History repeats itself! Is this true?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

History repeats itself! Is this true?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

By studying various religious scriptures, the author has identified a general pattern according to which the events occur when God's Divine Plan (To make the physical world a dwelling place for God) is going to be fulfilled. As per the author, various leaders have emerged since Moses, such as David, Ezra and Esther, Simon Bar Kokhba, who would have fulfilled this task, but failed due to the opposition by the serpent (as per the author, the very serpent who made Eve to eat from the forbidden tree has continued his mission in preventing God's plans from happening).

So, according to the author, this general pattern happens as,

1. Bad events happen
2. Leaders emerge to command
3. Amalek war ( Amalek can be any nation at the time who opposes God's Divine Plan)
4. Building a temple (or the revelation)
5. Death of the leader

The author shows that this cycle has repeated several times, and he suggests that it will help us to predict the future events.

When studying the bible and other relevant religious scriptures, have you noticed such a pattern? Or is this merely a making of the author by arranging few historical facts into a pattern? Is this a proof for the saying, "history repeats itself"?
Sam Lauren
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Currently Reading: The Dovekeepers
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-lauren.html
Latest Review: To love in vain by Pedro Merchant
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Sam Lauren »

History absolutely repeats itself. We can see patterns in the growth of civilizations, especially ones with similar governments. If you look at the history of Ancient Rome, there are a lot of parallels to the United States. They also had a Republic. Elections grew increasingly expensive; politics became a path of wealth; as their economy depended more and more on other countries, the companies involved were able to sway policy makers for laws in their favor; there was a growing division between the rich and commoners, and right before the collapse of their republic they did away with the middle class. Their laws led them to having no middle class. Many economists says our middle class is dwindling too!
Sushan Ekanayake

Sam Lauren wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 06:34 History absolutely repeats itself. We can see patterns in the growth of civilizations, especially ones with similar governments. If you look at the history of Ancient Rome, there are a lot of parallels to the United States. They also had a Republic. Elections grew increasingly expensive; politics became a path of wealth; as their economy depended more and more on other countries, the companies involved were able to sway policy makers for laws in their favor; there was a growing division between the rich and commoners, and right before the collapse of their republic they did away with the middle class. Their laws led them to having no middle class. Many economists says our middle class is dwindling too!
That is quite a nice explanation and that shows how history can be repeated at a practical level. So for the political and social issues, we can learn things from the history and with the way of the things are going, we can predict certain things with the lessons that we learn from the history.

But is it possible to occur an exact pattern as this author suggests, not only once or twice, but four times? Has this pattern really happened or has this author put some events into a pattern and claimed of a similarity?
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Two Hunters
Bookshelf Size: 737
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Girl with the Flat Tire by Leon Loy

Post by Bertha Jackson »

History continually repeats itself. Look at the division in our country today. This division has many of the same aspects as the Civil War. Conditions in the Middle East today are similar to the times during the Bible.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

Sushan wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 08:40
Sam Lauren wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 06:34 History absolutely repeats itself. We can see patterns in the growth of civilizations, especially ones with similar governments. If you look at the history of Ancient Rome, there are a lot of parallels to the United States. They also had a Republic. Elections grew increasingly expensive; politics became a path of wealth; as their economy depended more and more on other countries, the companies involved were able to sway policy makers for laws in their favor; there was a growing division between the rich and commoners, and right before the collapse of their republic they did away with the middle class. Their laws led them to having no middle class. Many economists says our middle class is dwindling too!
That is quite a nice explanation and that shows how history can be repeated at a practical level. So for the political and social issues, we can learn things from the history and with the way of the things are going, we can predict certain things with the lessons that we learn from the history.

But is it possible to occur an exact pattern as this author suggests, not only once or twice, but four times? Has this pattern really happened or has this author put some events into a pattern and claimed of a similarity?
I think it is possible. History repeats itself, evidenced by the world around us. I believe that if it happens once, the tendency of happening again becomes higher. And this increases as the event occurs more.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Sushan wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 00:49 By studying various religious scriptures, the author has identified a general pattern according to which the events occur when God's Divine Plan (To make the physical world a dwelling place for God) is going to be fulfilled. As per the author, various leaders have emerged since Moses, such as David, Ezra and Esther, Simon Bar Kokhba, who would have fulfilled this task, but failed due to the opposition by the serpent (as per the author, the very serpent who made Eve to eat from the forbidden tree has continued his mission in preventing God's plans from happening).

1. Bad events happen
3. Amalek war ( Amalek can be any nation at the time who opposes God's Divine Plan)
5. Death of the leader

The author shows that this cycle has repeated several times, and he suggests that it will help us to predict the future events.

When studying the bible and other relevant religious scriptures, have you noticed such a pattern? Or is this merely a making of the author by arranging few historical facts into a pattern? Is this a proof for the saying, "history repeats itself"?

I actually never saw it this way but the author did present the idea/s in such a way that I kinda want to explore it. It's definitely something to think about. And I like that the author raised some though provoking ideas.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

Sure history does repeat itself, especially in political and social affairs. But with regards to spiritual affairs, such as God's divine plan, I am not certain.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Sushan wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 00:49 By studying various religious scriptures, the author has identified a general pattern according to which the events occur when God's Divine Plan (To make the physical world a dwelling place for God) is going to be fulfilled. As per the author, various leaders have emerged since Moses, such as David, Ezra and Esther, Simon Bar Kokhba, who would have fulfilled this task, but failed due to the opposition by the serpent (as per the author, the very serpent who made Eve to eat from the forbidden tree has continued his mission in preventing God's plans from happening).

1. Bad events happen
5. Death of the leader

I believe that history does indeed repeat itself; you only need to look back a a few hundred years to see it. Nations and civilizations come and go. But the idea that this is somehow the devil winning at stopping God's plan to inhabit the earth is simply hogwash to me. First off, the way the scriptures define heaven, why would God want to leave that for our "clump of dirt?" If anything, God's ultimate plan is to come and take those who believe in Him so that they can be with Him in heaven—and that's something a million "serpents" can't stop. The scripture says that this world will pass away...so I believe it will.
Sushan Ekanayake

Bertha Jackson wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 17:20 History continually repeats itself. Look at the division in our country today. This division has many of the same aspects as the Civil War. Conditions in the Middle East today are similar to the times during the Bible.
Well, we can see similarities if we want to see them. And also if we want to see differences and say that history never repeats, we can do that as well. What matters is the perspective that we see from. As I believe, history may rhyme, but not repeat itself
Sushan Ekanayake

Jennifer Aldo wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 00:12
Sushan wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 08:40

I think it is possible. History repeats itself, evidenced by the world around us. I believe that if it happens once, the tendency of happening again becomes higher. And this increases as the event occurs more.
"If something happened once, there is a chance for it to happen again". I don't see any logical explanation for this. Why should things repeat? What we see in the practical world is the widespread uncertainty. The only thing which is certain is the uncertainty. In such a changing world, what is the logical explanation for things to repeat.

Let's say things repeat. But what has more chance, that repetition to be a mere coincidence or an event that could have been predicted as that will repeat?
Sushan Ekanayake

dianaterrado wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 00:48

1. Bad events happen
5. Death of the leader

I actually never saw it this way but the author did present the idea/s in such a way that I kinda want to explore it. It's definitely something to think about. And I like that the author raised some though provoking ideas.
I agree with you. I am unable to say whether this concept is true or not. But the author has clearly identified (or made) a pattern out of events that has happened in various time periods, but with a regular time gap, and concerning mostly the same geographical area. So he has a valid point that we cannot merely neglect, but have to explore and see whether there is actually something to be gained from that concept
Sushan Ekanayake

Hhannahh wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 01:40 Sure history does repeat itself, especially in political and social affairs. But with regards to spiritual affairs, such as God's divine plan, I am not certain.
Quite correct. When we study social science or political science along with history, we can see that situations that occur in relation to large populations or countries have some sort of a predictable pattern. By studying the political drive of a country, we can say that in this era, in this empire, this sort of same thing happened and thiswas the result, so most probably the same will happen here as well.

But whether this is applicable for religious matters through time periods involving thousands of years is a matter which needs further investigation
Sushan Ekanayake

Unique Ego wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 01:52

1. Bad events happen
5. Death of the leader

I believe that history does indeed repeat itself; you only need to look back a a few hundred years to see it. Nations and civilizations come and go. But the idea that this is somehow the devil winning at stopping God's plan to inhabit the earth is simply hogwash to me. First off, the way the scriptures define heaven, why would God want to leave that for our "clump of dirt?" If anything, God's ultimate plan is to come and take those who believe in Him so that they can be with Him in heaven—and that's something a million "serpents" can't stop. The scripture says that this world will pass away...so I believe it will.
That is quite a logical answer. Actually why God wants to come to earth by leaving the heaven? Why He has to try so hard to make earth a suitable place for Him, while He is having a heaven to be in? If His intention was to be close to the good humans, he would have easily taken them to the heaven, unless trying to live among them.

On the other hand, this almighty God could create the whole universe. But He is unable to defeat a mere serpent. Is this believable?
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Countries and human advancements travel every which way. In any case, the possibility that this is by one way or another the villain succeeding at halting God's arrangement to occupy the earth is basically nonsense to me. For one thing, the manner in which the sacred writings characterize paradise, for what reason would God need to leave that for our "bunch of earth?" If anything, God's definitive arrangement is to come and take the individuals who put stock in Him so they can be with Him in paradise—and that is something 1,000,000 "snakes" can't stop.
Megamind136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megamind136.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Megamind136 »

History might repeat it self when the dealings is piloted by man. But when it comes to God. He doesn't work with what history says, he works in ways that will help us.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”