History repeats itself! Is this true?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Re: History repeats itself! Is this true?

Post by C3cilia »

History repeats itself especially when man is involved.we can see that from the book whereby leaders of that time were not honest enough and these days most of the leaders have no integrity.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Sushan wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 00:49 By studying various religious scriptures, the author has identified a general pattern according to which the events occur when God's Divine Plan (To make the physical world a dwelling place for God) is going to be fulfilled. As per the author, various leaders have emerged since Moses, such as David, Ezra and Esther, Simon Bar Kokhba, who would have fulfilled this task, but failed due to the opposition by the serpent (as per the author, the very serpent who made Eve to eat from the forbidden tree has continued his mission in preventing God's plans from happening).

So, according to the author, this general pattern happens as,

1. Bad events happen
2. Leaders emerge to command
3. Amalek war ( Amalek can be any nation at the time who opposes God's Divine Plan)
4. Building a temple (or the revelation)
5. Death of the leader

The author shows that this cycle has repeated several times, and he suggests that it will help us to predict the future events.

When studying the bible and other relevant religious scriptures, have you noticed such a pattern? Or is this merely a making of the author by arranging few historical facts into a pattern? Is this a proof for the saying, "history repeats itself"?
Yes, I have notice such a pattern in scripture, however, I don't believe it's something we should make a big deal out of. First off, as a Christian, I don't believe anything can scupper or delay God's will concerning the earth from coming to pass. The patterns don't help is predict the future. Why do I say so? Well, this pattern has been trashed by the life of one man—Jesus Christ. Yes, Jesus died, but unlike the others, he came back to life, soundly accomplished his mission, and defeated the devil while at it. So the enemy couldn't stop him at all. To me, that ends the so-called pattern. Plus, I guess I just hate the idea that the devil has been succeeding in "stopping" God's plan; he ain't that powerful by any means.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

I completely agree with the author, because events follow patterns. It may not look so specific like previous events but the outcomes are always the same. So yes, events repeats itself.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I agree that history does repeat itself, but like a lot of things, I don't think it's something that can be applied to everything. Personally, I don't believe that everything necessarily has a pattern, and there are many things in the world that can be unpredictable.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I think it's completely true. If we continue to propagate messages of hate and violence, that is what we will repeat in the future. If we do not learn anything from our past, then we will never realize how we can benefit from them in the future.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Oh yes, absolutely, history and science topics as they relate to people and how we go through life and wars, sicknesses and many different issues, can and have repeated themselves and will continue to. As for religious issues and where God is involved, we have also seen where churches and religious movements have repeated their ways down through time. God shows in His word how life repeats back then and then lives out the same again today as well.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

There are elements that seem to point to history repeating itself. I feel the ongoing pandemic is similar to the plagues in the past both in terms of the deaths caused and the economic effects felt. In terms of a specific pattern, I feel that is more of the author's perspective. The narrative that this pattern is due to the serpent continuously impeding such plans make me wonder why God would allow that.
Elendu Clement
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement.html
Latest Review: The Wanting Hearts by Nicole Jordan

Post by Elendu Clement »

If u study the Bible, I won't see any reason for you to doubt the author. Things in that happened in the Bible still happen in this present day. People still fight war, some people are obsessed with power, contagious disease still kill people
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Post by Hiru1998+ »

I am a buddhist. When we go through our religious texts we get to know that Lord Buddha's own desciples have tried to change the teachings into their own prestige. It happens even today. Isn't it the same even in Christianity? So I agree that history repeats itself.
Hiru1998+
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiru1998.html
Latest Review: Like My Mother Before Me by Naley Gonzalez

Post by Hiru1998+ »

Yes history repeats itself. But it is because we are unable to accept what we did wrong in the past and make it right. If we stick to the good things taught in our religions, we will correct our mistakes and won't let them happen again.
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

I'm not sure if history repeats itself as often as people mimic the actions of the people that came before them. This cycle is certainly a good explanation of societal behaviour, but I think that the crux of the argument is that it is in the nature of human beings to act a certain way - therefore they can always be relied upon to repeat the events of the humans that came before them. The only difference comes with time, development and technology.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I can see the author’s view of the battle of good vs. evil. In that case, history does repeat itself. There will always be division between people who serve God and people who either serve another “god” (themselves, other religions). That will continue until the end of time.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by britcott30 »

Nowadays I also think that history is starting to repeat itself. But I don't want to write about the war or the death of the leaders. I just want to add that many people now are exiting the church. Since I'm living in Europe, I feel that people are backing away again from God, but the form of the Pagan is different. It can be formed as insurance (so that people do not need God anymore to pray because everything feels secured), veganism, technology, science, and so on.
fiocha1996_25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiocha1996-25.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fiocha1996_25 »

History has always repeated itself. In the different cultures and empires in our world, there's always a cycle that keeps repeating. The conditions in the actual world are very different from the ones in biblical times. But, we still can see a lot of similarities in the situations we are living in. All this is applying to the history of humans, in the matters of God is still a new topic with little investigation. I believe the whole concept of time is relative. Different cultures created devices to help measure their time, and it differs from the type of culture and the geographical location. I believe the author represented the time issue correctly and coherently for the time he's explaining.
Adhithya K R
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhithya-k-r.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Adhithya K R »

History is quite a reliable indicator of human behaviour in the long term. Even though technology advances and lifestyles evolve, the basic patterns of behaviour that humans exhibit in their community are quite consistent. Will Durant's book "Lessons from History" is an excellent resource to learn more about this.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”