Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MelyndaHeller
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Post by MelyndaHeller »

I JUST had this discussion on my Facebook!! I am a longtime fan of Pride & Prejudice. However, o recently read Jane Eyre and just felt the story more. So, I now have to say that Jane Eyre has slightly surpassed P&P.
michelle alcoser
Currently Reading: Come Away with Me: Gio
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-alcoser.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by michelle alcoser »

Jane Eyre is my preference of the two. I can't stand Pride and Prejudice unless it has zombies ;)
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

Jane Eyre is my absolute favourite
Shumiagha
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan

Post by Shumiagha »

Jane Eyre is always close to my heart. Being an orphan and scorned by her aunt and cousins, Jane struggled to find some emotional support.
She different from the women of that age, who put all their efforts after marrying men of fortune and producing heir.
Throughout her journey and choices she made, I see her as resilient girl complying by the rules of the school and learnt good skills. She shaped her life despite abandoned by her aunt.
Meanwhile she hooked up in sexual romances and her deep desire to find a lover made her taking up such adventures.
Later, when she took up job assignment as a full time teacher for a kid she found herself a well dignified position. But her love life was dry and barren until she met Mr Rochester. Jane’s insecurities were put to rest when Mr Rochester chose her over pretty, fashionable and rich women of the town.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

Both great books, but Jane Eyre was more intense with greater depth and emotion.
FionaSongbird
Currently Reading: The Killer Angels
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by FionaSongbird »

This is a hard one. I love both of these books so much! I also read both as a teenager, which is of course an especially impressionable time for reading love stories. Both Lizzie and Jane have strong opinions and personalities, which is what I love about both of them. The authors might not have liked to admit it, but the two books have similarities in story lines. They both feature a strong, opinionated female protagonist, who falls in love with a wealthy, arrogant man, who must learn humility in order to win the over the heroine. The heroine, meanwhile, must learn to let go of her prejudices, see the good in the love interest, and learn how to be with him without losing herself.

In short, I can't pick one. That's too hard. I'll just keep loving them both.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I have yet to read Jane Eyre so I can't say anything concerning such comparison, but as far as I know, they both belong to different genre, so the comparison may not only be unfair but most likely subjective due to the matter of preference and taste.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Strangeminds
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangeminds.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Strangeminds »

Though Jane eyre is a great book, my favourite among the two will always be pride and prejudice. There's something about the book that makes me keep going back to it.
FelDee
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: A Voice in the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feldee.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by FelDee »

Pride and Prejudice for me beats Jane Eyre by far, but to be honest they aren't really comparable. The stories both have a very different feel to them. Pride and Prejudice has a very lighthearted and sweet feel, whereas Jane Eyre is a very tragic and gloomy sort of book.
The reason I love Pride and Prejudice much more is because it has this ability to bring you into the book as though you were sitting right there at the Bennetts' table. I have read it probably 5 times now and whenever I am feeling down I know I can grab that book and almost immediately feel better.
AnnaLibri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annalibri.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by AnnaLibri »

I count both Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice among my favorite books, for very different reasons. They are so different from each other that it doesn't seem right to say one is definitively better than the other. It's all a matter of personal preference.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
BellezaCruel
Currently Reading: Life After Death
Bookshelf Size: 354

Post by BellezaCruel »

Such a difficult question!:techie-studyinggray:

But as mentioned below (or above) it depends of what you're in the mood for. I can relate to Jane Eyre because I read it at a very young age. It's subtle images of self sacrifice never faded away, even with the scrutiny you give to classics once you're old enough. Elizabeth may be too smart for me and real speech is never so clever (or is it?).
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

Yes! I couldn't choose between them, but Pride and Prejudice is just a teensy bit in front.
Tnewz16

Post by Tnewz16 »

Most definitely Pride and Prejudice, book and movie!!! I absolutely love the story, the romance, and sense if family during that time period!!!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Jane Eyre for me. Pride and Prejudice is a favorite too but Jane Eyre has more depth. I never think of it as a romance either which is odd. I think best classic romance, I think Pride and Prejudice.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

Both the books are great and choosing one is difficult but off the top of my head it will be Pride and Prejudice.

Return to “Classic Books”