Which fact or theory in this book shocked you the most, and why?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 22%

Re: Which fact or theory in this book shocked you the most, and why?

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I was truly surprised that there is a belief among ultra-orthodox Jews that G-d created the world "old." Instead of looking at scientific fact and the origins of the universe, there is still a belief that biblical time is accurate and that the Creator simply initiated a deception by creating a world in which, for example, fossils weren't the output of decomposed living organisms, but items that G-d sought to make in their current form at the time of creation.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I also found this surprising, that people had gone to great lengths to try and establish how's old the world is. Also, how long it will last
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

The theory that shocked me most is the author prediction of the world to end this coming century. That coupled with other theories like how God is going to defend and fight for Israel when the end times come. The whole reasoning that 1 day is thousands of years for God was minor to me.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

ReaderAisha2020 wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 03:18 I also found this surprising, that people had gone to great lengths to try and establish how's old the world is. Also, how long it will last
Well trust humanity's curiosity to question everything we come across, instead of improving our world as it is now, people are spending millions to excavate fossils just to estimate how long our planet has existed.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I was really surprised to read that Adam and Eve already had children, also God’s experience of time was really intriguing.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

MsH2k wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 23:11 I was surprised to read that Adam and Eve already had children when they were banished from Eden. My notes at the part in the book are: "What? Makes sense, but WHAT?"

I went back and carefully reread Genesis 1-4 and realized this information could easily fit into what isn't explicitly stated in the Bible. It reinforced to me that there are some things the Bible does not specify. Proverb 25:2 comes to mind: "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

Good question!
This was definitly the most shocking theory to me. It is possible but not at all included in the typical telling and teaching of the story of Adam and Eve. Most people only really think of Cain and Able when it comes to their children, but of course there could have been more before.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

Heidadela wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 15:14 I believe that the creation days are literal days, not a day for a thousand. When you use the biblical calendar keenly, starting from the six creation days to the time Jesus died on the cross, it will give you 4000+ literal years, not billions. However, it will take a real, dilligent student of the Bible to discern this fact. The 'one day for a thousand' view is about how God perceives the world.
I agree, for God to perceive one day as thousands of years, it makes sense, because how else could God be seeing all billions of our actions and judge us later by them if it doesn't take him quite some time. But then again there is the aspect of God being all-powerful and all-knowing. That really is quite the mystery.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

MsH2k wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 23:11 I was surprised to read that Adam and Eve already had children when they were banished from Eden. My notes at the part in the book are: "What? Makes sense, but WHAT?"
This shocked me as well! I think I was even more shocked when I learned that Cain and Abel married their sisters! I also think in all the times I've read Genesis, I totally missed the fact that Adam and Eve even were married, much less that they consummated that marriage and had children!
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

I think the most shocking thing in this book for me was the finding that one day in the Bible is such a long time for God. This is similar to what I've always believed, but I was thrilled that this belief could be backed up by empirical Biblical documents. I also want to point out that what we read as the Bible has been translated from its original state several hundreds of times. I was surprised to learn that the Jewish Bible was not allowed to be written, but instead had to be passed on orally for years. This changes my view of the Old Testament because I realize how many things can change through oral tradition.

Sorry, that was two things! But they both shocked me!
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 14:18 The fact that the oldest that some people think the world is 49,000 years when there is so much evidence proving otherwise. Also that even more think that it is around 6,000 years old. This is literally impossible as we know that there was complex civilisation around 3000BC and if God created man on the 6th day, then the earth would have existed more than 6,000 years ago, especially if one day for God is thousands of years for us. Also there is evidence of civilisation, albeit not complex, in 35000 BC - when the wheel was invented. So how could the Earth be that young if civilisation has existed much longer, and if civilisation came after everything else God created then the Erath must be even older! The fact people thought the Earth was that young is shocking to me!
Don't you think that this notion of "one day for God is a thousand years for us" has been taken too literally? I understand that God certainly doesn't measure time as man does, but this metaphor seems quite exaggerated.
Nonetheless, I agree with you that the earth is way older than 6,000 years or even 49,000 years. I've never really thought of how old the earth is, but I just know that it is ancient.
Hhannahh

Post by Hhannahh »

Mvictoria wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 11:08 I think the most shocking thing in this book for me was the finding that one day in the Bible is such a long time for God. This is similar to what I've always believed, but I was thrilled that this belief could be backed up by empirical Biblical documents. I also want to point out that what we read as the Bible has been translated from its original state several hundreds of times. I was surprised to learn that the Jewish Bible was not allowed to be written, but instead had to be passed on orally for years. This changes my view of the Old Testament because I realize how many things can change through oral tradition.

Sorry, that was two things! But they both shocked me!
You know, I often wonder how much modification the Word has gone through as it traveled through the centuries. I suppose that some alterations were innocent misinterpretations, and some others were deliberate misrepresentations intended to suit the transmitter's purpose.
I do believe the bible, but I'm certain that it is not without man's influence (both good and bad).
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

I really enjoyed reading the way author has presented all the facts. I was not exactly shocked but was surprised regarding the time difference of God and humans.
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Hhannahh wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 09:20
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 14:18 The fact that the oldest that some people think the world is 49,000 years when there is so much evidence proving otherwise. Also that even more think that it is around 6,000 years old. This is literally impossible as we know that there was complex civilisation around 3000BC and if God created man on the 6th day, then the earth would have existed more than 6,000 years ago, especially if one day for God is thousands of years for us. Also there is evidence of civilisation, albeit not complex, in 35000 BC - when the wheel was invented. So how could the Earth be that young if civilisation has existed much longer, and if civilisation came after everything else God created then the Erath must be even older! The fact people thought the Earth was that young is shocking to me!
Don't you think that this notion of "one day for God is a thousand years for us" has been taken too literally? I understand that God certainly doesn't measure time as man does, but this metaphor seems quite exaggerated.
Nonetheless, I agree with you that the earth is way older than 6,000 years or even 49,000 years. I've never really thought of how old the earth is, but I just know that it is ancient.
I definitely think it is exaggerated, but I guess because I believe God created the Big Bang and the earth is a product of that, it is just hard for me to believe that the earth is no older than 6000 years, if that makes sense? Scientifically speaking, it is 4.5 billion years old.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Hhannahh

Post by Hhannahh »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 13:17
I definitely think it is exaggerated, but I guess because I believe God created the Big Bang and the earth is a product of that, it is just hard for me to believe that the earth is no older than 6000 years, if that makes sense? Scientifically speaking, it is 4.5 billion years old.
You speak with such intriuging certainty. Nice.
This might come as a shock to you, but I don't understood the Big Bang Theory. Actually, I've never looked into it. It has always been on my 'to research' list, but I never got around to doing that. Maybe you can enlighten me, please. :)
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Hhannahh wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 02:44
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 13:17

You speak with such intriuging certainty. Nice.
This might come as a shock to you, but I don't understood the Big Bang Theory. Actually, I've never looked into it. It has always been on my 'to research' list, but I never got around to doing that. Maybe you can enlighten me, please. :)
of course! Basically there was one spot of hot dense matter and due to the density and pressure it ended up exploding outwards at rapid speed. After the initial explosion, the universe began to cool down, allowing the formation of the first subatomic particles (atoms). These atoms (mostly hydrogen and helium) formed gas clouds. Each of these atoms have their own gravitational pull and eventually they all collided and started forming bigger atoms through nuclear fusion. This led to the creation of the first stars. The more they fused, the bigger and heavier the elements got. Some of the biggest stars in our universe can form elements up to iron! Some of the bigger stars then eventually exploded (supernova) and these particles then collided to form new forms such as planets. This has eventually led to the formation of Earth 4.5 billion years ago. The youngest that the Earth can possible be is 3.7 billion, but 4.5 is the most accepted. The universe itself is around 13.8 to 14.5 billion years old because none of this could have happened in the space of 6,000 years!

That is a very simplified version, I am not a scientist, but that is what I remember from my physics lessons at school. Some of it may be inaccurate, but I hope that makes sense and sums it up nicely for you!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”