What Defines a Classic?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: What Defines a Classic?

Post by srividyag1 »

In my opinion, classics are books which have withstood the test of time. And are from a different era, compared to the social, political, cultural situations of today. Classics must have literary value and must not be just scintillating prose. They must be deep and invoke poignant thoughts.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

This is a good question. Personally I think age is a major determinant for a classic followed closely by its contribution to the literary sphere. In other words, it must be well-written, have a big impact on society and memorable.
cassandra l
Currently Reading: A Woman's Prerogative
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by cassandra l »

I think a classic has real literary value and is considered by literary critics to be "a classic". These books are normally older and highly read, but even books like Harry Potter are considered classics for children. So, I am not entirely sure if there is definite criteria to be a classic.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Sacred Tyrak by Aklin Reed

Post by Isaac Oh »

I think the definition of a classic book is relative. Most modern books are classics too.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I think simplicity in writing style but complexity ik emotional development of characters is what defines a classic book
borussiakr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-borussiakr.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by borussiakr »

I don't know. I was wondering this these days, when I finished reading The Old Men and The Sea. In my head, I thought "Is that right? it's not possible". I even had a little chat with my dad about it, because he loves fishing and could feel a connection to the story, I don't know. In short, I intend to read it again, perhaps with a clearer head (I was reading some more technical books) and draw my conclusions.

After all, did anyone here have any deep insights into this Hemingway classic? :eusa-think:
Ashley Price 3
Favorite Book: Home Body
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-price-3.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose

Post by Ashley Price 3 »

I think a classic is a book that can always be relatable in any decade of the future. In other words, a book that can stand the test of time.
IgnisRhapsody
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignisrhapsody.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by IgnisRhapsody »

I think that only time can define what a classic is. I like to believe that every classic book has meaning. If a book teaches us something, and that lesson is so good that it survives for decades, it deserves to be a classic. I admit that I know "classic" books that in my opinion do not teach anything positive, but people still like them. So the interpretation of what is a classic is a bit subjective.

Return to “Classic Books”