History repeats itself! Is this true?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: History repeats itself! Is this true?

Post by kdstrack »

I would agree that history repeats itself. Each generation is a "variation on the theme." The pioneers strived to create a better living and a better country. We still work towards the same goal - just with different instruments (computers and spaceships instead of schooners and mules.)
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

Yes it is true that history repeats itself. Just look at the current situation of pandemic which seems to be recurring in every 100 years. Many of the facts mentioned are true.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

I do not think that this can be really termed as 'history repeats itself'. Most of the events certainly happened in such a manner but not all of them since most of the te a leader would be raised before the bad event occurs to warn them.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

History most certainly repeats itself. Whether it is good or bad. After all, as the old saying goes, “those that fail to learn their history are doomed to repeat it”.
dricci8842
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dricci8842 »

Jorge Santayana's statement, “those that fail to learn their history are doomed to repeat it,” is the misquote people think says "history repeats itself."
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

I think history does repeat itself. From politics to secular events, it's often like a cycle with events that have happened before playing out again. Except that the actors at each point would then be different. Also, the scriptures say this in Ecclesiastes that what has been before will be again, reiterating the vanity of life. However, this is true in every other aspect of life asides from the 'vain' things. So, I'd agree with the author on this assertion.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

History sure repeats itself and the author offered a great insight as to how that happens. If i can be a bit religious, The Bible does say that there is no new event under the sun, meaning events are just being recycled and nothing is new anymore. Things that are happening today, at some time in history, also occurred. The difference might just be the setting and environment of the events but the basics have been the same throughout history.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I always thought there was a pattern, but a different one. I see that God creates something perfect, man chooses to disobey and sin, God removes his protection and bad things happen, people turn back to him, and they return to the blessed state. It's similar to the book, but basically a different starting place.
Phoenix_ Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Phoenix_ Thompson »

Yes history does repeat itself, a simple example during the flood of Noah, they had leader, and did numerous bad things that also happening today. We have a government, injustice, racism and much more, and all this once transpired during the past. The bible says, " the is nothing new under the sun, all things end up the same".
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

This is absolutely true, there are many instances where history has repeated itself. If you look at the Dynastic Cycle theory in Chinese History, it shows a cycle that every dynasty cycles through leading to the fall of a dynasty and the rise of a new one, repeated over and over again. Overall, the same people obviously aren't born again but their actions are repeated over time. Mark Twain believed that "History does not repeat itself, but it rhymes." and I believe this makes the most sense and is the best way one could describe it.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I do think history repeats itself, and we've seen this time and time again. I also believe that meaning can be drawn from an event and so if someone is looking for a particular pattern throughout historical events, they are bound to find it even if it isn't necessarily present
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

History definitely repeats itself and understanding this patterns is important. This because it will enable humans to predict the future and correct past mistakes. In the bible in " Ecclesiastes 1: 9 states that, what has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." (NIV) This simply means it has been done before and nothing under the sun is truly new.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I agree that history has a way of repeating itself. However, I don't believe that the patterns do occur as the author tries to explain. The more we become objective and try to explain how things are, the more we will come up with different hypotheses, as the author did in this case.
Fireside119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Fireside119 »

Through the observation of world events, one can deduce a pattern similar to what the author describes. The modern-day analogy would be the "Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times" quote. The cycle continues and history repeats itself.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

The sequence of the events in this book could help us predict the future. I agree with the author because the Bible did not give us a specific time for the end, but it shows us that we can predict the end through specific series of events that will happen.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”