Les Miserables

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Les Miserables

Post by Catie139 »

This is a book I really enjoyed when I read it. There are so many amazing lessons that are gripping, especially that of forgiveness. I wish it weren't so long, because I would like to reread it, but I don't have the time.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Catie139 wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 16:10 This is a book I really enjoyed when I read it. There are so many amazing lessons that are gripping, especially that of forgiveness. I wish it weren't so long, because I would like to reread it, but I don't have the time.
How long did it take you to read? I want to read it but it's so huge!
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

First of all, I'm a fast reader. But even still, it did take a couple of weeks. Yes, it is long! It's worth the read, though - at least I thought so.
X-XXXX-X
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by X-XXXX-X »

The ending is so destroying, but so perfect for the book. Still, I wanted at least Gavroche to get a better life, he was just a kid. (╥_╥)
mzandinia

Post by mzandinia »

Hi there. Les Miserables, by far, was, is, and will my favorite book that I've ever read. It's beyond this world. Hugo describes all miseries in this world not just alone but just all of them together!! I read it back in my 15 years old and after that nothing have such impact me like that to me. You could identification with Jean Valjean, Fantine, Cosette even Inspector Javert. It's really really inspirational in all of life.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

I found a classic addition, red cover with gold writing. It's beautiful. I loved reading the book. I am disappointed that I saw the movie before reading the book. But I still in love with the storyline.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I liked Les Miserables, but I couldn't read it through on my own. Just looking at the table of contents on my ebook version was like WOAH. I ended up getting the audiobook. I enjoyed it, but I really dislike when books go on long tangents. I spent most of the Waterloo section just yelling at the ebook to get back to the story. I imagine I would prefer an abridged version! That being said, it was probably the most entertaining book that went off on long tangents that I have read. (Unlike the Illiad and it's olive trees, etc, etc)
RKeinath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkeinath.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Pillars: Water & Fire by Sanzaki Kojika

Post by RKeinath »

Les Miserables is a fantastic book, and I would recommend that anyone who reads it reads the unabridged version as there's so much to the characters, the places, and events that might otherwise be lost. It is a novel often called a romance, but I find it to be much more. Injustice, mercy, greed, and even the perception of what makes a person good or bad all come into play. It asks a fundamental question of can a person change, and if so why. It is a novel filled with so much sorrow and so much hope at the same time. It is a beautifully written story as well.
Bbutler1018

Post by Bbutler1018 »

I have read this book and i think it is Great!
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

Les Miserable is one of the best books. The society and social issues of the era, amd mindset of people of that era could be well understood by the novel.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I read Les Miserables this year to accomplish my 2021 PopSugar Reading Challenge prompt #41: The longest book (by pages) on your TBR

Honestly, I won't read the unabridged version again unless I'm held at gunpoint. :icon-lol:
It is the longest and most dragging book I ever read.
There are lots of distracting topics that veer off from the main plot, and they make me forget what I was actually reading in the first place.
Overall, I like the turn of events for the characters (YES, even the tragic moments).
I'm currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo, and I can't help but compare how I like Dumas' than Hugo's writing style.
I WILL RE-READ it but in a shorter version.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I read the book in college and I loved it. The story is amazing, and it helps you see through the character the situation France was living at the time. I think the characters are very well accomplished and are easy to understand. The fact that Victor Hugo centers on what goodness means was one of the most interesting parts for me. For example, both Javert and Valjean search for goodness in their own way and from their own perspective, and their actions reflect what good was for each.
doley
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doley.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by doley »

I am yet to read the book you speak about. I will check it out. Thank you for raising the question.
degoodwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-degoodwriter.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by degoodwriter »

This is a very interesting story. I just couldn't get enough of it
Sarah J Callen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Deserving
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-j-callen.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Sarah J Callen »

A adore Les Mis! I recently reread it and the beginning with Monseigneur Bienvenu is always touching to me. I love this particular character who strives to do so much good in the world and does end up changing the lives of many, even in small ways. It's such a great reminder to me that even the little things that I do throughout the day can have an immense impact on others and the world around me.

I also just adore the way that Hugo wrote. His prose is beautiful and it's a joy to get wrapped up in his characters over and over again.

Return to “Classic Books”