scientific and/or secular approach

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Re: scientific and/or secular approach

Post by Katherine Smith »

Your question is one that is thought of by both the scientific and religious communities. For myself, I fall somewhere in the middle of embracing both the scientific and religious aspects of human existence. I believe that neither approach can resolve all of our questions nor give us all the answers that we seek. I also believe that both traditions can coexist peacefully since they seek to understand the same questions.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

Science always looks for proof or reason(s) for an event. If the big bang truly leads to the creation or evolution of man, why haven't they find a cause for the event of the big bang? I asked myself this question and I concluded that definitely, a super being must have been in existence that allows every condition that leads to the big bang to be in place. If that is the case, we can still say a super being (God), created everything.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

Wherever scientific evidence doesn't fully give an explanation, it's the secular spectrum that comes in to cover the gaps. In this respect, both can coexist.
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

Mounce574 wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 01:19
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 14:02
Mounce574 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 13:21 I believe in creationism. This book didn't convince me of that though. The amount of research information was overwhelming at times. I think that God created everything supernaturally so scientific research of the natural evidence would be wrong.
Playing devils advocate here, but can't scientific research help to understand God's creation? Sure, maybe it shows that it didn't happen the way in which the Bible said it did, but He still created everything, maybe just through the Big Bang, and researching the natural world can help us to understand what He created and why He created it? Just another idea and way of looking at it! Not trying to offend you and your beliefs!
Science trumps science. The Big Bang Theory states that molecules exploded from nothing and then randomly stopped as the universe. Physics states for every action there is a reaction plus it is proven that once molecules are in motion they can only travel a straight line. The Earth spins on an axis and rotates around the sun. It physically is impossible that The Big Bang Theory is true. I still side with thr supernatural powers of God.
I take no offense when anyone challenges my beliefs or opinions. We are all entitled to express our thoughts in a constructive manner.
It is the current, continued movement of everything as the universe continues to expand that is the evidence of the Big Bang Theory. Molecules in motion travel in a straight line only if they do not meet any opposing force, so that also is not a contradiction. The reason that planets orbit the sun is due to the laws of gravity, which also govern the expansion of the universe as larger masses like the sun attract smaller masses like earth, altering their trajectory by pulling them into orbit. When the earth was pulled into the sun's orbit, the direction of motion was changed by the force of gravity, so your example supports, not disproves, the principles of Physics. That the planets orbit the sun, if you truly understand physics, is further evidence of the motion of expansion of the Big Bang Theory.

As a Christian who appreciates science, I think it's difficult to make an argument against science without fully understanding it. Personally, the more I learn about the intelligent design evidenced in scientific discoveries, the more the infinite wisdom and strength of God are revealed. It's impossible for me to look at the complexity and wonder of his creation explored through science and decide that since it doesn't fit a certain narrow interpretation of the Bible, it must be false. Our God is an awesome God, and a deep understanding of physics and the laws of the universe deepens my appreciation of his design and power. To explore the intricate workings of the universe and the incredibly unlikely conditions that enabled our existence is the closest I can come to understanding God's unfathomable wisdom and purpose; It is humbling.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 07:10 This book gives information about the origins of the cosmos and human destiny. The authors give arguments that there shouldn't be a reason for the separation of two approaches to those subjects.
On which side of the spectrum do you fall; scientific or secular? Did this book do a good job of convincing you otherwise? Can those two ideas coexist together?
I like to believe that the two ideas can coexist together. I'm a firm believer of "anything is possible" adage. I grew up with a Christian faith so I do know what the Bible teaches but I can't say that I don't believe in what the science is saying. I think science and secular go hand in hand.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Phoenix_ Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Phoenix_ Thompson »

I believe science and religion can coexist together as one tool can be utilised to resolve misery of the other. Simply fact, the bible covers the creation in with science can't prove and likewise goes for science.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I think the two ideas can co-exist together. Most beliefs and belief systems are based on some form of interpretation. Science provides evidence for the way that things are in the world. I love science and I see it as a way to support my spiritual beliefs.
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

I tend to lean towards scientific approaches, because of the amount of reasoning or proof behind it. Science is a secular topic as it has no relation to religion, but the two cannot be grouped. There's always a reason for occurrences in science, whereas secular approaches deal with chances. There isn't really an ultimate cause or reason for anything dealing with secular views, so the two are related but cannot coexist in specific arguments and views.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I believe and trust in the Bible. However, I can agree with science on the age of the universe but not how things came to be, such as evolution. God is omnipotent and no matter how hard we try to explain his ways, we will never be successful.
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

Nferdi20 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 14:43 I believe that science has answers to a lot of things. However, when it comes to supernatural things such as the creation of the universe and what happened before that...... science cannot explain. Those things that science cannot explain about the origins of time and space are beyond our human understanding at this time.
With time science can reveal all the answers. Once upon a time, it is believed that Earth is flat and is in the centre of the universe. But now we know otherwise! So I believe that increasing technology and scientific minds would finally answer all the questions we have about the universe.
lani_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by lani_21 »

Science and Secular have their own way of explaining things. I believe in both spectra because Science concerns mostly with the natural while Secular in the supernatural. Science explains things based on facts and rational thinking while Secular is based on our individual beliefs, whatever our religion is. But the important is through Science, we can make a reason why something happened while Secular can explain how supernatural things happened (through Bible). They both want to provide an answer to understand the world.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 07:10 This book gives information about the origins of the cosmos and human destiny. The authors give arguments that there shouldn't be a reason for the separation of two approaches to those subjects.
On which side of the spectrum do you fall; scientific or secular? Did this book do a good job of convincing you otherwise? Can those two ideas coexist together?
I don't think any book can truly make an exhaustive case for the mutual coherence of the two approaches. All I can say at the most is that both approaches have some solid points that I believe will be part of the truth as a whole about human life, origin, and meaning.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I grew up believing a literal interpretation of the Bible. Then I heard about the theory that each creation day could actually be an era. I began to see that science did not necessarily contradict the Bible. Our understanding is limited, and as we learn more, we see that scientific evidence actually moves us closer to Biblical truth. So, I side with the Bible, but I don't believe science always contradicts it.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I am a firm believer in science, thus I have to admit I approached this book cautiously. I found it enjoyable in the end but from here to say that the book changed my mind on the larger scale, I would definitely say no. I see that there are attempts at reconciling these two views, but I think it is a very hard and difficult task, not fully convincing so far.
dragontale7
Currently Reading: Furyborn
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragontale7.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by dragontale7 »

This book did a good job of convincing me that scientific and secular perspectives can coexist together. I tend to fall on the science of science, and this book only managed to make my question my perspective on some things. I don't think opposing views from perspectives can be reconciled for everything (as of right now), but this book does a good job of making the argument for a couple of key points.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”