Which fact or theory in this book shocked you the most, and why?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Prabhat Sunil Mathur
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prabhat-sunil-mathur.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq

Re: Which fact or theory in this book shocked you the most, and why?

Post by Prabhat Sunil Mathur »

The idea of "free will" shocked me the most, which I think is the best part of this book. Thanks to the author!!!
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

Well, oddly, nothing did ''shock me." Probably because I read it with an open mind or better still, nothing was surprising due to the kind of resources I've read or come across.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Joez wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 01:48 When I read the Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon, a while back, I remember my sticking point being the part where they say Adam and Eve had kids before they were banished from Eden. Growing up all bible stories showed only the two being evicted, so I was seriously shocked by the assertions
Same here. In Genesis, there is information about Adam and Eve’s children, and it makes sense that the siblings married each other, but that one shift in when they first had children was surprising. Researching this assertion was a good exercise for me.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

It wasn't a shock as much as it was an enlightenment. Like a bulb turned on all of a sudden. It's when the author explained how the timeline of Genesis is not what we normally perceive reading a few lines after the others. It took years in between. It makes you think about your entire approach in reading the bible or scriptures.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

The book did not resonate with me. As I always like to accept facts if they are scientifically proven. There for the book did not make me intrigued. On the other hand I felt it was not worth the time to ponder upon the book.
Adhithya K R
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhithya-k-r.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Adhithya K R »

Noda21k wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 00:31
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 14:18 The fact that the oldest that some people think the world is is 49,000 years when there is so much evidence proving otherwise. Also that even more think that it is around 6,000 years old. This is literally impossible as we know that there was complex civilisation around 3000BC and if God created man on the 6th day, then the earth would have existed more than 6,000 years ago, especially if one day for God is thousands of years for us. Also there is evidence of civilisation, albeit not complex, in 35000 BC - when the wheel was invented. So how could the Earth be that young if civilisation has existed much longer, and if civilisation came after everything else God created then the Erath must be even older! The fact people thought the Earth was that young is shocking to me!
This is the reason why many children are taught (via religion) that the dinosaurs didn't exist and such nonsense like that. It didn't shock me, because I was already aware of it. Considering the past year, it's not surprising anymore that people willfully ignore scientific facts.
Yes, it feels like we are reasoning backwards to validate a story that we have already decided upon. We might be able to devise a different scale of time perception for humans and for God, but is that really necessary? I think it's more productive if we take the empirical facts that we have in our possession, and build on our understanding from the ground up. If that leads to the necessity for a supernatural force to exist, then it can be brought in. Otherwise, it feels like facts are being distorted to fit a story that has no external validation.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

We should understand that science and scientists' discoveries are based on hypotheses. I may not agree with the measurement of time that was attached to earth. If the Bible did not state, I could not ascertain it.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

MsH2k wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 23:11 I was surprised to read that Adam and Eve already had children when they were banished from Eden. My notes at the part in the book are: "What? Makes sense, but WHAT?"

I went back and carefully reread Genesis 1-4 and realized this information could easily fit into what isn't explicitly stated in the Bible. It reinforced to me that there are some things the Bible does not specify. Proverb 25:2 comes to mind: "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

Good question!
I felt exactly the same way about this. It never before occurred to me that the children of Adam and Eve could have been born before the famous episode with the snake. However, as you said, it makes perfect sense. Another thing that shocked me is that according to this book we are still waiting for the Messiah to come. However, according to my beliefs, the Messiah already came. This book does not seem to recognize Jesus (or John the Babtist) and I had a very hard time trying to swallow that. Regardless, many theories presented in this book were really good, well-argued, and made perfect sense to me.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Noda21k wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 00:31
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 14:18 The fact that the oldest that some people think the world is is 49,000 years when there is so much evidence proving otherwise. Also that even more think that it is around 6,000 years old. This is literally impossible as we know that there was complex civilisation around 3000BC and if God created man on the 6th day, then the earth would have existed more than 6,000 years ago, especially if one day for God is thousands of years for us. Also there is evidence of civilisation, albeit not complex, in 35000 BC - when the wheel was invented. So how could the Earth be that young if civilisation has existed much longer, and if civilisation came after everything else God created then the Erath must be even older! The fact people thought the Earth was that young is shocking to me!
This is the reason why many children are taught (via religion) that the dinosaurs didn't exist and such nonsense like that. It didn't shock me, because I was already aware of it. Considering the past year, it's not surprising anymore that people willfully ignore scientific facts.
Wow!! such people confirm the phrase "seeing is believing". All the years of hardwork of so many scientists and still people having second thoughts .... it is shocking
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
KapuKapu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kapukapu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by KapuKapu »

For me is how God perceives time debunking all scientific theories about how old the universe is.
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Post by Ruth Naomi »

MsH2k wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 23:11 I was surprised to read that Adam and Eve already had children when they were banished from Eden. My notes at the part in the book are: "What? Makes sense, but WHAT?"

I went back and carefully reread Genesis 1-4 and realized this information could easily fit into what isn't explicitly stated in the Bible. It reinforced to me that there are some things the Bible does not specify. Proverb 25:2 comes to mind: "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings."

Good question!
When the book said that Adam and Eve already had children while been thrown from the Garden of Eden, I went back to the Bible to confirm those facts. Even though I'm not quite the religious type, I had to peruse the Bible to confirm.
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Post by Ruth Naomi »

I'm not sure how the authors came about the exact age of the earth. I don't think anywhere in the Bible is listed so. That's what shocked me most.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

I agree with this. I was so shocked, I had to take out my Bible just to verify. I had always had the impression that only the couple got kicked out of the garden. But with the children?! It was an interesting and very possible revelation.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Nicholus Schroeder wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 07:09 Learning that one day for god is a thousand for us was surprising and with this in mind man of religion where able to ascertain that the universe is almost 13 billion years old which is what scientists believe also.
This is exactly what shocked me too. I remember having a conversation with my husband where we were talking about how people before Christ lived to be 800 and 900 years and now the life expectancy is barely 60-70 years. I told him that maybe the days were calculated differently during those days, but even then the concept of God years surprised me.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Before reading this book, I had already heard about the theory that one day in Creation was equal to millions of years in our current measurement of time. But in the last chapter, the authors discuss the Fall of Man in Genesis, and I found it interesting because it says that Eve also gave the Forbidden Fruit to the animals in the Garden of Eden, causing them to become mortal too. I had never heard of that interpretation before.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”