Les Miserables

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cadelfavreau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cadelfavreau.html
Latest Review: The Sojourners by T. L. Hughes

Re: Les Miserables

Post by cadelfavreau »

Ive read half of it, and honestly im mad at myself for not finishing as i know ill have to catch back up next time! :o
Kinap
Currently Reading: Instant Pot Cookbook #2019
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinap.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kinap »

I actually just finished it a few months ago and it was amazing! I absolutely loved it! I actually tried to read it several times prior but something always came up or I'd pick up another book and get hooked on that! It had everything! Romance, action, betrayal! Such a great read!
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I absolutely love this book. It is one of the most inspirational books I have ever read. I love the musical, the book, and the films. I love this book so much that I even have two Les Miserables tattoos. Jean Valjean is such an admirable character. He suffered so much injustice and still persevered. He still loved deeply, and made lives better. It is a story of having faith and believing in the good in the world despite all of the ugliness.

I also like the many social statements that are made in this piece. It is one of the few books where you are rooting for the criminal and hoping for the demise of the law (Javert) that is trying to capture him. This is a book that makes you think. I fell in love with it years ago, and it's messages have helped me through the hard times in life.
bejoes
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bejoes »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 21:53 I absolutely love this book. It is one of the most inspirational books I have ever read.
I read it a few years ago to write an article about it (but it wasn't english enough so it didn't go through) and I liked it, but nowhere near as much as you. I feel like I missed out on something now, maybe I should read it again. :techie-studyingbrown:
Gio Gonzalez
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Dental Questions
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Gio Gonzalez »

I think it’s an amazing book, it was a little dense for me but that’s what’s amazing about it, it can be a little dense because there are a lot of describing but it’s still amazing because the story and the characters are just great!
VAwkOb12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by VAwkOb12 »

The book is so emotional but well written and very relatable. I feel fontine's pain because she worked hard for her daughter but died without seeing her.

I also felt sad because jean Val jean didn't receive all the love that he should have from the world. He is a character who has that rare ability to forgive even though his life was full of sadness and lack of peace but he found a little happiness with cosette.

The author put forward many characters that i really liked and still like in the book like monsieur myriel the bishop who does what he can for the needy and never stops giving.
mickeyvv
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickeyvv.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by mickeyvv »

*slight spoiler*
I am currently working on reading it, and have been all year :doh: . I feel it is Victor Hugo's best piece, and not just because it's the most popular. I've gotten through 'Fantine', and am really looking forward to being able to read onward. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have put this masterpiece on the back burner until summer because of how busy I am at the moment.
My favorite part so far, though, has to be in 'Fantine' book two when Jean Valjean steals the 40-sous coin from Petit Gervais. I do not know what it is about this part of the novel, but it just evokes such an emotion in me that is both overwhelming and indescribable. The sudden crack from savagery and instinct to humanistic emotion was just so powerfully described. Everything else was really well-written, but most of the material I had already known from seeing the play and such, so I do not think it hit me as hard as this part.
Hopefully, I can complete more of the novel soon to provide more analysis and commentary.
albuquerquewho
Currently Reading: Dawn in the Sea of Japan
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-albuquerquewho.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by albuquerquewho »

Les Miserable is one of my favorite books of all time!!
I read it twice and every time I think of it I'm impressed by how Victor Hugo managed to create such a flawless web of characters. No matter who, from the more secondary to the main ones, the reader gets know the entire journey of each and every character and the way they influence the narrative. It's amazing.
What's everyone's favorite character? I have to say mine is Javert. He is so incredibly complex!!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Mariaalmonte

Post by Mariaalmonte »

i think that this book its great to read and very interesting because i kn ow hat there might be people that are gonna want start filming and this book is great for that. :wink:
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

Hugo goes into painstaking detail with his history, his scenery, and his character development. Reading on can be frustrating sometimes because you just can't see where the author is going. Minute descriptions of people, places, and political views abound. I personally prefer Germinal by Zola but Les Miserables is really great.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

I fell in love with Les Miserables when I first saw the movie from 1998 (not musical). It was assigned to us as a school project. Years later, another movie came out and I knew I had to see it again. Then I told myself that I had to read the book if the movies gave the original story justice. I can say that there are slight differences but still, the storyline is very much there, and I very much feel the emotions in both movie and book.
kkuritz17

Post by kkuritz17 »

Topic: Les Miserables ****Not really a spoiler. Simply my foreshadowing of some characters behavior****
Many years ago I read the first few hundred pages of the unabridged version of Les Miserables. I loved how you learned a lot about the bishop and his beliefs. It really opened my eyes when he was walking in the garden and came across a spider scampering away. The bishop could not bring himself to kill it since he knew it was not the spider's choice to be born the way it was. Some people quickly kill spiders out of fear or misunderstanding due to their displeasing or scary appearance. Many don't stop and think of how beneficial a spider can be to society. While watching the creature rush to escape, the bishop contemplates how a spider has to survive with all the disdain brought upon him... even though the creature helps society survive.
I love how this small part of the book teaches a wonderful lesson while foreshadowing numerous of Victor Hugo's characters.

-kkuritz17
Ardentreader_19
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: The misery
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardentreader-19.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ardentreader_19 »

'Les Miserables' is one of the most touching stories I have ever come across. The character Jean Valjean becomes the reflection of people who are misunderstood and who are not even given a chance. The book conveys the message,'' the society gives birth to criminals, not circumstances''. As in when people are forced to steal due to poverty, society and the authorities should not be so quick as to condemn them. Instead, they should try to understand and help them. My most favorite part is where the Bishop gifts the silver candlesticks to Jean Valjean.
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chainsawcat.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChainsawCat »

I cannot think of this book without re-entering the world in which I read it: hiding books under my desk in 6th grade, reading them secretly in class the minute I finished my silly worksheets I was assigned. It was a very good book through which to escape to a different world. I don't reaaallly want to re-read it and discover that it was very silly, which I sort of suspect might be the case.
lettiebeth

Post by lettiebeth »

Les Miserables is at the top of my to read list. I'm having trouble trying to figure out which edition is the best, though. I can't read it in the original language, but I prefer to read books as complete and unabridged as possible. I've read a few excerpts of Hugo and love what I've read, but I've never read any of his books! It's kinda of fun to still have a reading frontier I haven't explored. But still! I can't wait to get to know Hugo's works!

Return to “Classic Books”