scientific and/or secular approach

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

scientific and/or secular approach

Post by AntonelaMaria »

This book gives information about the origins of the cosmos and human destiny. The authors give arguments that there shouldn't be a reason for the separation of two approaches to those subjects.
On which side of the spectrum do you fall; scientific or secular? Did this book do a good job of convincing you otherwise? Can those two ideas coexist together?
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I think that these two ideas can coexist together, especially if you look at it objectively. Anybody has the ability to look at things objectively, it's just whether they choose to. Comparing and contrasting approaches can help gain a more well rounded view and one that is much more informed! So I think I can fall in the middle of secular and scientific!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: The Hermit Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I believe in creationism. This book didn't convince me of that though. The amount of research information was overwhelming at times. I think that God created everything supernaturally so scientific research of the natural evidence would be wrong.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Maddie Atkinson

Mounce574 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 13:21 I believe in creationism. This book didn't convince me of that though. The amount of research information was overwhelming at times. I think that God created everything supernaturally so scientific research of the natural evidence would be wrong.
Playing devils advocate here, but can't scientific research help to understand God's creation? Sure, maybe it shows that it didn't happen the way in which the Bible said it did, but He still created everything, maybe just through the Big Bang, and researching the natural world can help us to understand what He created and why He created it? Just another idea and way of looking at it! Not trying to offend you and your beliefs!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Nferdi20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nferdi20.html
Latest Review: When No One Else Believed by Ron Tripodo

Post by Nferdi20 »

I believe that science has answers to a lot of things. However, when it comes to supernatural things such as the creation of the universe and what happened before that...... science cannot explain. Those things that science cannot explain about the origins of time and space are beyond our human understanding at this time.
Lunupine
Favorite Book: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunupine.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Lunupine »

I think I would go with scientific. Can the two go together is a yes. The deal is there are people who work on this that believes. They have their own feelings on it but they still work on the scientific approach. One thing is the fact that nothing is wrong in being curious about either side of them.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I fall on both sides of the spectrum. I believe in the Bible, and I believe in Science. I know the two can co-exist together. I feel that this makes faith easier for many people because the evidence is so clear.
Stephanie Runyon

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 14:02
Mounce574 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 13:21 I believe in creationism. This book didn't convince me of that though. The amount of research information was overwhelming at times. I think that God created everything supernaturally so scientific research of the natural evidence would be wrong.
Playing devils advocate here, but can't scientific research help to understand God's creation? Sure, maybe it shows that it didn't happen the way in which the Bible said it did, but He still created everything, maybe just through the Big Bang, and researching the natural world can help us to understand what He created and why He created it? Just another idea and way of looking at it! Not trying to offend you and your beliefs!
Science trumps science. The Big Bang Theory states that molecules exploded from nothing and then randomly stopped as the universe. Physics states for every action there is a reaction plus it is proven that once molecules are in motion they can only travel a straight line. The Earth spins on an axis and rotates around the sun. It physically is impossible that The Big Bang Theory is true. I still side with thr supernatural powers of God.
I take no offense when anyone challenges my beliefs or opinions. We are all entitled to express our thoughts in a constructive manner.
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Mounce574 wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 01:19
Science trumps science. The Big Bang Theory states that molecules exploded from nothing and then randomly stopped as the universe. Physics states for every action there is a reaction plus it is proven that once molecules are in motion they can only travel a straight line. The Earth spins on an axis and rotates around the sun. It physically is impossible that The Big Bang Theory is true. I still side with thr supernatural powers of God.
I take no offense when anyone challenges my beliefs or opinions. We are all entitled to express our thoughts in a constructive manner.
Regarding the Big Bang Theory I recommend you to try Friedmann's next book, Mysteries of the First Instant, that debates exactly that. Maybe it can be useful for you to reconcile science with religion.
Sam Lauren
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Currently Reading: The Dovekeepers
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-lauren.html
Latest Review: To love in vain by Pedro Merchant
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Sam Lauren »

I believe you have to have both in order to see the biggest picture. For centuries, there has been a war over the people. Science VS Religion VS Magic. The first two are always trying to have dominance over the others, when what they really need is balance.
Maddie Atkinson

That's okay that you believe that God created everything! Personally I believe that the Big Bang was created by God and everything else from then on was His plan. The molecules never stopped, the universe is forever expanding and expanding and background radiation is the echoing sounds of the aftermath of the Big Bang. The Earth is spinning on an axis yes, but it is travelling in a straight line, it is the gravitational pull of the sun that keeps it going round it. If the sun's gravity suddenly turned off, we would just fly off in a straight line! So personally I believe that God is the reason for all of that. Everything is perfectly placed and God made it so, but He did that through the Big Bang, in my opinion!
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

Nferdi20 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 14:43 I believe that science has answers to a lot of things. However, when it comes to supernatural things such as the creation of the universe and what happened before that...... science cannot explain. Those things that science cannot explain about the origins of time and space are beyond our human understanding at this time.
I completely agree with you. Science does not have all the answers with regard to the origins of the universe.

Another point that was brought up in the book was with relation to when this world will end. The reality is that we have no way of knowing that. We can speculate based on scientific evidence; however, there is no way of knowing, since we can't foresee what the future holds.

How important is it to know exactly how and in what time frame everything originated? While it might satisfy curiosity, it doesn't answer the deep-seated questions of life. And as for how and when things will end, shouldn't we be more focused on living life to the best of our ability now? Sometimes we get so focused on the past and future and completely ignore the present.
Stephanie Runyon

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 07:29

That's okay that you believe that God created everything! Personally I believe that the Big Bang was created by God and everything else from then on was His plan. The molecules never stopped, the universe is forever expanding and expanding and background radiation is the echoing sounds of the aftermath of the Big Bang. The Earth is spinning on an axis yes, but it is travelling in a straight line, it is the gravitational pull of the sun that keeps it going round it. If the sun's gravity suddenly turned off, we would just fly off in a straight line! So personally I believe that God is the reason for all of that. Everything is perfectly placed and God made it so, but He did that through the Big Bang, in my opinion!
I think it is plausible that the Earth might have been created that way but what caused the sun?
Maddie Atkinson

Mounce574 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 01:25
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 07:29
I think it is plausible that the Earth might have been created that way but what caused the sun?
How do you mean? Creationists believe that the sun would have been created when God said 'let there be light'. Those who believe in the big bang will believe that, like other stars, it was created through dust and gas particles (formed from a gas cloud expanding and exploding into a supernova) in space having a gravitational pull towards each other, and when they collided they started to form elements through nuclear fusion, creating hydrogen and helium at the very core of it, and it is this that the sun is burning which is why it is on fire. The denser these particles get, the stronger the gravitational pull, which is what causes us to orbit around the sun, keeping us going in a circle, despite the earth's molecules wanting to go in a straight line.
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

I believe that both sides are complementary. I see science as the logical backing to the scriptures. The Bible answers the questions, while science explains them.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”