Which Modern Book Will Become a Classic in the Future?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Re: Which Modern Book Will Become a Classic in the Future?

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

The Harry Potter Series, the Game of Thrones Collection and Perks of Being A Wallflower
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Nearly every Neil Gaimen book is bound to find its place in history, I cast my vote in for Sandman.
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Bri C »

Actual quality of writing isn't necessarily a big definer of what will become a classic. Connecting with many people or crossing new frontiers is. Harry Potter is hardly Shakespeare, but they are good stories, connected with an entire generation and then some, and was a shining star of a zero to hero franchise. Combine that with being far easier to read than Shakespeare and I would be surprised if it doesn't live on for quite a while.

I don't know about the Hunger Games in particular, but I think at least one post-apocalyptic book will live on. There's a lot to be analyzed in the widespread apocalypse fantasy of a world that's the best it's ever been. (Far from perfect, of course, but with the least overall suffering, which I admit is not saying a lot.)
Earle Remington
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Earle Remington »

I think The Book Thief by Markus Zusak will become a classic in the future. It will stand the test of time because it poses timeless questions like:

How are friendships formed?

How do friendships change and grow?

How is courage shown?

What are our greatest obstacles?

What is death?

What is our purpose?

What is the nature of humanity?

What is the significance of stories?

Why can it be difficult to love?

Why do we give?

Why do we love people?

Why do we trust people?
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Hildehraefen wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 13:24 "The Fault In Our Stars" by John Green. It treats on the subject of human suffering and trying to comprehend and live with it in a very raw and unfiltered way, which I think many books fail to do.
I second this book to be a classic. 'The Fault in Our Stars' touched the souls of so many readers and made us get an insight into the life of cancer patients. How they can be enthusiastic about simple things in life, when they know of their limited time.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Bri C wrote: 23 May 2020, 13:09 Actual quality of writing isn't necessarily a big definer of what will become a classic. Connecting with many people or crossing new frontiers is. Harry Potter is hardly Shakespeare, but they are good stories, connected with an entire generation and then some, and was a shining star of a zero to hero franchise. Combine that with being far easier to read than Shakespeare and I would be surprised if it doesn't live on for quite a while.

I don't know about the Hunger Games in particular, but I think at least one post-apocalyptic book will live on. There's a lot to be analyzed in the widespread apocalypse fantasy of a world that's the best it's ever been. (Far from perfect, of course, but with the least overall suffering, which I admit is not saying a lot.)
No doubt, the Harry Potter series would be a classic. I also believe that connecting with many people is far more important than actual writing. But then, the writing would determine connections with a larger audience over generations.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

sarah[1904] wrote: 10 May 2018, 16:09 I often wonder if authors of the books we consider classics ever would have thought their words would live for so many years and have millions of eyes grace their pages. I believe A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini will become a classic. The subject matter of the novel, and the characters it centers on, are so important to today's times that the events will be talked about for years.
Oh yes. That book was just heartbreaking. I remember crying and wanting to stop reading it (square bracket contains spoilers[ after seeing Rashid beating Maryam ] ). But I couldn't just leave my memories of the book as tragic, so I read on and boy am I glad I did. But I still wish [Maryam hadn't taken the blame for killing Rashid ].
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

I think all the books mentioned stand a chance. But one I haven't seen is the
Percy Jackson series. I think PJ will live past our age and more.
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I agree that "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman will be a classic. The Harry Potter series and "A Song of Ice and Fire" basically already are classics at this point. I would definitely say "All the Light We Cannot See" will be one as well.
Hailey_duchess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-duchess.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Hailey_duchess »

In my opinion, the "Hunger Games" saga should be put on the shelves right next to all-time literary classics. It sheds light on our reality in an indirect way, introducing cruel rulers, people of different social classes and the ruthless fight for survival. Susan Collins, the author, also integrated the very important family strucure in the novel and how, in order to survive, we need to work together and stand tall against the oppresor. For me, it stands out as a timeless trilogy.
SarahTheReader
Currently Reading: Mansfield Park
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahthereader.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by SarahTheReader »

I'm not sure what modern book will become a classic but I do hope it has as much impact as the classics I love. I think the reason a book or series becomes classic is because they have universal themes that transcend time. It must hold up to the test of time and still offer lessons in life.
I agree that Harry Potter will most likely become a classic. I also think The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas will become a classic due to it's powerful relevance to our times and deeply moving portrayal of racial inequality that is easily accessible and consumable to all audiences.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

There are many suggestions by my fellow reviewers and many books that are discussed here destined to be classics in future. Like Harry Potter series, Lord of the ring series, The kite runner, The book Thief etc. are all gread reads.. I too like to put my two cents here. Ken Follett's The Pillars of the earth and the subsequent two sequals are destined to be classics too..
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

I believe Khalid Hossien's books would go on to become a classic in future.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

In my books, Chimamanda's Purple Hibiscus is a classic. Being a Nigerian I have never bonded with any book the way I did with this one.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

For the longest time, I believed the Harry Potter series would become a classic because of the sheer impact it's had. It's undeniably had an effect on many people. In the wake of Lord of the Rings, I believe Game of Thrones has the potential to be considered a classic as well.

Return to “Classic Books”