Anyone reading "Persuasion" by Jane Austen?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Basmeen
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basmeen.html
Latest Review: Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Re: Anyone reading "Persuasion" by Jane Austen?

Post by Basmeen »

The book 'pride and prejudice' made a good impression about Jane Austen's piece.i love the way she described the emotions of the girl who truly loves.but I haven't read the book' persuasion '.May be I would try in this summer
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

This Austen novel is one of my favorites because I identify with Anne, being a reserved person myself. I really felt the power of their love even when they weren’t together. I also appreciated how they both were truly good people with kind hearts.
lettiebeth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lettiebeth »

Keep reading! It's worth it. :wink:
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I may say that it was likeable, but I can't say that I have loved it. Some events that have occurred, although it's Jane Austen's style, were too abrupt and didn't make much sense.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
fleur1106
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fleur1106 »

I read it when I was still in college
Second year if I'm not mistaken.
I'll read it again when I have free time from work. I think this book deserved a second reading.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Ahhhhh my favourite Austen. And given how much I loved Pride & Prejudice, that's saying something.
mlh6fn
Currently Reading: Stay Gold
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlh6fn.html
Latest Review: I Am Unstoppable by Charmaine Marie

Post by mlh6fn »

Persuasion is my absolute favorite Jane Austen! Our heroine is in her late twenties unlike the rest of Austen's works which typically focus on late teen/early twenties protagonists. This means Anne doesn't have the impulsiveness that often frustrates me and she's more mature and self-aware. I do agree there's a lot of characters with the same or similar names, so keeping a family chart nearby is helpful!
Aj321
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Leader In You
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Aj321 »

I read the persuasion. Its my second favorite among all Austen's work. It can be pretty much focused in the small part of characters life but as detailed as Austen's work, its pretty hard not to like it. I think this book shows the mockery of aristocracy and beauty glorified in other classics which was relatable and fresh for me. Also the character development in life choices are what makes this book interesting.
The quiet book lover
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-quiet-book-lover.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef

Post by The quiet book lover »

Persuasion is one of my favorites of Jane Austen’s! I’ve read it multiple times. I wouldn’t say I like it better than Pride and Prejudice, but I have read it more times than Pride and Prejudice. I read it first when I was somewhere around fourteen and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it because it was my first “old english” style read on my own. I fell in love with the book and find it an easy book to pick up for a reread. For some reason it seems shorter than Jane Austen’s other books, but I’m not sure if that’s a fact or not.
SarahTheReader
Currently Reading: Mansfield Park
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahthereader.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by SarahTheReader »

Like many others, I also found Persuasion to be slow in the beginning and hard to get behind because Anne is a passive character. However, I found that once I got into the story, it was great to see Anne's growth and her understated strength to stand up for herself and do what is right by herself in the end.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

Persuasion, Jane Austen's last completed novel is my favorite. This book portrays a more mature heroine, one who is kind, humble and gentle. When she was a young girl, she was persuaded by Lady Russell to call of the engagement. I enjoyed the character of Anne and how she became a strong woman, able to stand up for herself and her desires. I think I enjoyed it also because it is a story about second chances and I admire Jane's courage and determination to work at completing the novel despite the fact that she was quite ill during this time in her life. Jane passed away 4 months later.
MBerretta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mberretta.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MBerretta »

Persuasion started slow for me. I just persevered and finished it to the end. I didn't realize that I was getting attached to the characters until about two-thirds of the way through. By the end, I was just thrilled at the outcome. It's a little bit more of a slow burn compared to P&P. Please finish it! You won't regret it!
Have you read Sense & Sensibility? That one won my heart! And I am a staunch P&P lover!
"I want to learn everything I can, and I write down everything I see. Golly says if I want to be a writer someday, I better start now, and that is why I am a spy."

-Harriet M. Welsch (Harriet the Spy, 1996)
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

This novel is hard to get into, but once it picks up it's as amazing as Jane Austen's other novels. It is wonderful to see the characters evolve. My favorite part is the letter from Captain Wentworth.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I just started reading it after watching the movie, and seems way better than the movie.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

Persuasion is actually my favorite book. Pride and Prejudice is a close second. Character wise, I like Elizabeth and Darcy more. I love Anne and Wentworths love story though.

Return to “Classic Books”