Pride and Prejudice vs The Great Gatsby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Varsha22
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varsha22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Re: Pride and Prejudice vs The Great Gatsby

Post by Varsha22 »

Great Gatsby is a great book. I love the literary knowledge it brings to people's lives but in my perspective nothing could ever beat Pride and Prejudice.
Jane Austen's work is exemplary and in my humble opinion nothing could ever beat her.
anw516
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anw516.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by anw516 »

I love both of these books! Even though I personally love Pride and Prejudice a lot more than The Great Gatsby, I feel like they're hard to compare. They have similar themes of love and what it means to be a woman in society (especially in relation to the economy), but in each book the focus on each theme and the way they're approached, as well as the ultimate conclusion about them, are so different.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I never liked Gatsby. I listened to it on audiobook and I still couldn't get into it. I love Pride and Prejudice though. Gatsby just didn't have enough romance in it for me, but I'm like that with a lot of the classics.
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

Pride and Prejudice is too good of a book to be compared with this book. It was one of my favourites during my adolescent age.
Hannah Oakey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-oakey.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B09BFPTTV4

Post by Hannah Oakey »

Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite classic books. I have read it a few times and it still sparks joy every time. I was very disappointed with the Great Gatsby, it just didn't seem to go anywhere. I'm not really sure what the point of the novel was. As far as I can remember Gatsby hardly appeared in the novel at all. It was a story that left me feeling nothing, I had no enjoyment from reading it.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

Pride and Prejudice hands down. I'm not wild about The Great Gatsby, but the only book I like more than P&P is Persuasion.
Philosopher2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philosopher2022.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Philosopher2022 »

I have heard so much about this book and i think it is time to check it out. I will come back to leave a comment once i am done reading it.
Willow Dunn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willow-dunn.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Willow Dunn »

Pride and Prejudice as a novel but Gatsby as a character
Willow Dunn :reading-4:
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I have not read Pride and Prejudice only watched the movie. I have read Gatsby, I must say that it was difficult to read and follow through with. Right now I vote Pride and Prejudice but maybe I should read the book.
T J 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-j-6.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by T J 6 »

I have to go with Gatsby. I have read it three times and still haven’t gotten tired of it.
abdulhannanabbasi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by abdulhannanabbasi »

"Pride and Prejudice" is a romantic novel set in early 19th century England that follows the story of Elizabeth Bennet and her relationship with the wealthy Mr. Darcy. The book is a social commentary on the rigid class system of the time and offers witty observations on the customs and mores of the era.

"The Great Gatsby," on the other hand, is a tragic novel set in the Roaring Twenties that follows the story of Jay Gatsby and his doomed love affair with Daisy Buchanan. The book explores themes of decadence, excess, and moral decay in American society during the Jazz Age.

The post concludes by noting that while both books are beloved classics that offer insights into the human condition and complexities of society, they offer different pleasures and rewards. "Pride and Prejudice" is a charming and witty romance that explores social class and the limitations imposed on women in a bygone era, while "The Great Gatsby" is a haunting and evocative novel that critiques the American Dream and the disillusionment that often accompanies it.
Marquesa
Favorite Book: A Promised Land
Currently Reading: The Housemaid
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marquesa.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by Marquesa »

These two books are hardly comparable. Yet, Pride and Prejudice would be my choice.
Fateme Ataei
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fateme-ataei.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Fateme Ataei »

I find it difficult to imagine a book that could top Pride and Prejudice. The polite debates between the characters and the representation of a confident and rational young woman, like Elizabeth Bennet, truly captured my attention. Although I enjoyed The Great Gatsby, it didn't even come close to the greatness of Pride and Prejudice.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

I cannot get enough from Pride and Prejudice! Personally I love Period novels/dramas/movies so that's why I'll go for this one. The Great Gatsby might be the second option, I do not dislike it, but compared to the former I will absolutely count on it i.e. Pride and Prejudice. There are two main reasons for choosing and loving it. The first one is because it's a classic and I'm a big fan of Classical fiction. The Great Gatsby falls in the category of late-classic or maybe modern literature and I preferably keep it a second option. The other reason for choosing Pride and Prejudice is that I mentioned earlier, Period era is love!
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Luisa Duranova

Post by Luisa Duranova »

The great gatsby is a classic book written by Francis Scott Fitzgerald (Fsf). I have read more books from Fsf and The great gatsby is the best one. It’s a bit boring at first but than it gets more interesting.Overall i’d give it 9/10

Return to “Classic Books”