Post by cadelfavreau »

To kill a mockingbird is by no means overrated. Somehow it’s underrated, possibly due to its conspicuous position in curricula. I think children tend to read it too early to appreciate it.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I think the most overrated classics are most of Shakespeare's works. I've heard, a lot about Romeo and Juliet and a Midsummer Night's Dream but when o read them they weren't all that. I don't know if it's just me or what.
Kinap
Currently Reading: Instant Pot Cookbook #2019
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinap.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kinap »

I think Romeo and Julie is a little overrated. (although I referenced it yesterday) it's a good story, but I don't know. I guess I've just read it too many times. I loved Catch-22 though! It was hilarious!
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

flaming_quills wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 04:25 I think the most overrated classics are most of Shakespeare's works. I've heard, a lot about Romeo and Juliet and a Midsummer Night's Dream but when o read them they weren't all that. I don't know if it's just me or what.
I think part of the problem is the way we first encounter Shakespeare. It tends to be at school, when we're forced to read and talk about a particular Shakespeare play, and it's drummed into us that this guy is a genius, we need to appreciate him, etc, etc. If we don't like that particular play, or if it's taught badly, which it often is, then we come away feeling a bit underwhelmed by the whole Shakespeare experience! I think it's important to remember that Shakespeare didn't intend his work to be read and studied and analysed in this way. He was writing plays to be acted and spoken on stage. I was made aware of this when I went to see one of the comedies performed. I'd read it in school and been bored stupid by it. When I saw it acted out on stage, it actually made me laugh out loud! My advice to anyone would be, don't read Shakespeare - go see his plays on stage.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

Er... I'll have to disagree with you there. To Kill A Mockingbird and Hamlet were definitely not overrated. They were as you said one of the most poignant books of the 20th century but 'hard to get through' is a little vague. What exactly stopped you from liking them?
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

To Kill A Mockingbird and The Metamorphosis are both overrated.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
paulkinyuao+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

I think overrated is a category of prejudice.
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

I thought Emma was overrated. The character just seemed so unlikeable and silly.
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

I do agree that 'To Kill a Mockingbird' is very overrated. There are many books with the same theme which are more emotionally captivating and historically accurate, but most are non-fiction. 'Perfume' was a book of a kind. I cannot think of a similar book to it and it really dives into the psychology of a character like no other books do.
lunablue_x3
Currently Reading: Phenomenology of Perception
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunablue-x3.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by lunablue_x3 »

Glad to hear you mention A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara as a potential classic. I found it to be so powerful that I had a mini nervous breakdown when I finished it.

I've always though Lolita was overrated in terms of its prose. I think it gains its place among the classics mainly for being innovative. And for its prurient nature.

As far as Salinger is concerned, I preferred Franny and Zooey.
FionaSongbird
Currently Reading: The Killer Angels
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by FionaSongbird »

I completely disagree about Catch-22! I loved that book. I thought it was hilarious and thought-provoking. I also disagree with To Kill a Mockingbird; it's a very important book that discusses themes that remain relevant today. I agree about Hamlet. I love Shakespeare, but found Hamlet kind of boring, with the exception of some of the soliloquies. A few years after I had to read it in high school, I went back and reread it, to see if I would like it better, but I didn't. I haven't read your other "overrated" books, so I can't really comment on those.

A book that many other people love that I think is overrated is Wuthering Heights. I can't stand that book. There isn't a single sympathetic character in the whole think and I wished Heathcliff would jump off a cliff and end my misery of having to read that book.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I would agree with you on that. There are quite a few overrated classics out there.

Return to “Classic Books”