The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Re: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.

Post by Anirudh Badri »

This is one of my favorite books of all time. I still remember iconic characters like Abbe Faria. Even today, I love a good story about revenge and I think that stems from how much I liked the Count of Monte Cristo.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

This is my favourite book! It is so varied and wide-ranging and the ideas of revenge and forgiveness really make you think. It's like 3 or 4 great novels all in one!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

ThrivingDad wrote:The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all time favorites. The beauty of this book is that you take away different lessons when reading it at different ages. When I first read it, it was in middle school, and I thought it was a great adventure. Then I read it again just a few years ago, and the experience was completely different(and better).
I love that book too! It's one of my favourite classics and I keep going back to it. My experience reading it changes everytime I read it.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Glamdring
Currently Reading: Life of Pi
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Glamdring »

I love this book, for a several reasons:

- It's the best of Dumas essence. Quick pace, full of adventures and historical intervening, easy to read, colorful, dark & cheerful at the same time. I like it even more than Three Muskateers.
- I still remember my first time reading it. I was no more than 8 years old, my dad had just brought a brand new book and I jumped right to it. The Count of Monte Cristo. I was hooked immediately. Some visitor came into our family's room and my parents talked with him/her, but I had no idea because my eyes were glued to the book. The visitor put out some candy plate and I reached it without breaking eye contact with the book :geek2:
Finished it in 1 or 2 days.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

The Count of Monte Cristo is a classic story of wrongful imprisonment, hidden treasure, and revenge. It is truly a masterpiece. The Count of Monte Cristo has seen life not only in print but in film and television, but one cannot appreciate the novel unless you read it in its entire unabridged length. A must-read classic.
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

I was first introduced to this story through the movie that came out in the 2000's. I loved the story. I immediately bought the book, but have since struggled to get through the whole thing. It might be time for me to pick it up and give it another go!
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII
RuhiAngel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RuhiAngel »

Have not perused the book yet but rather I adore, Love, LOVE the film that turned out in 2002. My whole family adored it. I got the inclination that it remained consistent with the book. Anybody realize how evident it was?
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I read the simplified version then watched the movie. That's a yikes to most of my reading friends so I don't know if my opinion still counts but I absolutely loved this book. It was a true gem and one of the few classics I've enjoyed in all the years I've been reading.
coffeeteal
Currently Reading: The Grand
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B07RB71NTN

Post by coffeeteal »

This is one of the books which I read in a summer holidays during school. Later after joining work, I bought the unabridged version and read it again and saved to my collection. I may not read it again but this is one of the books which had a lasting impression on me as a child and gave me lot of thoughts about the lives grown-ups have to lead.
H-333
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h-333.html
Latest Review: Delta: In the Middle of the Lake by Nike Izmaylov and Michelle Izmaylov

Post by H-333 »

I think that this was the first classic I read back in High School when it was assigned reading for an English class. I absolutely loved it and got interested in reading more of the classics because of this book. I can't believe that I never thought about finding an unabridged version to read. Now I'm feeling inspired again to read the whole story after all these years.
paulkinyuao+

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

I read this book at the beginning of my discovery as a person who likes to read.
I still remember wetting its pages and tasting its words.
Sitting here in adulthood, am happy it was my first kiss.
lettiebeth

Post by lettiebeth »

Yes, yes, yes!
I'm not a big fan of fiction, but for whatever reason I picked up a fat paperback copy of The Count of Monte Cristo at a library book sale. That might have been the best fifty cents I've ever spent.
I was absolutely enthralled. I have not read any other Dumas yet. I wonder how his other works compare to The Count?
For me, this was one of those books I could hardly stand to put down until I had completely inhaled the whole thing.
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

The Count of Monte Cristo are one of the best classics. it is one of the most interesting novels.
edsahara

Post by edsahara »

I recently read The Count of Monte Cristo and really enjoyed it. I made sure to read the unabridged version. Even though this is a very large book, I enjoyed it all the way. While reading the book, I came across another of Dumas' books, My Memoir. I was so impressed with Cristo that I wanted to learn more about Dumas and his memoirs revealed what a fascinating person he was. I have The Three Musketeers on my list to read in the near future.
billday10
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: grapes of wrath
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-billday10.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by billday10 »

I want to try reading it in its original French one day. Has anyone here done that before? Where there instances where you went 'oh! I would not have translated it this way' and did it change your interpretation of the story?

Return to “Classic Books”