Biases

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Biases

Post by cd20 »

Mvictoria wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 11:15
cd20 wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 15:38
I am not a history lover or science lover, but I do like and appreciate clear facts. I do believe that the Bible and science can go hand in hand. However, I do not feel that the author portrayed that well. His biases led him in a slightly different direction and most of his work came from the Kabbalah and Talmud. The author also states that the Talmud is critical to understanding the phrase "that it was good," and I do not agree with him. I had never heard of Kabbalah and the Talmud before reading this book.
I had never heard of these books either and this book opened my eyes to the vastness of Jewish texts and scholars! It was my previous understanding that the Old Testament was the main Jewish book. I think it would be really interesting to read these books for myself and clarify the meanings in the Old Testament. I especially want to read the Kaballah after reading this book!
I do think it would be interesting to see how those books align with the Old Testament, but I am not so intrigued that I will actually go do it. It would be interesting to see what all is included, but if I understood the author correctly, they do not have many copies of these books as we do with the Bible. It's interesting.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 22%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

It's my bias that made me decide to read this book. Jewish mysticism is so much more interesting and noteworthy than Christian mysticism. Once I found out that this book was Kabbalah-centric and focused on the Hebrew Bible, then I knew it was for me. Having studied some of the ancient Jewish mystics and philosophers, and dabbled a bit in studying the Kabbalah, I was ready to gobble up a modern-day approach to thousands of years of speculation about creation and the end of days. If the book had been more concentrated in Christianity, I would have passed on it.
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Mstrtim wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 10:29 It's my bias that made me decide to read this book. Jewish mysticism is so much more interesting and noteworthy than Christian mysticism. Once I found out that this book was Kabbalah-centric and focused on the Hebrew Bible, then I knew it was for me. Having studied some of the ancient Jewish mystics and philosophers, and dabbled a bit in studying the Kabbalah, I was ready to gobble up a modern-day approach to thousands of years of speculation about creation and the end of days. If the book had been more concentrated in Christianity, I would have passed on it.
Yeah, I had not realized it was so heavily centered on Judaism. I had never heard of the Kabbalah before and have no idea where to get my hands on the book. I did learn quite a bit about Judaism from this book, but my biases going in did not really change after I had finished the book. There are a few things that I struggled to understand, but it was interesting seeing a different perspective being presented.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

My biases were that I am not religious and am against organized religion in general. I always approach religious "proofs" with a critical and doubtful eye. That bias did not change with this book however I was pleasantly surprised with the way the book was written from a scientific standpoint with lots of historical contexts. I notice that a lot of accounts that attempt to combine religion and science tend to rely mostly on faith rather than actual science.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I'd say I'm generally disinclined to trusting anyone who claims to have answers to questions that are difficult on an existential level. But I like to have my opinions tested even though they might remain unchanged in the end.
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

Its very hard to be completely open minded without any bias as our whole lives have been shaped according to certain beliefs, mine being that the Bible is the gospel truth.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Wy_Bertram wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 02:46 I'd say I'm generally disinclined to trusting anyone who claims to have answers to questions that are difficult on an existential level. But I like to have my opinions tested even though they might remain unchanged in the end.
Yes, exactly!!! How can we really know since we were not there? I think it is interesting that people try to prove the answer to the tough questions, but it is hard to believe them as facts. Especially when we all have our own biases that skew our perspectives. I did learn a few things from this book, and I did appreciate the author letting us know his biases before we got too far into the book.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I think everyone will have a bias and different way of approaching the Biblical Clock. I tend to be open minded and like learning other peoples' perspectives (even those who I don't necessarily agree with). I do believe religious material and science can coexist. Even when they do not, if that is what the interpreter of the Bible or scientific journals want to do, they will probably accomplish their goal. The tricky part isn't if they can convince themselves of the connection but rather if they can convince others.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Rwill0988 wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 18:42 I think everyone will have a bias and different way of approaching the Biblical Clock. I tend to be open minded and like learning other peoples' perspectives (even those who I don't necessarily agree with). I do believe religious material and science can coexist. Even when they do not, if that is what the interpreter of the Bible or scientific journals want to do, they will probably accomplish their goal. The tricky part isn't if they can convince themselves of the connection but rather if they can convince others.
You have explained this very well. Especially "The tricky part isn't if they can convince themselves of the connection but rather if they can convince others." I could not agree with you more. I also believe that "religious material and science can coexist." I have been doing a study with my youth group and it is amazing the similarities between The Biblical Clock and the study. In the study, you have scientists that are making the point that religion and science can coexist.
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

I come from a Christian background and we studied the Bible very well, but I try to keep an open mind when it comes to listening to or reading the scientific points of view about Christianity and the Bible.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

CGO wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 14:26 I come from a Christian background and we studied the Bible very well, but I try to keep an open mind when it comes to listening to or reading the scientific points of view about Christianity and the Bible.
I am a Christian, but not really from a Christian background, but I do know the Bible very well. I had not realized that this would be heavily from a Judaism background, but I did learn a lot. I would get lost in some of the science details, but I do believe that science and religion can co-exist.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I was a little biased because I am not a religious person. I was skeptical going into this book because I did not see how the author's biblical explanations would overturn my belief in scientific facts and theories. After reading it, I am still unsure, but the author definitely gave me several scenarios to think about.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

I read it to see the author's take on the subject. He shared his religious and scientific background in the prologue to the book. I am neither Jewish nor scientific, so it was interesting to see another view on this subject.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Cwilde13 wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 12:20 I was a little biased because I am not a religious person. I was skeptical going into this book because I did not see how the author's biblical explanations would overturn my belief in scientific facts and theories. After reading it, I am still unsure, but the author definitely gave me several scenarios to think about.
LOL, and I was biased because I AM a religious person. However, I do not agree with everything that the author says, but I do believe that science and religion can co-exist. I agree that the author has given us several things to think about and presents several interesting arguments.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Miercoles wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 20:01 I read it to see the author's take on the subject. He shared his religious and scientific background in the prologue to the book. I am neither Jewish nor scientific, so it was interesting to see another view on this subject.
I am not Jewish or scientific either. I think the author presented several interesting points, but I do not necessarily agree with everything that he said. I did learn a lot about Kabbalah, I had never heard of it before this book.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”