Which fact or theory in this book shocked you the most, and why?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Re: Which fact or theory in this book shocked you the most, and why?

Post by 63tty »

Noda21k wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 20:17
63tty wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 06:43
Noda21k wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 00:31

This is the reason why many children are taught (via religion) that the dinosaurs didn't exist and such nonsense like that. It didn't shock me, because I was already aware of it. Considering the past year, it's not surprising anymore that people willfully ignore scientific facts.
That is speculation that religion doesn't teach about dinosaurs at all. It is merely never mentioned and nobody in religion says don't believe in science. In fact, most people just do both because you cannot ignore science.
It's not speculation. Some religious fundamentalist sects DO teach that dinosaurs never existed. Most religions don't mention it and even the Vatican has taken the position that the bible is not meant to be a literal history of the world, but there are some that do believe it is 100% truth. Those groups are also crazy in other ways, but that's another story. :?

Also, if the past year has shown us nothing else, people DO ignore science, because they don't "believe" in it. Why else do flat earthers, antivaxxers, and other such groups exist? They view science as a belief system and not fact. I don't get it either, but their existence proves that people can and DO ignore science. I'm not sure why that's becoming the new "thing" either. :|
Okay, now I had no idea about that. Now I know about the religions that do that but please don't generalize. If you mentioned that specifically in the beginning, I do agree with you. Don't say religion because there are so many different
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

Noda21k wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 00:31
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 14:18 The fact that the oldest that some people think the world is is 49,000 years when there is so much evidence proving otherwise. Also that even more think that it is around 6,000 years old. This is literally impossible as we know that there was complex civilisation around 3000BC and if God created man on the 6th day, then the earth would have existed more than 6,000 years ago, especially if one day for God is thousands of years for us. Also there is evidence of civilisation, albeit not complex, in 35000 BC - when the wheel was invented. So how could the Earth be that young if civilisation has existed much longer, and if civilisation came after everything else God created then the Erath must be even older! The fact people thought the Earth was that young is shocking to me!
This is the reason why many children are taught (via religion) that the dinosaurs didn't exist and such nonsense like that. It didn't shock me, because I was already aware of it. Considering the past year, it's not surprising anymore that people willfully ignore scientific facts.
Apt! In this day and age it's ludicrous that there are still people who willfully ignore scientific fact in the face of so many irrefutable evidence. How can the world possibly be 6,000 years old?
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

One of the interesting and the shocking fact I came across from this book was that Adam and Eve had children in the beginning but they were banished. So there is no history written about their children after this.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

I learned many things from this book, the one that impressed me the most was the discovery of Edwin Hubble, who by studying the nebulae and realizing that they were moving away from the Earth at an increasing speed, managed to estimate the age of the world and lay the foundations for future scientific studies.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

What shocked me is that Adam and Eve had children before being banished from Eden. This has made me study my bible alot.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

Nicholus Schroeder wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 04:38
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 14:18 The fact that the oldest that some people think the world is is 49,000 years when there is so much evidence proving otherwise. Also that even more think that it is around 6,000 years old. This is literally impossible as we know that there was complex civilisation around 3000BC and if God created man on the 6th day, then the earth would have existed more than 6,000 years ago, especially if one day for God is thousands of years for us. Also there is evidence of civilisation, albeit not complex, in 35000 BC - when the wheel was invented. So how could the Earth be that young if civilisation has existed much longer, and if civilisation came after everything else God created then the Erath must be even older! The fact people thought the Earth was that young is shocking to me!
I know right!, it's just mind boggling how some people believe that civilization could have come so far in such a small of amount of time.
And totally mind boggling how you believe it couldn't. Did you know that exactly a century ago Humans did not know of the existence of viruses? Around two decades later, the electron microscope was invented and humans were able to see organisms way smaller than bacteria. That is around two decades after the influenza pandemic of 1918. What could stop civilization from reaching the current proportion in 6000 years? All humanity need is a trigger.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It's scientific evidence that the world isn't just 49.000 years old. Billions of ages have passed to reach the time spot we are at now. It's sad that there are people believing such theories nowadays.
Joez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joez.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joez »

When I read the Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon, a while back, I remember my sticking point being the part where they say Adam and Eve had kids before they were banished from Eden. Growing up all bible stories showed only the two being evicted, so I was seriously shocked by the assertions
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

The whole concept of eschatology was new to me and fascinating together with the different lengths of time we use now. Plus the ages that people lived for, like 700 years.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I was surprised that Adam and Eve sinned before the days of creation were over. By this I mean, before the seventh day.
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

The fact that one day for god is a thousand for us really surprised me because I believed that time didn't exist for god. However, I found this fact really interesting and hope to learn more about it.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

I was fascinated by the fact that the author wrote that even though Adam had just been created his body reflected a mature middle-aged man. The same went for all the vegetation and animals in the Garden of Eden.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Nicholus Schroeder wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 07:09 Learning that one day for god is a thousand for us was surprising and with this in mind man of religion where able to ascertain that the universe is almost 13 billion years old which is what scientists believe also.
In my opinion, while I'm almost certain the Earth is more than 6,000 years old and there are grey areas of the history of time we're missing or misunderstanding, I don't think the Bible meant it literally when it said that God sees a thousand years as one day. I don't believe that was alluding to an actual mathematical measure of time.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Jachike Samuelson wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 02:31
Nicholus Schroeder wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 07:09 Learning that one day for god is a thousand for us was surprising and with this in mind man of religion where able to ascertain that the universe is almost 13 billion years old which is what scientists believe also.
In my opinion, while I'm almost certain the Earth is more than 6,000 years old and there are grey areas of the history of time we're missing or misunderstanding, I don't think the Bible meant it literally when it said that God sees a thousand years as one day. I don't believe that was alluding to an actual mathematical measure of time.
The real issue here isn't the measure of time as that is just purely subjective, the problem is the reliability and authenticity of these "sacred texts" that were written an incredible long time ago, there is no definitive way of knowing if there's any truth behind any religious text unfortunately.
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

What shocked me the most is the fact that one day for god is like a thousand for us.Also the point where the author estimated the age of earth.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”