Anyone reading "Persuasion" by Jane Austen?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ohitislove
Bookshelf Size: 0

Anyone reading "Persuasion" by Jane Austen?

Post by ohitislove »

I am a few chapters into this classic by Jane Austen. I started it because i was completely obsessed with "Pride and Prejudice". I mean, who wouldn't be?
There are a lot of characters introduced in the first few chapters and I am not really into it yet...

Just curious if anybody loved this book or had any interesting tidbits to add. :)
Waheeddd

Post by Waheeddd »

I have watch the movie,but not the book
ohitislove

Post by ohitislove »

Did you like it?
Waheeddd

Post by Waheeddd »

Actually, I'm not very impressed by it. Most of Jane Austin's works are almost focus on some very narrow subjects. But I love its changes of the emotions and its psychological growth in many characters
PhotonicGuy

Post by PhotonicGuy »

I didn't read it, at least not until now, but I heard that Persuasion must be read together with Northanger Abbey. These are connected together. Did you read the last one? Maybe so you would have liked the first one more.
alexmurphy

Post by alexmurphy »

Truth to be told, I am a fan of Jane Austen ...
I loved Pride and Prejudice so I decided to read this one to.
Yes some says that Jane Austin's works are almost focus on some very narrow subjects, but so our life. Some very narrow subjects can completely change your world. And Its the writers credit that how closely he can observe the human life.
I hope you will enjoy the book too.
Amelia

Post by Amelia »

I love Persuasion. Its my second favourite Austen.
I'm unaware of any connection between it and Northanger Abbey, aside from the author obviously.
In comparison to Pride and Prejudice, Anne is not quite as firey a character as Elizabeth. She's much more passive and in a way, she tends to be a bit of a silent observer. Still, she is intellegent and witty at times.
I think because Anne is not as beautiful, fresh and young as Elizabeth, and because she tends to get shuffled around she isn't as loved as Elizabeth, but I still really enjoy this book.
ohitislove

Post by ohitislove »

Thank you for all the insight!

It took me a little longer to get into this one but i'm starting to see some character development and good stuff in there! It definitely doesn't compare to Pride and Prejudice though. I think you're right... Anne is harder to love because she is meek as opposed to the strong-willed Elizabeth Bennet.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I love Jane Austen and have read each of her novels a few times.
There is not any connection between Persuasion and Northanger Abbey, so you do not have to read them together.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I loved Persuasion. It does take a little while to pick up, but I find that happens in most of Austen's novels. It isn't my favorite of her works, but I still enjoyed it. Honestly, I've read and loved all of her major novels. If you haven't read it yet, I would recommend Northanger Abbey. That is my 2nd favorite, after Pride & Prejudice, of course.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

Persuasion takes sometime before you can really get into it but I don't see its connection with Northanger Abby. They are both great books though, but Pride and prejudice is my favorite
Neverland

Post by Neverland »

Yes i just read . Its amazing
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I read it recently and really enjoyed it. I'll admit there are a lot of characters to keep up with. It might help you to keep a list of characters (maybe in family tree format).
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Persuasion is one of the Austen books that was hard for me to get into. While I did enjoy the character development once it picked up, it was hard to actually get there. It was also kind of difficult to keep track of which guy to root for, eve though Austen's pattern is obvious by now. Still, it was an enjoyable read once it got going.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

I love the book! It does have a slow start, but it is worth reading to the end. I’m a huge Jane Austen fan, so there isn’t much I dislike about her books in general.

Return to “Classic Books”