Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
streetsolo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-streetsolo.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Re: Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Post by streetsolo »

For me, it definitely has to be Pride and Prejudice. It's one of my favorite love stories between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. I love the slow build that develops between them...it can't be beat, in my opinion.
"Your progress flows from where your focus goes."
-Sydney Cummings
Iconicsmt
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Unborn
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconicsmt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Iconicsmt »

Jane Eyre, absolutely. When I first started reading it, through the first couple of chapters I honestly thought it was going to be melancholy tripe (I was still in a funk from Tess of the d’Urbervilles, haha), but in the end it was the first book that has ever made me literally cry from happiness. Jane and Rochester both display so much growth throughout the bleakness of both their individual stories and their relationship that eventually you realize how evenly-matched they actually are — that the hardships and chaos they faced were necessary in order for Rochester’s emotional vulnerability and Jane’s incredible strength to finally surface and intertwine them as a stable unit.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Book Lover7
Currently Reading: Crown on Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover7.html
Latest Review: The Light of the Dying by Michelle Reynoso

Post by Book Lover7 »

Definitely I will choose Pride and Prejudice. For me personally nothing can beat it💖.
kimoy13
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimoy13.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by kimoy13 »

I love all 18th century and 19th century novels. However, my absolute favorite is Price and Prejudice. This novel highlights the fact that Jane Austen was way before her time. She masterfully explores so many themes that still exist today. Themes such as place in society, marrying for wealth, biases and the place of women in society still sadly exist today.

The fact that time was spent developing each of the characters was a further plus as it left the reader feeling as if he/she knew each of the characters personally. This novel was so amazing that I have seen 3 different film adaptations and I find that they hardly do the novel justice sigh. :cry:
anw516
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anw516.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by anw516 »

I love both so much! Pride and Prejudice has been a favorite of mine for such a long time. I think, if you're looking for a solid love story and social commentary piece, Pride and Prejudice is the way to go. If you're looking for a story about a woman finding her inner strength and independence, Jane Eyre wins!
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I prefer Pride and Prejudice because I like Lizzy better. She just has such spunk and life to her. It's almost like the difference between a romantic comedy and a romantic drama. Jane Eyre is a great book but it gets so dreary at times that it's difficult to prefer it to P&P. I do love the romantic ending and how they come together, but I prefer more lighthearted fare.
charity02
Currently Reading: The Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charity02.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by charity02 »

Pride and prejudice was my first contemporary romance book and I love it! But I have not read Jane Eyre Yet. I'm still gonna get to it very soon. Still I don't think any other characters could blow my mind as Elizabeth and Darcy did.
Ciarli

Post by Ciarli »

Jane Eyre represents a dark side of poor world or people! insane and sick as all the characters of this book are they dont show a thing about the simple lives of small people.
Maybe the other book of Pride although not realistic, is more beautiful, showing a rotten side of rich world a family dynasty and a doll of a man commanded by a woman or the mother of the two daughters!
Sjwolf+reader[]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Sjwolf+reader[] »

I have read jane Eyre and have a couple of the movies .Sometimes I feel like re watching it but it is not my favorite to read. I also have Pride and prejudice and many other Jane Austen books and movies that I do re read and watch often.
chaysecooper20
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaysecooper20.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont
Reading Device: B07FKR6KXF

Post by chaysecooper20 »

I think it's definitely about personal preference. Both are celebrated classics, but they are quite a bit different when it comes to tone and themes. Pride and Prejudice is a lighthearted romance and social commentary while Jane Eyre has a darker, more gothic vibe and touches on deeper topics. While they seem to overlap in many areas, it doesn't surprise me that people generally prefer one over the other. To compare them to movie styles, Jane Eyre is more of a serious, sometimes eerie, romantic drama while Pride and Prejudice is a romantic drama/comedy. Personally, I love the wittiness of Pride and Prejudice, but I find myself more often wanting to revisit the focus on overcoming inner turmoil and female independence that is present in Jane Eyre. Darker, gothic novels are more my cup of tea. However, both are excellent books. There are just different things to appreciate about them.
zarinakao

Post by zarinakao »

Definitely Pride and Prejudice!
kwalberg28

Post by kwalberg28 »

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite. I love Mr. Darcy
Nikowl7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikowl7.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Nikowl7 »

I love both but for me, Pride and Prejudice will always be one of my favourites!
nandini_gupta
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by nandini_gupta »

I'm new to reading books, so this book was not easy to read for me. But I decided to watch the movie and then I read the book. That made me understand everything clearly. This book was best in romance fiction.
Daedag
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daedag.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daedag »

i can do 100s of pride and prejudice. No one can beat the romance of Darcy and Elizabeth

Return to “Classic Books”