Has the God deceived us?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: Has the God deceived us?

Post by OB Brian »

Sushan wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 00:24 The author explains, quoting some of the historical scholars, that actually the earth is not old as the scientists claim. He suggests that the God has created it in several thousand years (a 'day' in God's creation is taken as a 'thousand years'), but has made it to look like billions of years old, with the old stones, fossils, rings on the tree trunks, etc. The author compares this with making a newly made Denim trousers to look old by fading its colour and ripping it.
God created a theoretical timeline of all of existence, starting from the Big Bang and spanning billions of years. In this theoretical timeline, stars were born and died, dinosaurs roamed the Earth, and different human-like creatures came and went. Then, at a very specific point in this timeline, God took a snapshot of the entire universe, exactly as it would look at that moment, and that’s what He created. In other words, God brought a world billions of years old into existence fewer than 6,000 years ago.
Do you think this is true? If so, has the God deceived us? But why? On the other hand, has science got it all wrong despite hundreds of years of studies?
God is God. He is all-knowing. If he deceived us, it is for a reason. I believe we were created. Perhaps the author is right about the world being billions of years old. It doesn't really matter because I believe the information God provides us with in the Bible is what we need.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

Science is reliable when it comes to certain topics but will never ultimately give all the answers as to how the universe came to be. The methods used by scientists to date fossils and other ancient materials will only be as accurate as long as we believe them. On the other hand, an idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it and it is possible that the earth is not even a million years old.
Phoenix_ Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Phoenix_ Thompson »

Well this is a tough one but God is divine, He has no time for deceiving us, He may have created a huge puzzle and hence it is was obligation to solve it not resolving to the extreme that God deceived us.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I don't think that God has any reason to lie or deceive His own. I think there is a mix up here, and things about God, creation and science can be Mysterious. To the best of my knowledge the earth existed before any Scientist and God's ways are not man's way.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

It seems highly improbable to me that the universe was created 6,000 years ago. God as the great deceiver goes against everything he stands for, so I don't believe in a deceiver God. Science is developing knowledge, not a point in time of established truth, and like experts in a court case, you can always find or buy opposing views. It's good that we don't know everything, there are still astonishing facts to learn.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Sushan wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 00:24 The author explains, quoting some of the historical scholars, that actually the earth is not old as the scientists claim. He suggests that the God has created it in several thousand years (a 'day' in God's creation is taken as a 'thousand years'), but has made it to look like billions of years old, with the old stones, fossils, rings on the tree trunks, etc. The author compares this with making a newly made Denim trousers to look old by fading its colour and ripping it.
God created a theoretical timeline of all of existence, starting from the Big Bang and spanning billions of years. In this theoretical timeline, stars were born and died, dinosaurs roamed the Earth, and different human-like creatures came and went. Then, at a very specific point in this timeline, God took a snapshot of the entire universe, exactly as it would look at that moment, and that’s what He created. In other words, God brought a world billions of years old into existence fewer than 6,000 years ago.
Do you think this is true? If so, has the God deceived us? But why? On the other hand, has science got it all wrong despite hundreds of years of studies?
I don't think this is true.
God created the universe and all other actions that followed are the consequences of the deeds of different objects in the universe or the living beings.
Years of scientific research is also not wrong. But after all I believe no one is above God. And he did not at all deceive us.
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

This question had me stopped in my track. God is an abstract concept, according to me. We all want to have hope and faith in our life, thus we all try to pin it on something or someone. More than once, we get deceived or betrayed which causes our own faith system to be destroyed and devastated. Thus, the abstract concept of God emerges and steps into the arena. The concept of being abstract without any tangible existence in this world doesn't help or harm us, instead, it gives us hope and helps in form of mental support. That's what God is for me.

So, how can an abstract concept deceive us? It is we who deceive ourselves, so it is we who deceived us.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Kelyn wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 11:51 No, I don't believe our creator has deliberately lied to us unless it is through a lie of omission. I do believe that their concept of 'time' is profoundly different from ours, if, indeed, they even have a concept of time. Remember that MEN wrote the bible. They were tasked with putting into words we could understand a timelime they themselves would have struggled with. I think that's where the 'disconnect' occured, not through a deliberate lie but through the limited knowledge and understanding of men. Thus, we find artifacts that seem contradictory. The creator's 'timeline' and that of mankind simply do not 'mesh' with one another.
I agree with you here that there might have been a disconnect between what God intended to communicate and how far human language could stretch to convey the intended message. God's timeline is a mystery. For instance, the second coming of Jesus that has been stated to be SOON. If it were mankind's, it could have happened a long time ago. But that's why God is God. Some things are just beyond human understanding.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I believe God never deceived us, and I find the author's opinion about God's theoretical timeline before actual creation had to grasp. The age of God's creation is just the way He says it is, and it could only be that His timeline differs from ours, hence the difficulty in understanding it.
Fireside119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Fireside119 »

Whether to believe in God or science is a binary choice as the two schools of thought tend to contradict. I personally believe in science since it can be backed up by evidence, unlike religion where inquisitiveness is discouraged.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I don't think God will ever deceive us. I think He has kept somethings hidden (in plain sight) because we don't really need to know everything now do we? I also think God's wonders will never end and scientists will keep discovering things from various angles. With that said, I don't think scientists have gotten it wrong, they just discover things in bits and pieces that's all.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Betty Gitonga
Currently Reading: Black Cherry Betrayal
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betty-gitonga.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Betty Gitonga »

God is incapable of lying. He has absolutely no reason to deceive humanity. I believe the earth is as old as scientists say. It is just hard for us to reconcile that knowledge with what we have been told as the creation story from Genesis. But the most important thing, in my opinion, is that God is the creator.
simo12
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by simo12 »

I don't think this is true do not believe God deceives his people. God has provided us with life, and how we perceive it, is totally us to think that God caused the Big Bang and the events that followed were a part of His plan. For the author's arguments and speculations to be true, either of these things should have happened; either God should have deceived us or the science has got all wrong.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

God did not deceive us. We tend to use the scripture that says that a day is like a thousand years in the sight of God. That is in His sight, not in reality. The earth has been in existence before science even discovered it.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I don't believe anyone really knows the answers to these things. Our curiosity as humans would always lead us to find explanations for complex inexplicable things. In the end, we can only make informed guesses. So no, I don't think God deceived us.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”