What is the author's true intention behind this book?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Re: What is the author's true intention behind this book?

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Sushan wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 20:13
Eriny Youssef wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 10:40 I think Daniel Friedmann was just sharing what he arrived at from his studies of biblical and scientific calendars. So it goes from when the Universe started all the way to the end of times. His studies are ongoing and he lublishes several books afterwards, all of which tackle the same issue.
Yes, seemingly he wanted to share what he gained through his studies and let the readers be the judges of the content of his book. But as he mentions in the very beginning, being a Christian and a believer, he has his own biases. So that implies the idea that he actually might wanted to prove that the bible is scientifically legit and acceptable. What do you think?

As I recall, he mentioned that Jewish references will be the main source for his discourse. So, yes, he might be trying to explain the Torah or prove it to be in alignment with what science had achieved so far.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

I don't believe he has any secret agenda. He just wanted to establish a bridge between religion and science. Even so, I agree that he tends to privilege religion and leave science in the background.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

EternalD wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 07:32 I don't believe he has any secret agenda. He just wanted to establish a bridge between religion and science. Even so, I agree that he tends to privilege religion and leave science in the background.
Though not hidden, indeed, I see that that is his agenda. He has told that he wanted to make this bridge (reconciliation) between religion and science, yet the book goes on with more favouration to the religion. So other than trying to go for a reconciliation, he is trying to give the biblical stories some legitimacy. This book can be considered as some sort of apologetic work.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I believe the author intends to correlate the scientific evidence with the biblical evidence of creation and how the prophesies of the Old Testament, that we see unfolding before our eyes today, has scientific proof of the timeline we are in.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Sushan Ekanayake

B Creech wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 09:35 I believe the author intends to correlate the scientific evidence with the biblical evidence of creation and how the prophesies of the Old Testament, that we see unfolding before our eyes today, has scientific proof of the timeline we are in.
The author has seen what he wanted when comparing science and religion. For the things that did not go hand in hand, he has made (or found from scholarly work) some clever explanations and settled the issue. So, ultimately, as I see, he has given some legitimacy for a mythical story that many scientists have disproved already.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sushan wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 10:48
B Creech wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 09:35 I believe the author intends to correlate the scientific evidence with the biblical evidence of creation and how the prophesies of the Old Testament, that we see unfolding before our eyes today, has scientific proof of the timeline we are in.
The author has seen what he wanted when comparing science and religion. For the things that did not go hand in hand, he has made (or found from scholarly work) some clever explanations and settled the issue. So, ultimately, as I see, he has given some legitimacy for a mythical story that many scientists have disproved already.
We all see things differently, I guess that is what makes us unique! However, I don't believe the creation story is a mythical story. It is as real as this earth around us. That's my opinion. You created a good topic!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Sushan Ekanayake

B Creech wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 14:12
Sushan wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 10:48
We all see things differently, I guess that is what makes us unique! However, I don't believe the creation story is a mythical story. It is as real as this earth around us. That's my opinion. You created a good topic!
Indeed, we see things differently and we believe things differently. And it seems obviously that my thoughts are not matching with yours, and that have led to have a nice discussion regarding this controversial, yet interesting subject regarding the Creation. Thank you for your valuable responses :tiphat:
Trustedbook
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Trustedbook »

I think the author's main purpose of writing the book is to fill the lacuna between religion and science, which has created numerous conception about the two globally.
Sushan Ekanayake

Trustedbook wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 00:41 I think the author's main purpose of writing the book is to fill the lacuna between religion and science, which has created numerous conception about the two globally.
I don't see why people always try to see something in common between science and religion. Science has some purpose and religion has a different purpose. If we can let these to be in their boundaries, there won't be any trouble.

But the believers love to abuse the boundaries of other logical sciences and try to get some legitimacy for their beliefs. What I see is that through this book the same thing has occurred
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

I believe the author's true intention is to show people that ideas about that which we don't fully understand such as how the earth came to be are often similar between scientific reasoning and religious texts.
Sushan Ekanayake

Nicholus Schroeder wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 21:07 I believe the author's true intention is to show people that ideas about that which we don't fully understand such as how the earth came to be are often similar between scientific reasoning and religious texts.
As far as I know, things that science prove are the things that we know of. For the things that we are not sure, science produce only concepts, but not theories. Scientific reasoning is usually used to prove something, not to assume something.

When we consider the beginning of the universe, science has an assumption of how it might have happened. And as far as I know, scientists, among their many other theories, have not mentioned about an almighty God creating the universe. So, there is nothing similar between science and religion regarding that issue.

What this author is trying to do, in my opinion, is to give some legitimacy to the biblical stories by showing that there is a similarities between scientific theories and biblical stories, which not a truth, but a creation by the author depending on various scriptures
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I think his opinion is valid. Their research seems to point more towards religion I believe, so I would agree. Although there is the aspect of science and global warming which predicts the world would end sooner rather than later, and I don't see that happening soon.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Sushan Ekanayake

63tty wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 01:07 I think his opinion is valid. Their research seems to point more towards religion I believe, so I would agree. Although there is the aspect of science and global warming which predicts the world would end sooner rather than later, and I don't see that happening soon.
Global warming was there for few decades now. And the world leaders took various effective as well as non effective attempts to slow down its process. But so far we don't see any military attempt to grab some other country's technology to fight against that. Maybe that is because no one has found such a technology. And if the author wanted to warn people about such a fate, did he really think that a single book can change the way that a whole world is going?

So, as I see, he has merely attempted to legitimize his religious beliefs (I am sorry if I am challenging your beliefs, and I don't mean any disrespect), which has not been proven or supported by scientific evidence so far
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

I believe the point of the book is to showcase the importance of both science and religion and the role of each in figuring out life. I also think both fields are valid, and the author's aim is to widen one's perspectives to 'what if'.
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

The author is trying to bring Science and religion together for a better understanding of the world. However, I see that his argument inclines more towards religion than science. To an extend, I agree with him because personally, I have never envisioned the two coming together effectively. Science will always contradict religion to a larger extend because one is based on factual information while the other is based on faith in God.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”