History repeats itself! Is this true?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Re: History repeats itself! Is this true?

Post by Mys_Trea »

The author's patterns do make sense once layed out and compared. I would say history does indeed have the tendency of repeating itself. We have seen this even in our relatively short time on earth, be it with political, geographical and societal issues.
Jasleen Chadha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasleen-chadha.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Jasleen Chadha »

History does repeat itself. It's the circle of life. For example, take this pandemic into account. A pandemic hits the world every 100 years or so. Isn't that proof enough?
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Sushan wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 07:06
Unique Ego wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 01:52
Sushan wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 00:49 By studying various religious scriptures, the author has identified a general pattern according to which the events occur when God's Divine Plan (To make the physical world a dwelling place for God) is going to be fulfilled. As per the author, various leaders have emerged since Moses, such as David, Ezra and Esther, Simon Bar Kokhba, who would have fulfilled this task, but failed due to the opposition by the serpent (as per the author, the very serpent who made Eve to eat from the forbidden tree has continued his mission in preventing God's plans from happening).

So, according to the author, this general pattern happens as,

1. Bad events happen
2. Leaders emerge to command
3. Amalek war ( Amalek can be any nation at the time who opposes God's Divine Plan)
4. Building a temple (or the revelation)
5. Death of the leader

The author shows that this cycle has repeated several times, and he suggests that it will help us to predict the future events.

When studying the bible and other relevant religious scriptures, have you noticed such a pattern? Or is this merely a making of the author by arranging few historical facts into a pattern? Is this a proof for the saying, "history repeats itself"?
I believe that history does indeed repeat itself; you only need to look back a a few hundred years to see it. Nations and civilizations come and go. But the idea that this is somehow the devil winning at stopping God's plan to inhabit the earth is simply hogwash to me. First off, the way the scriptures define heaven, why would God want to leave that for our "clump of dirt?" If anything, God's ultimate plan is to come and take those who believe in Him so that they can be with Him in heaven—and that's something a million "serpents" can't stop. The scripture says that this world will pass away...so I believe it will.
That is quite a logical answer. Actually why God wants to come to earth by leaving the heaven? Why He has to try so hard to make earth a suitable place for Him, while He is having a heaven to be in? If His intention was to be close to the good humans, he would have easily taken them to the heaven, unless trying to live among them.

On the other hand, this almighty God could create the whole universe. But He is unable to defeat a mere serpent. Is this believable?
No creation is complete without it's creator. I do not believe God is trying to make Earth habitable for Him but rather to establish a connection between Him and His creation.
The serpent is also a creature made, it wouldn't be difficult for God to oust Him but God wants man to choose on whose side they'd rather belong.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: Not Fishy Enough
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I do agree that there are certain natural patterns - even historical patterns - that repeat. Empires rise and fall, people live and die, world economies boom and bust.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Judy_Jemutai7
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-jemutai7.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Judy_Jemutai7 »

Yes, History truly does repeat itself. This can be seen in leadership structures such that the leadership that exists today can be related to historical leadership. This is because man remains the same.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

It's hard to tell, but it does seem like it would be easy to rack up evidence for or against if you look hard enough. Humans will always be humans and that leads to similar behaviours and similar patterns of consequences. Nobody can say he hasn't been thorough with his research though
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I do believe history repeats itself, not in the exact same way but it is bound to happen. The author has carried out extensive research to support everything he has written and the patterns he has shown seem legit, so I agree with the book.
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

Based on this book's perception, I can agree with the fact that history repeats itself. It will repeat itself one last time, I just hope if it does, the divine plan succeeds this time. I mean it has too, it's the last time.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

Yes history does keep repeating itself, and it will probably continue to happen. Everything will happen according to God’s time when it comes to the end of days. However, as far as making this good enough for God to inhabit I think the author is misinterpreting. Nothing is going to make this world perfect, except for God. He is the only one who can. One day this place will look like paradise, but it won’t be because of us.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

I wouldn't agree with this in the religious aspect, though in the other aspect of life history sure does repeat itself.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I believe in this general pattern. I have seen it in the Bible many times. I however do not agree with the death of the leader as it is not a necessity. I agree this continues happening over time.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

This question makes me remember a class when my lecturer said the same thing and proved that history repeats itself. Coming across this again in this book gave me cthesolidated belief that history does repeat itself. Or otherwise, there is an element of truth in it
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

Sam Lauren wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 06:34 History absolutely repeats itself. We can see patterns in the growth of civilizations, especially ones with similar governments. If you look at the history of Ancient Rome, there are a lot of parallels to the United States. They also had a Republic. Elections grew increasingly expensive; politics became a path of wealth; as their economy depended more and more on other countries, the companies involved were able to sway policy makers for laws in their favor; there was a growing division between the rich and commoners, and right before the collapse of their republic they did away with the middle class. Their laws led them to having no middle class. Many economists says our middle class is dwindling too!
I agree that history repeats itself but the pattern the author is describing sounds a little too detailed.
third agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-third-agbata.html
Latest Review: The Ant Called Tiny by Miles Phillip Lewis

Post by third agbata »

Yes I agree but, the author's perception wasn't in line with the true fact of this paradox
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

History obviously repeats itself. These can be seen in politics, wars and more. If were can careful trace these thing to the past we would be surprised to find out they are connected to history. Even in common things like fashion is rotates and repeats itself.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”