Which fact or theory in this book shocked you the most, and why?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Re: Which fact or theory in this book shocked you the most, and why?

Post by Hhannahh »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 06:37
Hhannahh wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 02:44
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 13:17
I definitely think it is exaggerated, but I guess because I believe God created the Big Bang and the earth is a product of that, it is just hard for me to believe that the earth is no older than 6000 years, if that makes sense? Scientifically speaking, it is 4.5 billion years old.
You speak with such intriuging certainty. Nice.
This might come as a shock to you, but I don't understood the Big Bang Theory. Actually, I've never looked into it. It has always been on my 'to research' list, but I never got around to doing that. Maybe you can enlighten me, please. :)
of course! Basically there was one spot of hot dense matter and due to the density and pressure it ended up exploding outwards at rapid speed. After the initial explosion, the universe began to cool down, allowing the formation of the first subatomic particles (atoms). These atoms (mostly hydrogen and helium) formed gas clouds. Each of these atoms have their own gravitational pull and eventually they all collided and started forming bigger atoms through nuclear fusion. This led to the creation of the first stars. The more they fused, the bigger and heavier the elements got. Some of the biggest stars in our universe can form elements up to iron! Some of the bigger stars then eventually exploded (supernova) and these particles then collided to form new forms such as planets. This has eventually led to the formation of Earth 4.5 billion years ago. The youngest that the Earth can possible be is 3.7 billion, but 4.5 is the most accepted. The universe itself is around 13.8 to 14.5 billion years old because none of this could have happened in the space of 6,000 years!

That is a very simplified version, I am not a scientist, but that is what I remember from my physics lessons at school. Some of it may be inaccurate, but I hope that makes sense and sums it up nicely for you!
It makes perfect sense now. It's a crazy theory, though. Thank you.
And you do sound like a scientist (at least to me who has little knowledge on these matters 😄).
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I'm not a Christian so I don't know much about the religion but it was nice to see God's value of time and that some people leave very long.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

joynob24365 wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 11:57 I'm not a Christian so I don't know much about the religion but it was nice to see God's value of time and that some people leave very long.
Knowing that God perceives time differently than we do was a nice thing to know :D. Back then though it was extremely rare for people to have a long life span. Even 300 years ago getting to have lived to the age of 45 was considered a great milestone.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Those People Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Hhannahh wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 10:55
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 06:37
Hhannahh wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 02:44

You speak with such intriuging certainty. Nice.
This might come as a shock to you, but I don't understood the Big Bang Theory. Actually, I've never looked into it. It has always been on my 'to research' list, but I never got around to doing that. Maybe you can enlighten me, please. :)
of course! Basically there was one spot of hot dense matter and due to the density and pressure it ended up exploding outwards at rapid speed. After the initial explosion, the universe began to cool down, allowing the formation of the first subatomic particles (atoms). These atoms (mostly hydrogen and helium) formed gas clouds. Each of these atoms have their own gravitational pull and eventually they all collided and started forming bigger atoms through nuclear fusion. This led to the creation of the first stars. The more they fused, the bigger and heavier the elements got. Some of the biggest stars in our universe can form elements up to iron! Some of the bigger stars then eventually exploded (supernova) and these particles then collided to form new forms such as planets. This has eventually led to the formation of Earth 4.5 billion years ago. The youngest that the Earth can possible be is 3.7 billion, but 4.5 is the most accepted. The universe itself is around 13.8 to 14.5 billion years old because none of this could have happened in the space of 6,000 years!

That is a very simplified version, I am not a scientist, but that is what I remember from my physics lessons at school. Some of it may be inaccurate, but I hope that makes sense and sums it up nicely for you!
It makes perfect sense now. It's a crazy theory, though. Thank you.
And you do sound like a scientist (at least to me who has little knowledge on these matters 😄).
It is quite a complex theory, but it makes sense! There is so much evidence to back it up! (And ahhhh thank you, I'm doing ancient history at uni, not science, but this is just a special interest of mine :lol2: )
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by zulfiyya »

I'm not religious and I've only briefly read about the commonly known stories such as Adam and Eve. I was surprised to find out that Adam and Eve were actually written to have had kids.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I think the author brings up interesting points, but I would not count them as facts. There are so many theories out there, that it is impossible to know exactly how old the earth is and the timing of everything. People will continue to try to prove their theories but we cannot positively know because we were not there. I did learn a lot about Kaballah (which I had never heard of).
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

MsH2k wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 23:11 I was surprised to read that Adam and Eve already had children when they were banished from Eden. My notes at the part in the book are: "What? Makes sense, but WHAT?"

I went back and carefully reread Genesis 1-4 and realized this information could easily fit into what isn't explicitly stated in the Bible. It reinforced to me that there are some things the Bible does not specify. Proverb 25:2 comes to mind: "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

Good question!
Your point is really interesting, there is so much written in ways that we need to work our heads around it in order to come up with theories or new details. It scares me how many details and information are hidden in ways that are right in from of us.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Ana Victoria2002 wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 13:50
MsH2k wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 23:11 I was surprised to read that Adam and Eve already had children when they were banished from Eden. My notes at the part in the book are: "What? Makes sense, but WHAT?"

I went back and carefully reread Genesis 1-4 and realized this information could easily fit into what isn't explicitly stated in the Bible. It reinforced to me that there are some things the Bible does not specify. Proverb 25:2 comes to mind: "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

Good question!
Your point is really interesting, there is so much written in ways that we need to work our heads around it in order to come up with theories or new details. It scares me how many details and information are hidden in ways that are right in from of us.
Right! I keep thinking I need to switch the translation that I read to keep from getting lulled by the familiarity of it. But even with the same translation, I am always running into something I didn’t see the last time I read the same verse.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

joynob24365 wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 11:57 I'm not a Christian so I don't know much about the religion but it was nice to see God's value of time and that some people leave very long.
That's respectful of you. But that's not really what's in the Bible, it is the author's interpretation of time in God's eyes. That for Him, a day is thousands of years.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

Noda21k wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 00:31
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 14:18 The fact that the oldest that some people think the world is is 49,000 years when there is so much evidence proving otherwise. Also that even more think that it is around 6,000 years old. This is literally impossible as we know that there was complex civilisation around 3000BC and if God created man on the 6th day, then the earth would have existed more than 6,000 years ago, especially if one day for God is thousands of years for us. Also there is evidence of civilisation, albeit not complex, in 35000 BC - when the wheel was invented. So how could the Earth be that young if civilisation has existed much longer, and if civilisation came after everything else God created then the Erath must be even older! The fact people thought the Earth was that young is shocking to me!
This is the reason why many children are taught (via religion) that the dinosaurs didn't exist and such nonsense like that. It didn't shock me, because I was already aware of it. Considering the past year, it's not surprising anymore that people willfully ignore scientific facts.
That is speculation that religion doesn't teach about dinosaurs at all. It is merely never mentioned and nobody in religion says don't believe in science. In fact, most people just do both because you cannot ignore science.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

I am not quite sure I believe that Adam and Eve had "children" before their banishment. It really did shock me, literally.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

The idea that Adam and Eve already had children before leaving the garden would have shocked me, but it made too much sense. I was shocked by the estimated time the world has lasted, and how long people think it has lasted.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I heard this theory years ago, and it answers the question of where Cain's wife came from. She was either one of those children who moved away from Eden, or one of their children.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

63tty wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 06:43
Noda21k wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 00:31
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 14:18 The fact that the oldest that some people think the world is is 49,000 years when there is so much evidence proving otherwise. Also that even more think that it is around 6,000 years old. This is literally impossible as we know that there was complex civilisation around 3000BC and if God created man on the 6th day, then the earth would have existed more than 6,000 years ago, especially if one day for God is thousands of years for us. Also there is evidence of civilisation, albeit not complex, in 35000 BC - when the wheel was invented. So how could the Earth be that young if civilisation has existed much longer, and if civilisation came after everything else God created then the Erath must be even older! The fact people thought the Earth was that young is shocking to me!
This is the reason why many children are taught (via religion) that the dinosaurs didn't exist and such nonsense like that. It didn't shock me, because I was already aware of it. Considering the past year, it's not surprising anymore that people willfully ignore scientific facts.
That is speculation that religion doesn't teach about dinosaurs at all. It is merely never mentioned and nobody in religion says don't believe in science. In fact, most people just do both because you cannot ignore science.
It's not speculation. Some religious fundamentalist sects DO teach that dinosaurs never existed. Most religions don't mention it and even the Vatican has taken the position that the bible is not meant to be a literal history of the world, but there are some that do believe it is 100% truth. Those groups are also crazy in other ways, but that's another story. :?

Also, if the past year has shown us nothing else, people DO ignore science, because they don't "believe" in it. Why else do flat earthers, antivaxxers, and other such groups exist? They view science as a belief system and not fact. I don't get it either, but their existence proves that people can and DO ignore science. I'm not sure why that's becoming the new "thing" either. :|
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

The theory about the world ending in this century. I wouldn't say I actually found it quite shocking, but I was definitely amazed that he went through such lengths to explain it.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”