History repeats itself! Is this true?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Re: History repeats itself! Is this true?

Post by John Owen »

History seems to repeat itself because of heredity and inheritance. Like it is most likely the offspring will inherit the characters of the parents, and likely to act like them, and this, is passed down through generations. I am not sure of Devine role in this
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

Sushan wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 00:49 By studying various religious scriptures, the author has identified a general pattern according to which the events occur when God's Divine Plan (To make the physical world a dwelling place for God) is going to be fulfilled. As per the author, various leaders have emerged since Moses, such as David, Ezra and Esther, Simon Bar Kokhba, who would have fulfilled this task, but failed due to the opposition by the serpent (as per the author, the very serpent who made Eve to eat from the forbidden tree has continued his mission in preventing God's plans from happening).

So, according to the author, this general pattern happens as,

1. Bad events happen
2. Leaders emerge to command
3. Amalek war ( Amalek can be any nation at the time who opposes God's Divine Plan)
4. Building a temple (or the revelation)
5. Death of the leader

The author shows that this cycle has repeated several times, and he suggests that it will help us to predict the future events.

When studying the bible and other relevant religious scriptures, have you noticed such a pattern? Or is this merely a making of the author by arranging few historical facts into a pattern? Is this a proof for the saying, "history repeats itself"?
I see your point. One professor in college once told me that history is not cyclic but pendular. Things go to one extreme to the other and back again because it is extremely hard for humanity to achieve a balance. Therefore, there might be some patters that the world has created and followed but that does not mean we cannot change it, right?
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Sushan wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 00:49 By studying various religious scriptures, the author has identified a general pattern according to which the events occur when God's Divine Plan (To make the physical world a dwelling place for God) is going to be fulfilled. As per the author, various leaders have emerged since Moses, such as David, Ezra and Esther, Simon Bar Kokhba, who would have fulfilled this task, but failed due to the opposition by the serpent (as per the author, the very serpent who made Eve to eat from the forbidden tree has continued his mission in preventing God's plans from happening).

So, according to the author, this general pattern happens as,

1. Bad events happen
2. Leaders emerge to command
3. Amalek war ( Amalek can be any nation at the time who opposes God's Divine Plan)
4. Building a temple (or the revelation)
5. Death of the leader

The author shows that this cycle has repeated several times, and he suggests that it will help us to predict the future events.

When studying the bible and other relevant religious scriptures, have you noticed such a pattern? Or is this merely a making of the author by arranging few historical facts into a pattern? Is this a proof for the saying, "history repeats itself"?
The human mind is designed to look for patterns. It's called pareidolia. Of course, some historical events have similarities, because human nature is still the same and we tend to make the same mistakes, but I'm not sure there's something religious behind that.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I think that history does repeat itself with politics. The people in charge of authority through the centuries have a similar mindset. But as to other aspects, I'm not quite sure.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

History is definitely repeating itself, especially political history. The human race seems incapable of drawing lessons from the past and applying them to the present.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I think so as well. History keeps repeating itself. Life is just a cumbersome and repetitive cycle. In the very same Bible, the wisest man known as Solomon, was quite tired of this fact. He said that all is vanity as 'nothing under the sun is new'.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Without a doubt. If you forget it you will continue to make the same mistakes. It's inevitable.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

I do see such a pattern of history repeating itself. When studying civilizations and the way human beings interact in a society, it is clear that there is a pattern in the way civilizations and societies progress, so it's unsurprising to find historical patterns when studying scriptures.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

Yes, I believe history repeats itself. Leaders tend to follow the practices of other leaders with often similar results. It takes a truly innovative spirit to go outside the norm to bring positive change. History has also shown that in the middle of peace there will be dissatisfied souls who will eventually create mischief and set the world on yet another circle of confusion.
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

History may not necessarily repeat itself in the likeness of events but its important to refer back to history when looking at the past and present events.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

I fully agree with the author. Historical events tend to repeat themselves--even when it is against logic and sound reasoning. It is part of the cycle of life. History, they say, is a stubborn goat.
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

I believe the author is merely reading into world events and finding premise to further his belief. Everyone is entitled to what they believe. Personally, it isn't a matter of whether we believe history repeats itself; it is a fact of reality. History has shown us over and over what happens will happen again. Rome, Russia, both World Wars, Civil Wars in multiple countries, pandemics, plagues, and the list goes on. It is especially going to happen the more advanced the world gets in technology and engineering. We assume worlds die off. We see signs of Earth dieing every day, and there are people struggling to get everyone to help save it. Others believe it is nonsense and the Earth cannot die. Everything I have ever read and learned from the Bible states God will come for his children. The author makes it seem like an epic battle of good vs evil. While I do believe in good and evil I am unsure if I believe there is an epic war going on.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

I tend to agree. When you study history (especially the main empires), you begin to understand how timeless human vices and passions continue to happen ad infinitum. You can draw many parallels between empires and events in different parts of the world.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

Things that have happened in history will repeat itself, especially when humans haven't learned or looked back on the things that went wrong so it can be avoided. Now whether this is the will of something divine is up for debate.
talli_5
Currently Reading: Royal Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by talli_5 »

I do believe that history repeats itself, as human emotion never changes. We are always driven by the same wants and needs and so events will continue to follow a certain pattern. I don't know if I agree with the authors list of events though.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”