scientific and/or secular approach

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Re: scientific and/or secular approach

Post by Jasy95 »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 10:45 By reason, it would seem that if a person believes that God created everything, then wouldn't that also include science. He would have created the scientific and mathematical principles we study in school—even if they may not be mentioned in the classical scriptures. If that's the case then, then there would be no argument (or commercialization of that argument) about science and religion. Right?
I completely agree with this! This is actually how I've always looked it it. Thank you for articulating the complementary nature of these two things so well
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I believe both sides can co-exist. I've always seen the biblical creation story as being more metaphorical than literal. What is one day to God? It could be millennia. The only reason people don't see the two as being complementary is when they take a literal approach to the bible, a text which itself is, at best, a second-hand accounting of most of the events it contains. If you take a less literal approach, science can fit in nicely.
karpusha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by karpusha »

Mounce574 wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 01:19
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 14:02
Mounce574 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 13:21 I believe in creationism. This book didn't convince me of that though. The amount of research information was overwhelming at times. I think that God created everything supernaturally so scientific research of the natural evidence would be wrong.
Playing devils advocate here, but can't scientific research help to understand God's creation? Sure, maybe it shows that it didn't happen the way in which the Bible said it did, but He still created everything, maybe just through the Big Bang, and researching the natural world can help us to understand what He created and why He created it? Just another idea and way of looking at it! Not trying to offend you and your beliefs!
Science trumps science. The Big Bang Theory states that molecules exploded from nothing and then randomly stopped as the universe. Physics states for every action there is a reaction plus it is proven that once molecules are in motion they can only travel a straight line. The Earth spins on an axis and rotates around the sun. It physically is impossible that The Big Bang Theory is true. I still side with thr supernatural powers of God.
I take no offense when anyone challenges my beliefs or opinions. We are all entitled to express our thoughts in a constructive manner.
But doesn't the creation theory implies that everything was created by the god who was created from nothing
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I believe that if science was given more time to explore things that are yet to be discovered in our universe, we might find more answers and a lot of things would make sense.
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

Science and religion are both speculations about the working of the world. Science just requires less assumptions and can provide more evidence for its theories than religion - this book did not convince me of otherwise.
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

Nferdi20 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 14:43 I believe that science has answers to a lot of things. However, when it comes to supernatural things such as the creation of the universe and what happened before that...... science cannot explain. Those things that science cannot explain about the origins of time and space are beyond our human understanding at this time.

I agree, although science has the answer to many questions, some will always remain elusive. The question of the origin of the world and the universe is really huge and I don’t think the human mind can fathom it. Biblical teaching is intertwined with science, and it is essential that the story of God’s creation of the world is not taken literally.
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

I take a scientific approach to the things that I can see or touch, but science has its limitations. It does not give the full scope of the origin of the cosmos.
rondanoh1
Favorite Book: 101 Dalmations
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rondanoh1.html
Latest Review: Daniel and Revelation for Today by Mae Abdul-Karim Wertz
Reading Device: B07K1RZWMC

Post by rondanoh1 »

I think the authors did a good job of explaining the two sides. When I was little, I asked my dad why science explained creation differently from the Bible. He said that we shouldn't think of the days of creation as being 24 hours, that God created 24 hour days for us. Since then, I have thought of science and the Bible as going together and have realized that we don't have to take what is written in the Bible literally according to our Western way of thinking.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

A better understanding of the universe calls for both secular and scientific perspectives; none of those dimensions supersede the other. Moreover, when one draws insight from two autonomous disciplines, they compliment each other.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I once asked a rabbi what he thought of the story of Exodus, that is, did he believe the tale of Moses, and was it all true or simply a fabrication. His response was interesting. He didn't exactly say that he believed in the historical accuracy of the events. His answer was, "I believe that something happened at Sinai." I've taken that lesson to heart for these last several years. And although I concur with the scientific explanation for the creation of the universe, I am convinced that way back there, in the beginning, something happened that we, as mere humans, are incapable of explaining. I guess you could say that I am totally committed to scientific theory. But, with just a tiny grain of salt.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I accept both science and revelation. However, I think that revelation is more true and confirmed that science. This is because revelation does not change and is fixed. The facts contained in the revelation have been confirmed by the Creator. Therefore, the One who created the world has better knowledge of it.

Science changes too much, scientists are human beings trying to understand the world but they don't get everything right. They get some things right to some extent sometimes. Things are seen as facts for some time, then later found to be disproven by someone else. Scientists also agree with each other. It is not objective, but rather each person interprets findings from his subjective viewpoint and what relates to his belief system. In the past, scientists argued about whether the world was flat or round, whether the sun was moving or stationary amongst other things. Now, these arguments have ended but there are always others.

So personally, it's far better to put faith into something that is not going to change or be disproved later on...
Myladysarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myladysarah.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Myladysarah »

I believe the two can coexist, but I felt that this book didn't do a very good job convincing it's audience of that. The majority of the author's evidence for his theory consisted of beliefs and ideas from various notable Jewish figures in history. Furthermore, the ideas of those figures were evidenced by the Torah. I think the author could not make an argument convincing for a non-believer with mostly religious evidence. I thoroughly enjoyed his speculations, but I consider it to be just speculation.
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

I would take the midway. There are a lot of natural phenomena that need a scientific explanation which could be explained in the future with the advancement of technology. Or maybe we are not supposed to know too much and that's God's way of keeping us on the ground. All we need to do is stay on the right path and everything will fall into place.
Zwelakhe_mkhatshwa
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelakhe-mkhatshwa.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Zwelakhe_mkhatshwa »

When explaining the creation of the universe, it possible that both religious and scientific approach are complimenting each other. But has more science progress religious falls due to its lack of evidence.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I don't fall on either side, but if I had to choose I would definitely choose scientific. I don't think so, because science is all about sound explanations and facts, while religion is about faith and blindly believing.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”