Biases

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Icon Biases

Post by cd20 »

In The Biblical Clock, the author says, "Let me tell you about my background and potential biases." What biases did you have when you started this book? Did they change as you read the book? Why or why not?
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

My biases when I began this book were a basic mistrust of any author until I could read more and discern where the story was coming from and what the foundational knowledge in the presentation was based upon. This mistrust is an ingrained thing that helps me and sometimes can hinder me in some studies. But, overall, it gives me the discernment and patience I need to spend time researching and learning with any book life presents to me. Great question!
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

VernaVi wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 23:55 My biases when I began this book were a basic mistrust of any author until I could read more and discern where the story was coming from and what the foundational knowledge in the presentation was based upon. This mistrust is an ingrained thing that helps me and sometimes can hinder me in some studies. But, overall, it gives me the discernment and patience I need to spend time researching and learning with any book life presents to me. Great question!
I tend to agree with you. I also have that ingrained mistrust and want to see where the author is going with their subject matter before trusting them or not. I find it helpful to see what biases they also hold and what books/articles they use in their research.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

Actually, I’m not a biased person in any way, I’m always very objective when making judgements and honestly the author changed nothing about that. I do however agree with the author in respect to the scriptures and science, I believe that there is a similarity; one greater than most people admit and there is also a conflict and iv seem very many philosophers try to solve it.
_geothereader_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geothereader.html
Latest Review: Living Forward After Loss by Kathleen Ho

Post by _geothereader_ »

As a history geek, I like clear facts, and I've read about the Bible mostly from the historical viewpoint. I was concerned about the objectivity of the book before reading it, and, unfortunately, the author couldn't convince me that science and the Bible go hand by hand. For example, many historians believe that for the Jews of the 1st century CE the End of Days meant the specific event, namely the destruction of the Second Temple. Thus speculations where we are now regarding the End of Days are meaningless.
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

I do anyway concur with the creator in regard to the sacred writings and science, I accept that there is a similitude; one more prominent than the vast majority concede and there is likewise a contention and iv appear to be a lot of savants attempt to settle it.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 18:20 Actually, I’m not a biased person in any way, I’m always very objective when making judgements and honestly the author changed nothing about that. I do however agree with the author in respect to the scriptures and science, I believe that there is a similarity; one greater than most people admit and there is also a conflict and iv seem very many philosophers try to solve it.
That's good that you have managed to not be biased in any way. I think it is something that most people struggle with. I also agree there is a similarity between Scriptures and science, although most scientists do not admit it.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

_geothereader_ wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 11:53 As a history geek, I like clear facts, and I've read about the Bible mostly from the historical viewpoint. I was concerned about the objectivity of the book before reading it, and, unfortunately, the author couldn't convince me that science and the Bible go hand by hand. For example, many historians believe that for the Jews of the 1st century CE the End of Days meant the specific event, namely the destruction of the Second Temple. Thus speculations where we are now regarding the End of Days are meaningless.
I am not a history lover or science lover, but I do like and appreciate clear facts. I do believe that the Bible and science can go hand in hand. However, I do not feel that the author portrayed that well. His biases led him in a slightly different direction and most of his work came from the Kabbalah and Talmud. The author also states that the Talmud is critical to understanding the phrase "that it was good," and I do not agree with him. I had never heard of Kabbalah and the Talmud before reading this book.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Fozia RYK wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 12:33 I do anyway concur with the creator in regard to the sacred writings and science, I accept that there is a similitude; one more prominent than the vast majority concede and there is likewise a contention and iv appear to be a lot of savants attempt to settle it.
I do believe there are similarities in science and the Bible, but yes, there is obviously contention as well. The author has relied heavily on Jewish texts, rather than Christian texts to make his points. I imagine that has to do with his biases that he mentioned at the beginning of the book.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I think my biases are that I resent the Church (so I won't agree or believe anything that comes from that institution) and that I'm stubborn, so it would be pretty difficult for any book, and not just this one, to change my mind about anything.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
cd20

Post by cd20 »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 20:37 I think my biases are that I resent the Church (so I won't agree or believe anything that comes from that institution) and that I'm stubborn, so it would be pretty difficult for any book, and not just this one, to change my mind about anything.
I am also very stubborn and agree that it would be pretty difficult for any book to change my mind as well. Do you mind me asking what made you resent the Church? It sounds like maybe someone in a Church hurt you in some way. If so, I am very sorry. My older sister also resents the Church. We were kids and the church bus came to take us to VBS and the bus driver told my sister she was too fat to wear shorts to church! It really soured her against churches, she will go to one every once in a while, but that was a deep hurt at an impressionable age.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

cd20 wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 13:55
MarianaFigueira wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 20:37 I think my biases are that I resent the Church (so I won't agree or believe anything that comes from that institution) and that I'm stubborn, so it would be pretty difficult for any book, and not just this one, to change my mind about anything.
I am also very stubborn and agree that it would be pretty difficult for any book to change my mind as well. Do you mind me asking what made you resent the Church? It sounds like maybe someone in a Church hurt you in some way. If so, I am very sorry. My older sister also resents the Church. We were kids and the church bus came to take us to VBS and the bus driver told my sister she was too fat to wear shorts to church! It really soured her against churches, she will go to one every once in a while, but that was a deep hurt at an impressionable age.
What a terrible thing to say to a child! I totally understand your sister, though the Church didn't hurt me personally. I think there an outdated institution, though recently the Pope approves of same-sex marriage (like anyone needed that approval to know that it's fine). But the worst thing was the scandal with the pedophile priests that abused children, I felt so disgusted by that. And lastly, we all know the Church (the Vatican specifically) has many resources, and they could do so much more for the world and it's like their hoarding riches, you know?
(Sorry for the long post)
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

My bias before I started the book was having different opinions from the authors. Also, when I was reading, I somewhat had a closed mind regarding some topics. I had to conform and be more compromising and now I think the author s did a great job with it.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
cd20

Post by cd20 »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 19:24
cd20 wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 13:55
What a terrible thing to say to a child! I totally understand your sister, though the Church didn't hurt me personally. I think there an outdated institution, though recently the Pope approves of same-sex marriage (like anyone needed that approval to know that it's fine). But the worst thing was the scandal with the pedophile priests that abused children, I felt so disgusted by that. And lastly, we all know the Church (the Vatican specifically) has many resources, and they could do so much more for the world and it's like their hoarding riches, you know?
(Sorry for the long post)
Don't apologize for the long post, I appreciate the comments and where you are coming from. Those things disgust me too, it is hard for people in leadership to fall from grace, so to speak, and then they give Christians a bad name. I recently told one of my friends that I was going to stop saying I am a Christian and start saying I am a Christ-follower because, through this whole pandemic mess, Christians were the ones who were complaining and causing issues :oops: It's ridiculous! I am a Christian and active in my church, but we don't always get things right. I have not agreed with the way people have done things, but I can't control them, I can only control myself. I also agree, not just the Vatican, but those mega-million dollar churches, they could have used the money to help homeless people or used it for good. Jesus was never confined to a building for His ministry and neither should we be.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

63tty wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 01:19 My bias before I started the book was having different opinions from the authors. Also, when I was reading, I somewhat had a closed mind regarding some topics. I had to conform and be more compromising and now I think the author s did a great job with it.
I can see that. I still have a closed mind to some of the things in the book and wonder why they put some things in, but I am almost done, maybe it will all make sense in the end.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”