Pride and Prejudice vs The Great Gatsby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
a1coder
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Pride and Prejudice vs The Great Gatsby

Post by a1coder »

It's wonderful to hear that you have a deep appreciation for classic literature, particularly Pride and Prejudice! It's a timeless masterpiece that has captured the hearts of many readers. Everyone's literary preferences are unique, and it's interesting to see how diverse opinions can be. While you didn't find The Great Gatsby to your liking and gave it a 1-star rating, others might resonate with its themes and storytelling. That's the beauty of literature – it evokes different reactions from different people. If you're open to it, exploring more classics might lead you to discover new favorites that align more closely with your taste. Happy reading!
VIKING Hell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by VIKING Hell »

"Pride and Prejudice" focuses on social class and personal growth within the framework of romance, while "The Great Gatsby" delves into the disillusionment of the American Dream and the complexities of human desires and relationships. But "Pride and Prejudice" appeals more to me as the gatsby is no merly near to it.
mylittlehappynook
Favorite Book: We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Currently Reading: Bright Triad (The Brightness Trilogy 1)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mylittlehappynook »

I really like both of these books, but if I had to choose I would pick Pride and Prejudice for sure!
Upphilan Paul
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

I prefer Pride and prejudice! The book is super! Check it out, you'll be convinced.
Tricia Lopecillo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tricia Lopecillo »

I'm currently reading Pride and Prejudice; I've always known it's a classic. Now I'm loving its honesty and sincerity. I haven't read The Great Gatsby, but I've known it for a while. Perhaps after I've read all of Jane Austen's novels.
Rukayya Yusuf Hameed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukayya-yusuf-hameed.html
Latest Review: The Golden Manuscripts: A Novel by Evy Journey

Post by Rukayya Yusuf Hameed »

Funny enough. I have read and watched Pride and Prejudice but never read The Great Gatsby or even watched the movie.😂
But very soon. I will. Then I will make my judgments.
Ris Hi
Currently Reading: The Physics of Morals
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ris-hi.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Ris Hi »

Determining whether "Pride and Prejudice" or "The Great Gatsby" is "better" largely depends on personal preferences and the thematic elements that resonate more strongly with individual readers.

"Pride and Prejudice" excels in its exploration of societal expectations, the complexities of romance, and the role of women in 19th-century England. Jane Austen's wit, engaging characters, and social commentary make it a beloved classic, particularly for those who appreciate romantic and societal themes.

"The Great Gatsby," on the other hand, offers a vivid portrayal of the Roaring Twenties, delving into the pursuit of wealth, the American Dream, and the disillusionment that follows. F. Scott Fitzgerald's critique of society and exploration of the darker aspects of ambition resonate strongly with readers drawn to themes of aspiration and the consequences of materialism.

The determination of which is "better" often comes down to personal taste and the thematic elements that speak to an individual reader. Both novels are lauded for their unique qualities, storytelling styles, and the themes they explore. Ultimately, the "better" book is the one that resonates more deeply with each reader based on their preferences and interests.
roddma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roddma.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by roddma »

While both works are great, I'd still choose Pride and Prejudice. It depicts how society treated women as second class citizens.
ALMEEM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ALMEEM »

In my opinion, "Pride and Prejudice" stands as the superior novel. Jane Austen's keen insights into societal norms, her timeless portrayal of love, and the strength of character development make it a literary masterpiece. The humor and wit infused into the narrative create an engaging and enjoyable reading experience. While acknowledging the merits of "The Great Gatsby," I find "Pride and Prejudice" to be a more resonant and enduring work of fiction.
Daniel Muniu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Daniel Muniu »

Pride and prejudice can be complicated book, but for anyone who loves reading is a fantastic classical book anyone would enjoy reading.
Determination is key
Ish_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ish-123.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Ish_123 »

I think both of the books were great in their story, plot and characters. However if we are talking about the book, I really enjoyed reading The Great Gatsby when compared to Pride and Prejudice.
Many people dislike it saying it has a lot of loose ends but that's what I liked about the book.
Fitzgerald's way of storytelling leaves room for the reader to think and imagine all sorts of possible scenario and I have fun analyzing what more the book could have been. While Austen's writing is also very intricate and excellent, filled with a lot of analysis on feelings and emotions of the characters.
Personally, Gatsby was more my thing because I like being given the freedom to explore all parallel universes that could exist and pride and prejudice kind of keeps you constricted towards the story that is being told.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

I really like Pride and Prejudice among the classic novels. Even after reading it a few times, it never fails to make me happy. The Great Gatsby left me feeling incredibly let down because it seemed to be going nowhere.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

It will always be Pride and Prejudice. It was the first movie I liked of this type with every version has made after Gone with the Wind, and I loved it even more after reading the book. But The Great Gatsby, I don't think I haven't read it, but I didn't like the movie. Even the decor and scenery were not an attraction.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: Doing it All by Whitney Casares

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

i dont think i would ever pick any book over pride and prejudice. Great Gatsby is a good book but no where near pride and prejudice
Ceildric
Currently Reading: Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceildric.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Ceildric »

Even if one does not particularly like The Great Gatsby, I can't imagine how one could give it a 1 star rating. You would be saying it is in the bottom 25% of books (assuming a 4 star scale) or worse (with a more granular scale). There are so so so many poorly written books out there, with far less to express.

As for which is better, I do lean towards Pride and Prejudice, but I think both have their strengths. I find Pride and Prejudice to be the more engaging page-turner, with a clearer plot. While The Great Gatsby to me was superior at evoking an atmosphere and making one feel what it was to be in that circumstance.

Return to “Classic Books”