Has the God deceived us?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Re: Has the God deceived us?

Post by WADonnelly »

Many of these opinions that the author has are exactly that - opinions. This interpretation is a very different one and not something I had heard before. Many interpret the bible differently and the author has definitely done that here.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

We cannot say that because we cannot reconcile scientific theories or discoveries with accounts of creation of the Universe by God, that God has deceived us. Indeed, the ability to perceive must accounts of creation and take them by true cannot be validated by science but only by faith.
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

I'm more curious as to what would be the motivation for God to deceive us on how old the world is. Yes, in theory, God could have created everything and then made everything LOOK so much older than it is. But why do that? By bringing in false evidence to what we believe is reality, God is only giving us false trails to follow to support a scientific paradigm, without truly provable evidence in the other direction that He/She exists. I understand the biblical God is very fond of testing his followers, but asking us to completely ignore evidence that He also had to create seems like a waste of time for a diety. But, maybe it's all ineffable :)
Qer
Currently Reading: Immigrant Hustle
Bookshelf Size: 87

Post by Qer »

There has always been a huge debate when it comes to interpretation of Biblical timelines, days and years. That explains the presence of variant calendars each with their own number of days in a year and when new year begins. This I think is what causes confusion so I think man deceives man. God hasn't deceived man. I recon that it's our inability to gather enough inspiration to correctly interpret the Holy scriptures that has brought about varied conclusions based on opinions. My take.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

I don't think this is true one bit. Who are we to know the mind of God. I believe Science works to prove religion. The muddle comes from different interpretation of biblical truths. Hence the synoptic gospels are saying the same thing but from different aspects with few things added and some not added at all.
God hasn't deceived us to make the earth look older than it is, that can't even be proven, any error in that aspect would be from scientific research mistakes.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Maybe one thing I will never really be able to fully reconcile is scientific theories or assertions with principles of the Christian faith. I do believe that we are all a product of creation as contained in the biblical account, however I do not necessarily agree that God has deceived us or that science has not accurately predicted how old the earth is. I simply think science tries to give time frame to most creation stories which are hard to measure in time.
KapuKapu
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kapukapu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by KapuKapu »

God has not deceived us as per my reasoning, he is responsible for all of existence whether its thousands of years or billions of years old.
Tomes 2 Read
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomes-2-read.html
Latest Review: Rough Way to the High Way by Kelly Mack McCoy

Post by Tomes 2 Read »

I don't think God has deceived us. Rather, if we accept what the Bible says about God and His actions, He is the epitome of science and religion (faith). For example, the statement "By faith He made the heavens and the earth (science)." His actions throughout the Bible are exercises in faith made manifest in science. I've often believed that religion and science overlap - "The Biblical Clock" gives consideration to that argument. I appreciated its depth and ability to encourage intriguing discussions like this one.
leaana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by leaana »

"If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts, but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties."- Francis Bacon I don t think that god woul ever deceived us properly even if the science woulf find a lot of ways to prove something else. Daniel Friedmann got a point, I truly believe that God created the world beyond the explication that science gives us. The comparation between the denim trousers and how the manner world was created is just epic
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 16:55 Firstly I don’t think that God somehow deceived anyone secondly why would God make the earth then make it look older than it is? If you think he did it for no reason then he could have created us too for no reason. So yes the earth is as old as science says it is. Let us try to remember that this book isn’t the absolute truth as the absolute truth is unknown, this book is just yet another speculation of what the absolute truth is meaning that the author could be right or wrong.
I agree with you, science did not make anything but attempts to explain that which is already in existence. We cannot then fault a Creator and label Him deceiver, rather, science must attempt once more to give explanation that aligns with creation.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: Not Fishy Enough
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I'm not sure what I think about this topic. I would not say it was really a deception. But the authors also mention the concept of Adam's navel. If he were created from dust and not born of a woman, they argue, then he had no need for a navel (a remnant of the umbilical cord). Who knows if Adam even had a navel? Either way, the discourse is fascinating.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

I thought it was quite an interesting theory that I hadn't really encountered before. Whether it could be true or not is completely beyond my capacity to know, but it seems possible at least. I don't think we can really say we've been deceived by God when we really have no capacity to know his plan or understand divine methods
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I don't think God has deceived us. This theory of Him making the world seem old doesn't make sense to me. I mean we keep saying this is the 21st century, so obviously the earth has aged during the last 20 centuries on its own without God having to make it look old. Science and religion barely ever agree with each other and in this case, I strongly that science has got it all wrong.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

I don't think that either is wrong. He explained that the life of the earth is measured using an old rock. Scientists have assumed the earth to be as old as that rock. The author just claims that it should not be judged based on the old rock. And I do agree with the author.
Kiplangat Levi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kiplangat Levi »

Sushan wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 07:15
Nferdi20 wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 17:24 God has not deceived us. He created the universe, the Earth, stars, and life forms according to his divine plan. He left some things around for smart scientists to discover and explain. Other things have no scientific or earthly explanation... they just exist. Read Friedmann's next book, The Mystery of the First Instant. I think you will get a better understanding of God and his divine designs.
Are Friedmann's books are accepted as legit or the absolute truth? If I read his next book, I might have a clear understanding about his theory regarding God and His Creation. But how can we say that that is the truth?

Maybe God created universe and left somethings to be discovered by scientists. So, if what this author suggests is correct, has the God deceived us? If so, why? On the other hand, if He has not deceived us, has all the scientists gone wrong in their discoveries? Have they not been smart enough as God expected?
indeed God Did Not deceive us according to how He Created The Earth, He Knew Everything, That is Why He had to Created mineral Resources for Man in Time of Need, and whatever Research done By Scientist They are Only Finding What it has been created,
TO my own Understanding God NEVER DECEIVED US.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”