Which fact or theory in this book shocked you the most, and why?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Which fact or theory in this book shocked you the most, and why?

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Learning that one day for god is a thousand for us was surprising and with this in mind man of religion where able to ascertain that the universe is almost 13 billion years old which is what scientists believe also.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

The fact that the oldest that some people think the world is is 49,000 years when there is so much evidence proving otherwise. Also that even more think that it is around 6,000 years old. This is literally impossible as we know that there was complex civilisation around 3000BC and if God created man on the 6th day, then the earth would have existed more than 6,000 years ago, especially if one day for God is thousands of years for us. Also there is evidence of civilisation, albeit not complex, in 35000 BC - when the wheel was invented. So how could the Earth be that young if civilisation has existed much longer, and if civilisation came after everything else God created then the Erath must be even older! The fact people thought the Earth was that young is shocking to me!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

I believe that the creation days are literal days, not a day for a thousand. When you use the biblical calendar keenly, starting from the six creation days to the time Jesus died on the cross, it will give you 4000+ literal years, not billions. However, it will take a real, dilligent student of the Bible to discern this fact. The 'one day for a thousand' view is about how God perceives the world.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I was surprised to read that Adam and Eve already had children when they were banished from Eden. My notes at the part in the book are: "What? Makes sense, but WHAT?"

I went back and carefully reread Genesis 1-4 and realized this information could easily fit into what isn't explicitly stated in the Bible. It reinforced to me that there are some things the Bible does not specify. Proverb 25:2 comes to mind: "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

Good question!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 14:18 The fact that the oldest that some people think the world is is 49,000 years when there is so much evidence proving otherwise. Also that even more think that it is around 6,000 years old. This is literally impossible as we know that there was complex civilisation around 3000BC and if God created man on the 6th day, then the earth would have existed more than 6,000 years ago, especially if one day for God is thousands of years for us. Also there is evidence of civilisation, albeit not complex, in 35000 BC - when the wheel was invented. So how could the Earth be that young if civilisation has existed much longer, and if civilisation came after everything else God created then the Erath must be even older! The fact people thought the Earth was that young is shocking to me!
This is the reason why many children are taught (via religion) that the dinosaurs didn't exist and such nonsense like that. It didn't shock me, because I was already aware of it. Considering the past year, it's not surprising anymore that people willfully ignore scientific facts.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 14:18 The fact that the oldest that some people think the world is is 49,000 years when there is so much evidence proving otherwise. Also that even more think that it is around 6,000 years old. This is literally impossible as we know that there was complex civilisation around 3000BC and if God created man on the 6th day, then the earth would have existed more than 6,000 years ago, especially if one day for God is thousands of years for us. Also there is evidence of civilisation, albeit not complex, in 35000 BC - when the wheel was invented. So how could the Earth be that young if civilisation has existed much longer, and if civilisation came after everything else God created then the Erath must be even older! The fact people thought the Earth was that young is shocking to me!
I know right!, it's just mind boggling how some people believe that civilization could have come so far in such a small of amount of time.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:

MsH2k wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 23:11 I was surprised to read that Adam and Eve already had children when they were banished from Eden. My notes at the part in the book are: "What? Makes sense, but WHAT?"

I went back and carefully reread Genesis 1-4 and realized this information could easily fit into what isn't explicitly stated in the Bible. It reinforced to me that there are some things the Bible does not specify. Proverb 25:2 comes to mind: "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

Good question!
Yeah, that's another shocker which was quite an eye opener because before reading this book, I thought I had a good understanding of all the bible had to teach. Begs the question of what else has the bible left out for our curiosity to find or ponder about.
Dabrielle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabrielle.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Dabrielle »

God's notion of time compared with man's is very disconcerting. It makes you feel that God could very well be out of touch with the urgency you may feel to accomplish certain things in life. However, as God is aware of our weaknesses, has numbered every grain of hair on our heads, He will therefore act towards man accordingly. Such a comforting thought!
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

I've never read the Bible, so the fact that adam and eve actually had kids was pretty interesting. God's notion of time was also pretty intriguing.
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

The Bible is pretty much unknown to me, so I found quite a lot interesting. How God created man, Adam and Eve, time, and how God is aware of everything.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Post by Praise GodWord »

What shocked me the most was the author's assumption or hypothesis on how long the earth has lasted. The truth is that the earth has been before any scientific research and prove.
rondanoh1
Favorite Book: 101 Dalmations
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rondanoh1.html
Latest Review: Daniel and Revelation for Today by Mae Abdul-Karim Wertz
Reading Device: B07K1RZWMC

Post by rondanoh1 »

There really wasn't anything that shocked me about what the author presents. I so appreciate his insights and the information he presents. He gave me a lot to think about, and there were things that I felt he helped "validate" my thinking.
Vine Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

MsH2k wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 23:11 I was surprised to read that Adam and Eve already had children when they were banished from Eden. My notes at the part in the book are: "What? Makes sense, but WHAT?"

Good question!
It was written clearly in Genesis 4 that it was after Adam and Eve were banished from the Garden of Eden that they had Cain and Abel. Then also in Genesis 5:4 it was clearly seen that he had other children after Cain and Abel.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Vine001 wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 14:29

Good question!
It was written clearly in Genesis 4 that it was after Adam and Eve were banished from the Garden of Eden that they had Cain and Abel. Then also in Genesis 5:4 it was clearly seen that he had other children after Cain and Abel.
My surprise was not that they had other children—it was the possibility of a different timing of when they had Cain and Abel.

It is easy to assume the chapters are in chronological order, and in doing so, assume other things. When I went back to reread those chapters, I did not see an absolute timing of when Cain and Abel were born—just that they were born. I find that I get into a certain rhythm reading my favorite translation of the Bible all the time, and I enjoy reading with fresh incentive to understand a particular thing.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Zwelakhe_mkhatshwa
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelakhe-mkhatshwa.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Zwelakhe_mkhatshwa »

Reviewer100 wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 17:28 What shocked me the most was the author's assumption or hypothesis on how long the earth has lasted. The truth is that the earth has been before any scientific research and prove.
Yeah that was quite the shocker because no matter how hard we try to unravel the mystery of how long the earth has been in existence we can never truly grasp how long the earth has been around.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”