Pride and Prejudice vs The Great Gatsby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ramlah Osman
Currently Reading: Please Protect Us
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: Pride and Prejudice vs The Great Gatsby

Post by Ramlah Osman »

I've always been in love with this book, read it multiple times it's so romantic reading it and imagining their drama, I would never mind reading it all over again, I love it :lol:
Mari Thompson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

I haven’t read either and don’t plan to. Aren’t these both movies now?
Priya Mathew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-mathew.html
Latest Review: The Hotel Detective and his Lover by Derek Picot

Post by Priya Mathew »

While both 'Pride and Prejudice' and 'The Great Gatsby' are classified under the broad category of romance on Audible, they belong to very different genres. For me, 'Pride and Prejudice' stands out as a timeless classic in the romance genre. I've read it multiple times and have enjoyed exploring the nuances of its characters, the societal commentary, and the wit that Jane Austen brings to the narrative. Additionally, I've watched nearly all the various movie adaptations, finding each interpretation fascinating.

On the other hand, 'The Great Gatsby' left a different impression. I read it once, initially intrigued by the hype surrounding it as a romance novel. However, my experience differed from the expectations. The novel, in my view, is more about the American Dream, delving into the complexities of wealth and societal values. While it's a compelling work with its own merits, I found it to be more of a commentary on the Jazz Age than a traditional romance.

In a scenario where I have to choose between the two, I'd undoubtedly go with 'Pride and Prejudice.' Its timeless appeal and exploration of love within the social context resonate more with my personal preferences in the romance genre.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." - Charles W. Eliot
Princess 2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Princess 2022 »

Pride and Prejudice vs The Great Gatsby may feel a bit formulaic, ticking off a lot of the hallmarks of contemporary fiction as it goes, but at its heart this novel really is something altogether more charming. There’s an inspiring message underlining this story, and a reminder to challenge yourself and embrace new opportunities wherever possible. It’s a lovely message, and it’s one that’s made a lot more effective when it’s told with a likeable character in such a warm, easy package.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I very much love this book and I also loved the Great Gatsby.
Christa Joshua
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading: Sister B
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Christa Joshua »

Is great Gatsby real that poor I would like to know more about this book and why exactly is this book so bad?
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

Pride and Prejudice will always have my vote because I simply can't get enough of the book—I've lost count of how many times I've read it again because it never gets old.

Return to “Classic Books”