Free Will

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: Not Fishy Enough
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling
fav_author_id: 1746

Re: Free Will

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I'm not too sure that I agree with that statement. If it were obvious that the world was created in six days, people might not necessarily believe that an all-powerful being created it. They might just think that it was formed by natural processes in that short space of time.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

It makes a reasonable amount of sense to me. Faith isn't really faith when you have irrefutable proof, so there wouldn't really be any meaning to our actions if everything was so cut-and-dried
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I agree with the author. The reason why God does not reveal himself is due to free will. It is written in the Bible that He can make stones and trees worship Him if we ever decided we were too good for that. This means He gave us the power to decide what we want to do, not forcing anyone to do what they don't want to do. Even though we may eventually be accountable for the choice we make.
Grace McHardy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-mchardy.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Grace McHardy »

I don't fully agree with the author's stance on this point, I just think God made everything completed and older so that it would sustain itself for humanity. New things need to be worn out in order to fully appreciate it. God Created the world ready to go and further along so that man did not have to do much in order to live on the planet.
Marisol Mendez
Currently Reading: Milk and Honey
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisol-mendez.html
Latest Review: Wandering Feelings by Boyko Ovcharov

Post by Marisol Mendez »

I think that the author makes a valid and reasonable point. I would like to say I agree, however, there is no actual way to know this. I still feel like it is all theoretical.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I agree with this to a certain degree. Yes we have free will. Faith is an important part a relationship with God. If you don’t trust God, then you simply won’t live your life to your fullest potential. We can have anything we want in life if we trust God. As far as things just happening “naturally,” I am not convinced of that. I am actually not sure what the author’s point was about nature here. However, for god to make us believe something that is actually not the case would mean that God is lying to us and I do not believe that at all.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

I disagree, because for me God is not hidden he is inside of us and part of our daily lives. Free will I think makes us conscious of what we are doing.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

I do not think that God does not reveal himself because he does not want to infringe on our freewill. God revealed himself to Moses yet he still chose not to enter the promise land by disobeying God. And about creation, i choose to go with what the bible says.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

63tty wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 01:34 I somewhat agree, the author(s) has a point there even though I don't agree with the six days. That reasoning compels me to believe but still can't help but think of how advanced we have become, technology-wise. It could not have been done in a few thousand years. Mostly I do believe the true reason that God does not reveal himself is due to free will.
nice point
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I totally agree with this statement in the book. God was gracious enough to give us humans free will, not being hidden would have been an interference with this free will.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

If you take the Bible at its word, God said after the Great Flood that He would never again become involved in our affairs, then I believe that He doesn't show himself because of free choice. Despite the fact that I do not think this deluge ever ever occurred, it might be a myth used to help us understand why God has chosen not to reveal Himself.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

Regarding free will, I do concur that it is our prerogative to act in a particular way. However, I don't believe there is any connection at all between the mystery of God and free will. Because God is not a dictator, as the serpent claimed before being expelled from heaven, we have free will.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

While I do not agree with this particular point. I get where the author is coming from. Free will would still exist regardless of concrete evidence or not.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

We wouldn't all be precisely alike, which would make life incredibly dull, therefore I'm grateful we have free choice.
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

God gives is the free will to act however we want and do whatever we want. He wants us to love and serve him from our hearts.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”