Sence And Sensibility

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
muhammadshiraz24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Sence And Sensibility

Post by muhammadshiraz24 »

The more I know of the world, the more am I convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!'

Marianne Dashwood wears her heart on her sleeve, and when she falls in love with the dashing but unsuitable John Willoughby she ignores her sister Elinor's warning that her impulsive behaviour leaves her open to gossip and innuendo. Meanwhile Elinor, always sensitive to social convention, is struggling to conceal her own romantic disappointment, even from those closest to her. Through their parallel experience of love—and its threatened loss—the sisters learn that sense must mix with sensibility if they are to find personal happiness in a society where status and money govern the rules of love.

This edition includes explanatory notes, textual variants between the first and second editions, and Tony Tanner's introduction to the original Penguin Classic edition. Less
stellaclover

Post by stellaclover »

Sense and Sensibility" is a residential novel composed by Top Paper Service author. This is what that implies: the Victorians were social activists, all things considered. They saw shameful acts in the public eye and did their best to draw consideration and cure those treacheries.
K-M-Stormblessed7

Post by K-M-Stormblessed7 »

Sense and Sensibility

I really liked this book. It has some old speak in it, which makes sense cause it’s kinda old, but it also is just kinda fun once you get into it.

Before the book starts, the main character follows the advice of a person who was almost a mother to her. This lead to her losing the love of her life and feeling incredibly alone. However, she doesn’t get bitter. She isn’t angry.

She realizes that following the advice was her own choice. She realizes what made her happy. She doesn’t allow hardship to get in her way, she pushes through to a brighter tomorrow not allowing past failures to determine her destiny.

Some people say that Jane Austin books all showcase weak females who need men to complete them. I disagree. This book showcases a person who is strong enough to not be offended, to offer help even when someone might not deserve it. She is genuinely kind, and that kindness shows through to allow her to have her own happily ever after. I give this book a 4 out of 4 review. It is great!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

K-M-Stormblessed7 wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 22:12 Some people say that Jane Austin books all showcase weak females who need men to complete them. I disagree. This book showcases a person who is strong enough to not be offended, to offer help even when someone might not deserve it. She is genuinely kind, and that kindness shows through to allow her to have her own happily ever after.
Oh definitely. There's also the fact that both sisters grow and learn t o trust their own decisions and their happy ending is more about self realisation than their husbands. Austen tends t o have a bad reputation when it comes to the man thing but I think, in this one especially, it's not about them for this reason.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
cflowers
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cflowers.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by cflowers »

K-M-Stormblessed7 wrote: ↑September 30th, 2018, 10:12 pm
Some people say that Jane Austin books all showcase weak females who need men to complete them. I disagree. This book showcases a person who is strong enough to not be offended, to offer help even when someone might not deserve it. She is genuinely kind, and that kindness shows through to allow her to have her own happily ever after.
Well said! I don't think her women were weak at all. Austen just represents what the situation was for women of that era. Austen's women didn't need a man to complete them for their inner self worth and honor. She does a great job of developing her characters to show their courage and strength against the social norms of the time.
There is a theme throughout her books of women choosing true love or honor OVER money and rank. That's a brave thing to do in that era, considering how an "imprudent match" could very likely lead one to a life of degradation, hunger, sickness and death if they made one bad choice. They were very strong females for the times they were living in.
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

I agree that the female character development in her books is not about weak or subservient women, but rather strong, independent women who are forced to make difficult choices in a society with unrealistic and devaluing expectations placed on them. Rather than just being objects of adornment, her female characters are independent thinkers who stand up for their beliefs and values.
akawaiikillerpotato

Post by akawaiikillerpotato »

This book was very powerful and made me feel a rainbow of emotions.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I usually love Jane Austen's novels, but did anyone else find Sense and Sensibility a little harder than her other novels to get through? It seemed a little slow and tedious.
-Thea M. Frederick
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen is one of the best classics. It brings out the society, family relationships, love and marriage and many more themes.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

Although it's not my favorite of Austen's works, I do still enjoy this story. I think it showcases the quiet strength of women during the Regency era.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

This is another work of Jane that I enjoyed reading. I can't help but heap praise on Jane for such an amazing work.
Philosopher2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philosopher2022.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Philosopher2022 »

i have not read this book yet, i will definitely leave a comment once i am done.
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I am halfway through reading this book. I must say I really enjoy it so far! Jane Austen writes such compelling characters that I can’t help but form opinions about their personalities. At first I was uncertain that I liked Elinor, she seemed a bit self-righteous and judgmental, but as the story progresses and I gain more insight to her character and inner thoughts, the more endearing she is to me. I hope the book ends with her settled well and wanting nothing.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller
Andrew Darlington
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Andrew Darlington »

Interesting comments so far. So sad I haven't read this book. I will try to check it out.

Return to “Classic Books”