History repeats itself! Is this true?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: History repeats itself! Is this true?

Post by Review Writer »

Yes, I would say history, truly, repeat itself. The author's prove may not be absolutely correct, but the prove still contribute to the evidences that could be use to exemplify the historical pattern which shows that history truly repeat itself.
Signature of Grace.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I never really looked at it from that perspective but the author opened my eyes to that. Thinking of it now, I totally agree with the author. History repeats itself a lot of times, we just don't take note of it. Everything currently happening in the world have happened some time ago, perhaps not with the same intensity, but it must have happened.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I believe that there is a limited amount of unique types of historical events so there will inevitably be repetition sooner or later.

I think it's awfully pessimistic to think the world can't change. It changes all the time. History stacks up, technology advances and society learns from past mistakes.

I mean, barely a few centuries ago, monarchy was the most common type of government.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I am a strong believer in "History repeats itself" both in general terms and in this concept. I've been thought that many prophets and God's servant showed up in lieu of Jesus before he finally showed up. And from the events of that period, it can safely be safe to say that they were, in different times, living the life Jesus lived. They were preparing the universe for the future. Therefore, with recent happenings, we can guess what is to come and make necessary preparations.
mraphael1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mraphael1.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by mraphael1 »

History constantly repeats itself and I believe this is because humans may not be changing either. Though new laws may be changing and evolving I think that society continues to stay the same or at least revolves around the same thing. Money and power. Furthermore, the bible continues to display these parts of culture and society and I think it is something we must look into.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

History definitely repeats itself or as they say, it doesn't repeat itself, it rhymes. We can see this throughout the bible but also in our lives and our histories.
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

I will say I slightly agree and also don't. Well there are many examples or coincidence from the past, as a proof to thus question that history do repeats itself.
But I don't think it's applicable to everything, Some accident's maybe exception.
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Karissa Schilling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karissa-schilling.html
Latest Review: Lessons For Kids to Learn by D.L.Kelly

Post by Karissa Schilling »

Sam Lauren wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 06:34 History absolutely repeats itself. We can see patterns in the growth of civilizations, especially ones with similar governments. If you look at the history of Ancient Rome, there are a lot of parallels to the United States. They also had a Republic. Elections grew increasingly expensive; politics became a path of wealth; as their economy depended more and more on other countries, the companies involved were able to sway policy makers for laws in their favor; there was a growing division between the rich and commoners, and right before the collapse of their republic they did away with the middle class. Their laws led them to having no middle class. Many economists says our middle class is dwindling too!
This is a startling but well thought out point. The parallels between out current society and societies of the past show a cycle of how humans interact with each other. Is this because of sin? Do human societies rise and fall throughout history because of Satan's constant opposition to anything but human suffering? This is scary thought and one that seemingly has no easy answer.
Danelle Cale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danelle-cale.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danelle Cale »

It seems to me that history does repeat itself. Scientists have spent many years studying mankind's history. There have been documented finds that could be linked to the return of Christ. Even in our world today there are so many things that can be compared to the signs in Revelations like tsunami's (the great flood), volcanic eruptions and earthquakes (parting of the Red Sea), war (Battle of Jericho and others) and possibly even pandemics (plagues of Egypt). I would reiterate that history does appear to repeat.
Caleb 044
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caleb-044.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Caleb 044 »

Yes I think sometimes history repeats itself. This can be seen by the specific trends in almost every aspect of life. When something happens, it is more likely to happen again.
KapuKapu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kapukapu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by KapuKapu »

From what I have seen and read, history does sometimes tend to repeat itself but it does not mean we can use it to predict future events because human nature is unpredictable.
SiennaEllie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siennaellie.html
Latest Review: Let's Help You Self-Help! by Anthony Jacob Braaten

Post by SiennaEllie »

I am not really sure on my personal view on this, but the author has clearly found and pointed out a pattern. However, the idea of God suggests that he only works to help us grow and learn so why would he repeat history?
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

The only thing that repeats is humans putting events to conform to a pattern and trying to see similarities. Uncertainty scares us. We need some level of predictability to feel safe. I think that is the intent of the author, however, unconscious.
Zombiella Bee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zombiella-bee.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Zombiella Bee »

History definitely repeats itself, if you're looking for a specific topic or event trend.

For example, the arrival of some the Messengers of God tended to happen in a similar pattern:
-After Adam and Eve (peace be upon them), generations passed until a point came when the people sanctified the pious and good people who died before them, taking them as deities and worshipping them alongside God. When the Messenger Noah was sent to them to teach them the truth, he stayed with them for 950 years, persevering even when he was shunned and turned away, until he finally despaired. All the believers who followed Noah were saved in the ark, and the others were punished in the flood.
-Generations passed and the people forgot the sins of their forefathers, until Hud (peace be upon him) came to guide the people. Those who believed were saved, and those who denied the truth perished in an earthquake.

However, if the same situation repeated until the end of time, we would live in an endless cycle. Change of the theme is essential for self preservation against others, like when David (peace be upon him) defeated Goliath, or Moses (peace be upon him) defeated Pharaoh.

History repeats itself when values and lessons are forgotten and people make past errors— I think the idea is to never forget.
Nouria el saftawy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nouria-el-saftawy.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Nouria el saftawy »

I think actually in a lot of aspects in life history actually repeats itself especially in the political side which may have helped us predict the future a bit, but on the religious side I’m not really sure if we could predict what could happen next because how hard we try we would never be able to think like god as our brains are limited in thinking.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”