Which Modern Book Will Become a Classic in the Future?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Which Modern Book Will Become a Classic in the Future?

Post by iced_sunshine »

I've always wondered how classics become classics. I guess a book just has to be relevant for long enough. If you ask me, books like Harry Potter are books that have lived long past their publication date. Even today, people continue to talk about them. I think such a series will definitely become a classic in the future.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Even though I do not like them, I think the Hunger Games series might become Classics in the future.
Anna1512
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna1512.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Anna1512 »

I think that the book that struck me the most recently is "The kyte runner" by Khaled Hosseini. It will propably become a classic because I've never read anything similar and it has all the features to be annoverated between the "classics"
imaginarilily
Currently Reading: The Perfect Storm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by imaginarilily »

I agree with the posts saying Harry Potter will become a classic, but also I think that The Perks of Being a Wallflower could be a classic in the future.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I think the books that this generation loves will be handed down to the next, and that's how you make a classic in my opinion. The Hunger Games and Divergent come to mind because they were so popular, maybe even Twilight.
Strangeminds
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangeminds.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Strangeminds »

sarah[1904] wrote: 10 May 2018, 16:09 I often wonder if authors of the books we consider classics ever would have thought their words would live for so many years and have millions of eyes grace their pages. I believe A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini will become a classic. The subject matter of the novel, and the characters it centers on, are so important to today's times that the events will be talked about for years.
I agree with you on that. I am currently reading the book and I've to say that It is a masterpiece. Books like this are quite rare today and I've no doubt that it will be a classic in the future.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

Khaled Hosseini, I believe, is already well set, and Hurston as well -- I know those books are being taught on syllabuses around the world for English/lit. I don't believe Harry Potter will be considered a classic on the same level as others, though; it's not strictly literary, as classics tend to be, and it's a series. I guess the future will tell, but I think it might be more of a 'must read' for YA, the same way Roald Dahl is not regarded as the author of classics but rather must reads for children.
AnnaLibri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annalibri.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by AnnaLibri »

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

The only book that I can truly think of as a modern that could become a classic would be The Life of Pi. I have never read books like The Hunger Games or Harry Potter, but I could see them possibly being considered classics in the future as they have been read by many people.
Sarah10
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sarah10 »

Harry Potter, for sure. It's the book (series) of an entire generation. A lot of people say it wasn't written all that well,in a technical sense (Rowling is an amazing storyteller, but a lot of people think she's a pretty average writer). But I still think it will be a classic because she is such an amazing storyteller and the books are so freakin good lol ... The series really is a defining part of the millennial generation, but the series is beloved by very young children and older generations as well. Plus, I've read a lot about the series (especially John Granger's books) and there's so much amazing symbolism, literary alchemy, and ring cycle structure in the series that it really is an incredibly intricate and uniquely written series. The series deals with very timeless issues.

In contrast, popular books like The hunger Games and Divergent and all these other really popular series are really different in this way. They're a reflection of current times, which is really cool. But I think that's why they're so liked. They aren't written particularly well, they don't have an amazing or unique structure, and they don't really deal with timeless issues the way Harry Potter does.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

sarah[1904] wrote: 10 May 2018, 16:09 I often wonder if authors of the books we consider classics ever would have thought their words would live for so many years and have millions of eyes grace their pages. I believe A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini will become a classic. The subject matter of the novel, and the characters it centers on, are so important to today's times that the events will be talked about for years.
Very true!
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

I hope that The Penderwicks becomes a classic. We'll see.....
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I think maybe the Hunger Games.
Patricereads
Favorite Book: Diplomat of Uram
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Patricereads »

Game of Thrones probably (ASOIAF). It very much looks like that. I hope Martin finishes the story well.
Doodle98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doodle98.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Doodle98 »

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

Not only is it beautifully written but it's a compelling story about grief and finding ways of expressing that feeling through art and sometimes less admiral means. It feels like a very timeless story when you're reading it yet it does describe a bunch of different places in the modern world as the main character travels and learns.

There are a lot of different kinds of relationships too which explore dynamics really well.

Return to “Classic Books”