Which Modern Book Will Become a Classic in the Future?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: Which Modern Book Will Become a Classic in the Future?

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

Alwaystkd wrote: 12 May 2018, 23:51 I wonder what made certain books a classic such as, Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, The Old Man and The Sea etc. Is it the message the author is displaying or maybe the popularity of the book that makes it a classic? It will be exciting to see which modern day books will one day be classics.
I am wondering the same thing. I have no idea what contemporary books will continue to like a century or more later. I'm observing others' views. From their replies it seems popularity is the first consideration, even more than theme.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Jenni Schmitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenni-schmitt.html
Latest Review: Nowhere to Hide by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jenni Schmitt »

I've been known to say, "The Classics are only classics because so few people were literate at the time." However, I have to agree that the Harry Potter series will be considered classics. Also Good Omens by Neil Gaiman. Best book I ever bought for a dollar! :D
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Abraham Ozo »

The book "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe is somewhat modern but has the potential and is even already a classic. That book was so good.
Sampson Mimgba
Currently Reading: Artwords
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sampson Mimgba »

Predicting which modern books will become classics in the future is challenging because it depends on several factors, including cultural significance, enduring themes, and continued readership over time. However, some contemporary books have already gained recognition and show potential for future classic status. These might include:

1. "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee (published in 1960): This novel, while not entirely modern, is a prime example of a book that has become a classic in a relatively short time. It addresses themes of racial injustice, moral growth, and the loss of innocence.

2. "Harry Potter" series by J.K. Rowling (published from 1997 to 2007): This series has had a profound impact on popular culture and introduced an entire generation to the joys of reading.

3. "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy (published in 2006): This post-apocalyptic novel explores themes of survival, love, and the human condition in a bleak world.

4. "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini (published in 2003): This novel delves into the complexities of family, friendship, and redemption against the backdrop of Afghanistan's tumultuous history.

5. "The Great Believers" by Rebecca Makkai (published in 2018): This novel deals with the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s and its impact on the LGBTQ+ community, providing a historical and emotional perspective.

It's important to remember that the status of a classic book often becomes apparent with the passage of time. What makes a classic is not just literary quality but also its impact on society and the endurance of its themes. Only time will tell which modern books will stand the test of time and become classics.
Jabril Miller
Currently Reading: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-12ultimate.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Jabril Miller »

I do agree with other people in this thread that series like Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and (potentially) Twilight. Given their relatively recent popularity and interest in the minds of people, I'd also like to submit Dune, A Song of Ice and Fire, and Chronicles of the Shadow War as potential candidates that have withstood the test of time and may live on in people's hearts as classics.
BigNaz42
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BigNaz42 »

3. "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy (published in 2006): This post-apocalyptic novel explores themes of survival, love, and the human condition in a bleak world.

I would amend this with Blood Meridian. You can even call it the great american novel at this point in time. Not a single author, aside from Melville, has attempted anything this ambitious and has delivered with such prophetic style.
Abhisheksonu1234
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abhisheksonu1234 »

Predicting future classics is challenging, as it depends on evolving literary tastes and cultural shifts. However, books that receive critical acclaim, address universal themes, and have a lasting impact on readers are more likely to be considered future classics. Some contenders might include works by authors like Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Haruki Murakami, or Zadie Smith, but only time will tell.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

The book that I believe has had the biggest impact on me lately is "The Kyte Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. Because I've never read anything like it and because it has all the makings of a classic, it will probably become a classic.
Mari Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

I think the Harry Potter series will become classic because so many people love it. I mean jeez, it has its own theme park! What other book series has its own entire theme park?
Sav Sparkman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

This may be a controversial pick, but I could imagine considering the Twilight series classic. Hear me out… who has not heard of this series? And of anyone who has read it, who did not love it? It’s certainly not a series that appeals to everyone, but you can’t deny the impact the popularity of these books had on many new readers and the influence they had on future media. I might be biased, because I truly enjoy this series! Does anyone out there feel the same as I do about the lasting impact of these books?
Favy Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favy-moses.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Favy Moses »

I agree that the Harry Potter books stands a good chance becoming a classic it resonates so much with readers and has amazing characters.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I do not know of any for now
Princewill Uchenna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princewill-uchenna.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Princewill Uchenna »

often wonder if authors of the books we consider classics ever would have thought their words would live for so many years and have millions of eyes grace their pages.

Return to “Classic Books”