Biases

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Re: Biases

Post by Dayodiola »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 20:37 I think my biases are that I resent the Church (so I won't agree or believe anything that comes from that institution) and that I'm stubborn, so it would be pretty difficult for any book, and not just this one, to change my mind about anything.
Although a Muslim, my biases is unto religion as a whole. Sometimes I question my religion doctrine, but I don't fiddle deep maybe as a result of my religion.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

teacherjh wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 10:20
I do believe there are similarities in science and the Bible, but yes, there is obviously contention as well. The author has relied heavily on Jewish texts, rather than Christian texts to make his points. I imagine that has to do with his biases that he mentioned at the beginning of the book.

I enjoyed how he used Jewish texts. I was unfamiliar with most of them, and it was refreshing to learn something new.
I had never heard of several things that the author had talked about, so I also learned a lot from the Jewish texts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I have always believed that science exists to dispute the religious aspects such as Christianity. However, I am quite convinced that science and religion can work abreast in explaining certain phenomena.
Fireside119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Fireside119 »

I liked that the authors outlined their backgrounds and biases. Readers will also have biases depending on whether they subscribe to creationism or the scientific approach. I, however, don't think that anyone will look to this book for convincing on which approach to follow.
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Seroney_ wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 09:16 I have always believed that science exists to dispute the religious aspects such as Christianity. However, I am quite convinced that science and religion can work abreast in explaining certain phenomena.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. I do believe that science and religion can go hand in hand. I do not believe that science exists to dispute Christianity, although some scientists have chosen to try and do that.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Fireside119 wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 15:19 I liked that the authors outlined their backgrounds and biases. Readers will also have biases depending on whether they subscribe to creationism or the scientific approach. I, however, don't think that anyone will look to this book for convincing on which approach to follow.
I also liked that the authors outlined their biases, as it does give us a good idea of where they are coming from with their thoughts and beliefs. I also agree that readers do come to a book with their own biases. I think you are right or at least hope you are, that no one will "look to this book for convincing on which approach to follow." I feel that the book left more questions than answers.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I read books with an open mind because I like to be as objective as possible in my judgment. This mostly works for me, but sometimes I can sense my ingrained biases seeping through as I read. In this case, I judged the book based on the authors' doing what they said they will, which is reconciling the scientific and Biblical creation timelines.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 08:34 I read books with an open mind because I like to be as objective as possible in my judgment. This mostly works for me, but sometimes I can sense my ingrained biases seeping through as I read. In this case, I judged the book based on the authors' doing what they said they will, which is reconciling the scientific and Biblical creation timelines.
I would like to read books with an open mind, but it doesn't always happen. I thought this book would be different from what it was. I also felt that the author did not completely make his point, leaving more questions than answers. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint.
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

I don't thing I'm having any bias ideology before reading this book because any research book like this that I'm about to read, I tackle it with open mind so as to learn. And the book has not changed this.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

GreatReviews wrote: 01 May 2021, 02:23 I don't thing I'm having any bias ideology before reading this book because any research book like this that I'm about to read, I tackle it with open mind so as to learn. And the book has not changed this.
I like to think that I don't come to a book with a particular bias, but I also find it hard not to. I am glad that you are able to approach a book without a bias. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
KapuKapu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kapukapu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by KapuKapu »

My bias was that the scientists theory about how old the universe is was flawed as it directly contradicted my beliefs but as the author accurately explained about the concept of time, my reasoning has changed and m open to other possibilities.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

KapuKapu wrote: 18 May 2021, 02:35 My bias was that the scientists theory about how old the universe is was flawed as it directly contradicted my beliefs but as the author accurately explained about the concept of time, my reasoning has changed and m open to other possibilities.
I don't want to change your beliefs, but I did not feel that the author's research was completely accurate and his sources had their own bias. He used a lot of Wikipedia, which really did not sit well with me. I do not see that as an accurate source. I am not saying he is wrong (or right), but I do not necessarily think his sources are all good. Thanks for sharing your opinions.
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Foluso Falaye »

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 18:20 Actually, I’m not a biased person in any way, I’m always very objective when making judgements and honestly the author changed nothing about that. I do however agree with the author in respect to the scriptures and science, I believe that there is a similarity; one greater than most people admit and there is also a conflict and iv seem very many philosophers try to solve it.
My belief is if one looks hard enough at two things, one can find similarities, even more so when it's a story about the creation of the world narrated from beings of the same species.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I definitely had a bit more of a bias towards religion since I was never particularly interested in science. But I was pretty unfamiliar with Judaism so most of this was uncharted territory for me. I also definitely was somewhat sceptical going in just because of the seeming unlikelihood of a book genuinely being able to align religion and science together. I wasn't looking to be convinced, I just wanted a book that was well-written, well-researched and well-backed-up in what they're arguing, and I think that's definitely what I got
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: Not Fishy Enough
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I began reading this book with an open mind. I have always been fascinated by both religious viewpoints and scientifc, so I was somewhere in the middle. The book provided great arguments for combing both. So, because my views were already in line with the authors, I did not change my mind after reading this.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”