scientific and/or secular approach

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Phoenix451
Currently Reading: Respect
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix451.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Re: scientific and/or secular approach

Post by Phoenix451 »

It's a question I've been asking myself for some time. I believe in science, but obviously it's a process of discovery, so findings could change. I want to be on both sides, but I struggle with the fact that there are so many religions. I did appreciate this book though. I haven't read any others as thorough on the subject.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Science cannot and does not have all the answers as it is still evolving. Supernatural events and creation of Life can be explained as Gods Creation. Some answers of life can also be found through the scientific approach, but only physical evidence is where the true problem lies. Without proof science does not acknowledge many theories as they're base less. It's difficult to prove your thoughts exist if ever science questioned their existence.
Lauren Doughty
Currently Reading: Street Gang
Bookshelf Size: 875
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-doughty.html
Latest Review: Head Waggling in Delhi by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lauren Doughty »

As I tend to be more of a secularly minded person, I'm going in to this author's argument with a bias. I don't think reading one book would really have that much of an effect on my views, unless I was impressed enough by it to seek out similar writings by the author or related works. Due to my current bias and point in life, I'm not willing to give the author's argument a chance enough to take the time to really read the book and give it its due.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I definitely fall on the scientific side of the spectrum, but also believe that the secular side plays a large role in society so it can be difficult to view the different approaches separately.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I believe in creationism. Science doesn't have an answer to a lot of things. Some things are just beyond human comprehension and are only known to the divinity.
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

As science deals with things that can be easily understood by a natural man, science can most of the times be right about the creation of Cosmo. And this is the fragments of God's mystery that God has revealed to man. But about human destination, this involve a world different from our physical world, and I'm sure neither secular nor science could be followed, but one's personal conviction about his/her destination should matter because heaven deals with individual human uniquely.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

The two realms could coexist. In fact, we have not understood the reconciliation. If we isolate science from the secular, we only lose each other's relevance. The scientific reveals the truth of creation and the creator.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

I do not think that both can successfully coexist together since both employ a different means of verification and confirm. One employs scientific tools and hypotheses, the other must be on the basis of faith. I certainly do believe that we are a result of the creation story in the Biblical account as it appears more rational to me than evolution from apes.
KapuKapu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kapukapu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by KapuKapu »

The two sides can coexist together as their is no definitive explanation about the origin of the cosmos.
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

The human mind cannot proof or disapprove the existence of the supernatural. Am option three. What the two does is come up with theories. Whether you choose to believe them is up to you.
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

Nferdi20 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 14:43 I believe that science has answers to a lot of things. However, when it comes to supernatural things such as the creation of the universe and what happened before that...... science cannot explain. Those things that science cannot explain about the origins of time and space are beyond our human understanding at this time.
I'm glad you said at this time because I'm sure many people thought some diseases in the past that have cure today were God's doing and couldn't be understood and cured by men. They eventually did through science. Maybe that could also happen with knowledge about creation.
Bookreviewer71
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer71.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear Continues by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Bookreviewer71 »

The scientific approach provides a sense of stability that the human mind craves in this uncertain world. On the other hand, the predictions of each religion vary, making them unforeseeable. I don't think these two approaches can co-exist. Because genesis and end-of-day concepts are just ideas, we speculate about, whereas the evolution based on Big bang has a certainty about it. A rational mind always needs solid answers, not speculations.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think both aspects can co-exist together if you keep an open mind. I believe some religious events can be explained in a scientific way, but there are also certain things that are mysterious and unexplainable. While logic is necessary, you can always use it to justify things. I believe in thinking rationally, at the same time I believe in miracles.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: Not Fishy Enough
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Personally, I have always been on the fence regarding the science vs. faith debate. I don't see why both concepts can't be true. This book echoed my opinions, so I was not swayed either way.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I believed before this book that science proves the Bible. However I don’t agree with the authors theories about Genesis. I don’t believe that millions of years passed in those days that God created the earth. I believe that the earth has been around for a few thousand years.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”