Which side are you in?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
meike schroeder
Currently Reading: Say my name
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meike-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Re: Which side are you in?

Post by meike schroeder »

I’m in group 3.
I believe in GOD but I’m aware that the Bible was written in metaphors and in a lenguaje that we can all understand.
In my view science and religion, in this case the Bible, can go hand in hand.
The Bible is an interpretation of certain events and time in history. This events are told on experiences but it does not mean they are not real.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

Sam Lauren wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 06:42 I think there's a fourth group: people who are on both sides and believe that there is just more to it than we can possibly know as humans.
I definitely agree with this, and I think I belong in this group. There are a lot of things we don't understand and we will have questions we may never know the answer to because of our limitations as humans.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Post by Njokime »

I do not know what to think. Every individual comes up with their own believes and some maybe true and some false. All I know is that there is a higher being because everything in this universe is just extraordinary.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

I choose group three to have the necessary flexibility to critic the two. For example, science has helped to prove some of the theories within the Bible, and also enabled us understand that some are correct and some are wrong. For example, thanks to science we discovered that the planet is circular. But let me tell you that there isn't a scientist who does not believe in scriptures. Do you know that every scientific discovery was made over a given period of time. And that each of one of those scientists thought they would not achieve their ambition, but there might have been when each said, oh, what should I do next. And I bet God looked down on them and provided the most appropriate humanly way possible. Think about it. You may have had or always have such instances.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I am in the fourth group as mentioned a few times above. I’m in both groups. Mainly on the Biblical side, but do enjoy science too. But as was already mentioned, there is just to much info and ideas in both for humans to grasp completely.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I believe I would have to place myself in the first group, as I put more weight into science than biblical teachings. However, there is so much we don't know that I try to remain open-minded to other possibilities.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I am in 3. I know enough about the bible because it was forced at me. I am usually interested in learning about things and this is just one of what I looked into.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

I think there's a fourth group--though not stated but inferred--which are people who are on both sides and believe that there is just more to it than we can know as humans.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I don’t think there are just those three groups. I’m a firm believer that God created the universe, but I know science is real too. Someone mentioned there being a fourth group where we believe there are things we just can’t fully understand. I would place myself in that group.
fiocha1996_25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiocha1996-25.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fiocha1996_25 »

I'm definitely in group three. I believe in God and I also believe in science. I think when we see the creation as explained in the bible, we need to understand that first, the concept of time is relative we cant understand what God meant by six days. Second, the whole bible is a complex text, where things are not literal a lot of times. I firmly believe that both science and religion tell a similar story, we just haven't been able to join them. It's also important to accept that in matters of faith we cant base believes on results or evidence, unlike science.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I'm not in any of the three groups. I'm of the opinion that God is science. God has actually set the laws of nature for us as a means to guiding humanity. So, if science studies nature, and god work and relates with us through nature, then we can say:
God is nature.
Studying nature is studying God
So, as scientists study nature, they had indirectly been studying God—following the laws of nature then means following God's law.
Finally, as bible teaches how to study God, and work/walk in harmony with His ways, so also science teaches us how to work/walk in harmony with nature by obeying its laws.
However, this law of nature through which God looks over us can be transcend by prayer. For instance, as a reviewer on Onlinebookclub, I can be having an issue which could seem unsolvable according to the set guildlines, policies, instructions, and the programmed procedures of using the website; I may be able to transcend one or two of these policies by appealing to Scott Hughes. This is what prayer does to the laws of nature, and that what is called grace! And this is a fact about God that is lacking in science. However, science is, most of the time, true. Hence, Science is true about the creation of the universe. I believe science, and I believe in bible.
Signature of Grace.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I would fit in the third group and the fourth group introduced by Sam Lauren. I have enough information about both and I think there is more to it than meets the eye.
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

I'm of the opinion that science should be believed and bible should be believed as well. God normal way of dealing with man is through physical things which can be discovered accurately through scientific planning process and philosophising. So, biblical explanation of the origin of the universe should be considered as not detailed; the origin of the universe is not the main aim for establishing the bible. Hence, God himself has giving man the scientific knowledge and the ability to phylosophise. Science claim about the origin of the universe should be considered as the bible complement in this area.
Sidi_254
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidi-254.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Sidi_254 »

I fall under category three. God manifests in nature and Science recognizes the laws of nature. Both Religion and Science are important. One provides the moral code by which we live and the other helps us understand the world we live in.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I agree with Firefawkes. I’m not all that religious, so I definitely put more weight into science. However, I don’t think science can prove or disprove any religion because we’re constantly learning new things and our understanding of the world is constantly evolving. We might find out that the parts of the Bible we think are incompatible with science really aren’t after all, who knows?
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”