Frankenstein: Or the modern Prometheus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HiipsterGlasses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Frankenstein: Or the modern Prometheus

Post by HiipsterGlasses »

I read it recently, adored it! Mary Shelley is such an excellent writer. I was expecting a bit more... horror, from the way people
describe it. It wasn't quite gory enough for me I'm afraid, but that's just my expectations. Still enjoyed it thoroughly.
Andrew2048

Post by Andrew2048 »

First I read it when I was 16. It was about a year ago, it is when I first started to read books. The version I read had been translated into Russian. It's become one of the best books I've ever read ever since! Now I wanna read it in English edited of course, but there are still so many damn words I don't understand!
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

I never read Frankenstein, but I watched countless movies about Frankenstein. I guess, to be honest, it raises questions on how far science can truly go.
Mpilis

Post by Mpilis »

Just finished reading the last page of this book. It's kind of heavy in my heart after reading this book.

About everything in order. When I started reading the book, I thought it was a horror movie. It seemed to me that the monster created by the scientist would do terrible things, be evil and terrifying. Instead, I saw a kind being with a big heart, whose beautiful soul was trapped in an ugly body. And I thought that people are also hostages of their bodies. First of all, a person evaluates the external beauty of another person. A beautiful person is perceived a priori as cool, good. No one wants to look into your soul if you have an ugly body and face. Already in the process of communication, a person can change his mind, but this is only later. The first impression matters a lot.
This work shows us how far a person can go in pursuit of his ambitions. People need to weigh all their actions and think about how these actions will affect close and dear people, whether they will harm them. A person cannot live only as he wants and do whatever he wants. We all have parents, brothers, sisters, friends, loved ones, and we have no right to hurt them in pursuit of our dreams.

There are people who have no one and they are free in their actions, they have no one to answer to. But they are unlikely to be happy with such freedom. A vivid example of this is the creature created by Frankestein.

I liked the book, in general. It is easy to read and leaves a mark on the soul, but for me it is important.
ABaker97

Post by ABaker97 »

This is one of my favorite books! I read this in middle school, college, and I have taught it to 8th graders for the past two school years. I did not know until college that it was the FIRST true horror story, since during that time, women writers were rare, and for Shelley to have written it, was quite impressive. The story behind why is also interesting.

As for teaching the story, with 8th graders especially, it’s important to focus on the nature v. nurture aspect of the story. If Victor hadn’t abandoned the creature, would things have ended differently, or is it ingrained in the creature to be bad? It’s also exciting to hear and see different and changing perspectives that people have on both Victor and the creature.

Great read for anyone!
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

The otherworldliness to it is what draws me in. The darkness of the experimentations, giving life from out the darkness. It was a gory, if not horrific caricature of child birth. Given out of a woman comes a child, but here out of a man comes a monstrous creation.
Aisyah Nasir 1
Currently Reading: Mrs Dalloway
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisyah-nasir-1.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Aisyah Nasir 1 »

I read Frankenstein for my literature course at school. At first, I assumed it to be just another gore classical fiction, like what I used to watch on TV. But, this literature class has really opened my eyes regarding this piece.

First of all, the author of this genre is a woman! Imagine writing this piece of art during that era. Despite that, Mary Shelley became among the first authors to write within this genre, science fiction and faith. Another thing I stumbled upon during my research on Frankenstein was that it was written during the peak of The Enlightenment era and the early existence of Science. This has led to many questions, challenging God and the coexistence of faith and Science.

My teacher also explained it was written based on one literary work (i forgot the title), comparing the Creature in Frankenstein to Adam, the first man on Earth. Adam, a saint, turned evil. Meanwhile, the Creature, an evil, turned into a saint. Just amazing.

I could still remember how heated the discussion was in my class. Ever since that, Frankenstein has become my favourite literary work. I sometimes got upset watching the adapted Frankenstein movies out there, which had totally washed away the values of the original piece. But, I respect them as it is all up to people's interpretation.

Return to “Classic Books”