Free Will

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Free Will

Post by cd20 »

The authors explain that the reason everything looks like it happened naturally over a long period of time is "Because if it were obvious that the world had been created in six days, there would be no free will, no way to doubt the existence of the Creator. God is hidden so that we can function as human beings with free will." What do you think of this? Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I somewhat agree, the author(s) has a point there even though I don't agree with the six days. That reasoning compels me to believe but still can't help but think of how advanced we have become, technology-wise. It could not have been done in a few thousand years. Mostly I do believe the true reason that God does not reveal himself is due to free will.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I think that God doesn't reveal himself due to free will, but also because, if you're following the Bible literally, He said that He would never get involved in our affairs again after the Great Flood. While I do not believe this flood ever happened literally, it could be a story to help explain why He doesn't want to reveal Himself.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 07:36 I think that God doesn't reveal himself due to free will, but also because, if you're following the Bible literally, He said that He would never get involved in our affairs again after the Great Flood. While I do not believe this flood ever happened literally, it could be a story to help explain why He doesn't want to reveal Himself.
Why not? It is not impossible to imagine, scientifically speaking, a flood of great proportions.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

So that we can function as humans without seeing God, seems to resonate. Some drivers speed through a red light if they don't see a cop, but when they do they slow down. I agree that humans have free will (unlike a tree, for instance, it doesn't walk around if it doesn't like its spot.) That free will makes us more accountable—I guess— so the author might be on to something.
Maddie Atkinson

EternalD wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 08:47
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 07:36 I think that God doesn't reveal himself due to free will, but also because, if you're following the Bible literally, He said that He would never get involved in our affairs again after the Great Flood. While I do not believe this flood ever happened literally, it could be a story to help explain why He doesn't want to reveal Himself.
Why not? It is not impossible to imagine, scientifically speaking, a flood of great proportions.
At the time this supposedly happened, it scientifically would have been impossible for there to have been a global flood. However there was a rise in sea levels in the Black Sea in the Middle East about 7,500 years ago which is thought to have been an inspiration for the story, first orally, and then written down thousands of years later, as writing wasn't invented at that time.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

I think the reason why earth looks older is because of sin. On the subject of free will, I do agree that we are given the 'free will' to act accordingly. However, I do not think the mystery of God is connected to the free will at all. The reason why we have free will is because God is not a tyrant, as the serpent accused Him before being thrown out of heaven. He is a just God and the only way to expose the serpent is by allowing us to choose right from wrong. Love for God has to be the basis of all we do, not compulsion.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I don't think that God hiding would be necessary for free will! I think even if there was more concrete evidence for God's existence, such as proof that the world was created in a few days, humans would still be able to exercise free will. There are plenty of humans right now who dispute things that have scientifically been proven (such as climate change) and continue to act based on their own will rather than based om the evidence.
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

63tty wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 01:34 I somewhat agree, the author(s) has a point there even though I don't agree with the six days. That reasoning compels me to believe but still can't help but think of how advanced we have become, technology-wise. It could not have been done in a few thousand years. Mostly I do believe the true reason that God does not reveal himself is due to free will.
I do agree with six days, but I know not everyone does. I am thankful we do have free will, otherwise we would all think the same, act the same, be the same, and what a boring world that would be!
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Hey Maddie! I agree that one reason God might not reveal Himself is due to free well. I do follow the Bible literally, but I believe that God said He would never destroy humankind again (Genesis 8:21), not get involved in our affairs. I think God is very active in our lives today! I also believe the flood happened literally happened, and I know there is evidence that supports it, but right off hand, I can't think of it (face-palm!).
cd20

Post by cd20 »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 10:39 So that we can function as humans without seeing God, seems to resonate. Some drivers speed through a red light if they don't see a cop, but when they do they slow down. I agree that humans have free will (unlike a tree, for instance, it doesn't walk around if it doesn't like its spot.) That free will makes us more accountable—I guess— so the author might be on to something.
This is an excellent illustration!! I had not thought of it like that, but it is so true!!! I am glad we have free will or we would all be exactly alike, which would make for a very boring existence. Thank you for your great illustration.
Maddie Atkinson

cd20 wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 14:33
Hey Maddie! I agree that one reason God might not reveal Himself is due to free well. I do follow the Bible literally, but I believe that God said He would never destroy humankind again (Genesis 8:21), not get involved in our affairs. I think God is very active in our lives today! I also believe the flood happened literally happened, and I know there is evidence that supports it, but right off hand, I can't think of it (face-palm!).
Hey! It's nice to talk to you again! I trust your knowledge of the contents of the Bible over mine, so I must have misquoted (I haven't really gone over the Bible in depth since I went to a Church of England primary school!). I definitely agree God is active in our lives, I believe I have experienced stuff that He has helped with. I guess maybe He doesn't get involved with humanity as a whole, rather than individuals? Personally I do not think it happened literally, as scientifically I don't see it as possible for the whole world to flood, but definitely there was a large flood due to the rise in sea levels at the time it was supposed to have happened, so maybe that inspired the story and humans being dramatic were like 'DUDE IT BASICALLY COVERED THE ENTIRE WORLD, I mean I didn't actually see the rest of the world at the time, BUT LIKE THE WHOLE WORLD' :lol: but it may well have happened, I guess we can never really know what happened that long ago for definite! But back to the point, yeah I agree about God not revealing Himself due to free will!

Oooooo but also maybe its like in ancient Greek mythology where they believed that a divine being revealing themselves in their true form is likely to cause blinding or death due to how shining and divine they are(this is my ancient history nerd coming out in me)!
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 16:51
Hey! It's nice to talk to you again! I trust your knowledge of the contents of the Bible over mine, so I must have misquoted (I haven't really gone over the Bible in depth since I went to a Church of England primary school!). I definitely agree God is active in our lives, I believe I have experienced stuff that He has helped with. I guess maybe He doesn't get involved with humanity as a whole, rather than individuals? Personally I do not think it happened literally, as scientifically I don't see it as possible for the whole world to flood, but definitely there was a large flood due to the rise in sea levels at the time it was supposed to have happened, so maybe that inspired the story and humans being dramatic were like 'DUDE IT BASICALLY COVERED THE ENTIRE WORLD, I mean I didn't actually see the rest of the world at the time, BUT LIKE THE WHOLE WORLD' :lol: but it may well have happened, I guess we can never really know what happened that long ago for definite! But back to the point, yeah I agree about God not revealing Himself due to free will!

Oooooo but also maybe its like in ancient Greek mythology where they believed that a divine being revealing themselves in their true form is likely to cause blinding or death due to how shining and divine they are(this is my ancient history nerd coming out in me)!
You are funny. We'll agree to disagree about the "literal" flood, although I do agree with you that we can't know all the exact details because we were not there. I laughed out loud about the Greek mythology, but God only let certain people see Him face to face, and Moses had a "glow" or "shine" after he had been face to face with God. There are certain descriptions in the Bible that describe God as light, and how bright He is, so again, you might not be that far off base :lol2:
Maddie Atkinson

cd20 wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 14:15
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 16:51

You are funny. We'll agree to disagree about the "literal" flood, although I do agree with you that we can't know all the exact details because we were not there. I laughed out loud about the Greek mythology, but God only let certain people see Him face to face, and Moses had a "glow" or "shine" after he had been face to face with God. There are certain descriptions in the Bible that describe God as light, and how bright He is, so again, you might not be that far off base :lol2:
I definitely have not ruled out a global flood, but for now you're right, I think we will have to agree to disagree! I am glad I made you laugh! A lot of things in the Bible have their origins in Greek mythology, so maybe descriptions came from there. Or maybe because no matter what type of God there is, mythological or otherwise, they are all divine beings so all have the same effect on people?
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Heidadela wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 13:39 I think the reason why earth looks older is because of sin. On the subject of free will, I do agree that we are given the 'free will' to act accordingly. However, I do not think the mystery of God is connected to the free will at all. The reason why we have free will is because God is not a tyrant, as the serpent accused Him before being thrown out of heaven. He is a just God and the only way to expose the serpent is by allowing us to choose right from wrong. Love for God has to be the basis of all we do, not compulsion.
I agree, with everything you said. People who live hard lives tend to look older sooner, so why wouldn't the earth because of all the sinful people and the way we take care of the earth, although I had never thought of it like that. I appreciate your perspective. I also agree that God is not a tyrant and He gave us free will to choose Him or not, instead of making us all believe in Him.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”