scientific and/or secular approach

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Re: scientific and/or secular approach

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[quote="Maddie Atkinson" post_id=1635250 time=1614777160 user_id=2006511]
[quote=Mounce574 post_id=1635121 time=1614752719 user_id=1424579]
[quote="Maddie Atkinson" post_id=1634760 time=1614688191 user_id=2006511]

That's okay that you believe that God created everything! Personally I believe that the Big Bang was created by God and everything else from then on was His plan. The molecules never stopped, the universe is forever expanding and expanding and background radiation is the echoing sounds of the aftermath of the Big Bang. The Earth is spinning on an axis yes, but it is travelling in a straight line, it is the gravitational pull of the sun that keeps it going round it. If the sun's gravity suddenly turned off, we would just fly off in a straight line! So personally I believe that God is the reason for all of that. Everything is perfectly placed and God made it so, but He did that through the Big Bang, in my opinion!
[/quote]
I think it is plausible that the Earth might have been created that way but what caused the sun?
[/quote]

How do you mean? Creationists believe that the sun would have been created when God said 'let there be light'. Those who believe in the big bang will believe that, like other stars, it was created through dust and gas particles (formed from a gas cloud expanding and exploding into a supernova) in space having a gravitational pull towards each other, and when they collided they started to form elements through nuclear fusion, creating hydrogen and helium at the very core of it, and it is this that the sun is burning which is why it is on fire. The denser these particles get, the stronger the gravitational pull, which is what causes us to orbit around the sun, keeping us going in a circle, despite the earth's molecules wanting to go in a straight line.
[/quote]
Okay, I think I misunderstood what you said. So in theory God said let there be light and that caused the Big Bang part. But what I am thinking, if both are correct then maybe the Big Bang was slower because he didn't create Earth until the next day? Instead of what I pictured as a sudden explosion might actually be a slow expansion over days?
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

I believe the Bible is a Jewish storybook. I also believe that science has provided a lot of answers that the Bible cannot provide. But still when looking at the solar system and how earth has been specifically designed to provide life on earth, I am led to belief there's a powerful, intelligent scientific being out there, one who has a flare for perfect design.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Post by Praise GodWord »

Ultimately, the concept of science and secular are not distinct things. Rather science and sacred are. For me, the two can still co-exist. Science is an attempt to discover the creation of the cosmos by the Sacred. It is not an attempt to refute the sacred and enthrone it's a hypothesis. I agree with the both, to the extent they agree with themselves.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Mounce574 wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 04:11
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 08:12
Mounce574 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 01:25 I think it is plausible that the Earth might have been created that way but what caused the sun?
How do you mean? Creationists believe that the sun would have been created when God said 'let there be light'. Those who believe in the big bang will believe that, like other stars, it was created through dust and gas particles (formed from a gas cloud expanding and exploding into a supernova) in space having a gravitational pull towards each other, and when they collided they started to form elements through nuclear fusion, creating hydrogen and helium at the very core of it, and it is this that the sun is burning which is why it is on fire. The denser these particles get, the stronger the gravitational pull, which is what causes us to orbit around the sun, keeping us going in a circle, despite the earth's molecules wanting to go in a straight line.
Okay, I think I misunderstood what you said. So in theory God said let there be light and that caused the Big Bang part. But what I am thinking, if both are correct then maybe the Big Bang was slower because he didn't create Earth until the next day? Instead of what I pictured as a sudden explosion might actually be a slow expansion over days?
Exactly yes! The Big Bang happened about 14 billion years ago (13.8 to be precise), the earth was formed about 4.5 billion years ago. The explosion happened and then the expansion happened after that slowly. So when it says God created the universe in 7 days, maybe thats in 'God years', but to us that is 2 billion years per day, if that makes sense?
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
_geothereader_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geothereader.html
Latest Review: Living Forward After Loss by Kathleen Ho

Post by _geothereader_ »

I am on a scientific side. If science can't fully explain the creation of the universe, it doesn't mean that it is wrong. It means that we, humans, have not enough knowledge to explain it yet. Perhaps, in 50 years the Big Bang Theory will be dismissed and another theory will take its place.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

I trust you must have both to see the greatest picture. For quite a long time, there has been a battle over individuals. Science VS Religion VS Magic. The initial two are continually attempting to have strength over the others.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

:P
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 07:54
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 08:12

Exactly yes! The Big Bang happened about 14 billion years ago (13.8 to be precise), the earth was formed about 4.5 billion years ago. The explosion happened and then the expansion happened after that slowly. So when it says God created the universe in 7 days, maybe thats in 'God years', but to us that is 2 billion years per day, if that makes sense?
I am not certain about the time part because I have read other books and they come up with different measurements. But that makes more sense now
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Megamind136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megamind136.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Megamind136 »

I actually don't think that the argument on Religion and science is ever going to end. I also don't think you can believe the two. The actually contradicts each other
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Mounce574 wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 13:07 :P
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 07:54
I am not certain about the time part because I have read other books and they come up with different measurements. But that makes more sense now
well the maximum age is thought to be around 14.5 billion years but no older than that. They can only estimate, but based on the oldest light in the universe (the afterglow of the big bang - also known as cosmic microwave background) they estimate between 13.8 - 14.5 billion years!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

If I had to choose between Science or the Bible, I would always choose the Bible. I think they can be compatible and I think that a lot of scientific data does support the Bible. I think the two can coexist, and this book did not change my opinion on anything. It did however make me aware of things about the Talmud and Kabbalah that I did not know.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

The author has managed to convince me that the two worlds can coexist. However, I fall on the scientific approach for sure; not only I study sciences but I'm also one of the least religious people I know.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Trustedbook
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Trustedbook »

The two are interrelated, in that science has come to answer questions from the scriptures, while the scriptures is the source of the question.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I believe both should be able to coexist. It makes it so much less stressful and less time-consuming. One gives us moral grounds and one helps us advance and live better in the world we were given by God.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

Nferdi20 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 14:43 I believe that science has answers to a lot of things. However, when it comes to supernatural things such as the creation of the universe and what happened before that...... science cannot explain. Those things that science cannot explain about the origins of time and space are beyond our human understanding at this time.
I agree with you. Science has a lot of answers, and normally I would choose science to justify something but we can't always refer to it. That's in those cases when talking about the origins of time and space, etc.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

By reason, it would seem that if a person believes that God created everything, then wouldn't that also include science. He would have created the scientific and mathematical principles we study in school—even if they may not be mentioned in the classical scriptures. If that's the case then, then there would be no argument (or commercialization of that argument) about science and religion. Right?

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”