Relativity of Time

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Relativity of Time

Post by Kavita Shah »

ReaderAisha2020 wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 03:00 We often experience tome differently. Although we use clocks and watches to measure time "objectively," we often don't feel that time. We perceive a minute as a long time at times, and a day as finishing in a minute in others. Time seems to pass quickly at times, and slowly at others, so it seems to depend on other factors. Even we see people of the same age are often not the same, so they seem to have experienced time differently.

Time does not apply to God, since He created it and is not subject to time. Therefore, I guess that the periods referred to are those outside of this world and within another realm and they are the closest thing to what we would call a day or certain periods.
So True, time isn't the same for all as the notion says. Some have the same time but in reality the way time moves for a person is different from another.
Nithilah Ayyappan
Currently Reading: We Hunt the Flame
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nithilah-ayyappan.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B07KR2N2GF

Post by Nithilah Ayyappan »

Time is relative, so having different views of time wouldn't necessarily mean that one view is wrong. Even in the present-day, time is relative based on geography and culture, and not one region is more accurate than the other.
fiocha1996_25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiocha1996-25.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fiocha1996_25 »

I believe the whole concept of time is relative. Different cultures created devices to help measure their time, and it differs from the type of culture and the geographical location. I believe the author represented the time issue correctly and coherently for the time he's explaining.
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

Time was complex during Ancient History because no one standardised how it was being measured. To the modern society, who are capable of measuring time in a universally standardised way and studying objects to gauge accurately how old they are in our form of standardised time, it's no longer such a complex concept. It's only complex when you have to read ancient texts and figure out their perception of time.
Sidi_254
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidi-254.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Sidi_254 »

The concept of time is relative depending on one's culture and geographic location. I recently read in Ironing by Navajo a character asking why is clockwise that way round? Each society had their own way of telling time. Some used the sun others the seasons. A day in the Bible could mean something totally different today.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

Yes, there is relativity in time. I strongly believe that time has to do with the geographical setting of a place, and this made people of divers geographical location experience time differently. Also, in the bible, when God says 40 days and 40 night, we can objectively believe that this would mean 24 hours in 40 places.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

The context of the Bible is written in two geographical considerations: Hebrew and Aramaic. The initial is still a measurement through which the Bible times were measured.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Was the concept of time really vague for those who wrote the scriptures? Archeologists and scientists have been able to pinpoint significant Biblical happenings to specific timelines in our history. However I can understand our confusion with the subject. God is eternal and even the Bible said a thousand years is like a day in His eyes.
KapuKapu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kapukapu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by KapuKapu »

The writer tackles the issue of time rather well and ascertain factors that led to how the authors of the Bible captured it.
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

ViviVivid wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 10:19 Time is something that's not absolute as famously said by Einstein. For someone sitting idly or going through a difficult time might feel that the time is passing slower but someone who is enjoying and is with their loved ones would feel it went by quickly. This could be the reason for the confusing time allotment in these scriptures. Difficult times seem to pass much slower than happier ones. Since there was no way of measuring the time it is quite difficult to understand the exact point of occurrence of the event. The important thing is not time but what we learn from these texts and what they are trying to tell.
According to Einstein Time is relative to something else. If for example you are on a deadline. Your time will move relative to that deadline.In scripture time moved relative to something. the last supper occured in relative time to the cruxificion of Jesus
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

Time is an illusion.You only see time when its relative to something or relative to an event occuring.most events in the scripture occur relative to something. The night of the passover when the first born boys were killed by king Herod and so forth
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I have always been confused by the concept of time specifically related to the Bible. 6 days to God in my opinion, is not 6 days to us, just as an example. I truly wish I could better grasp the measure of time. I feel like I’d better understand every aspect of the Bible.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think time was measured differently than it is now. A while ago I was talking to my husband when this topic came up that people in the earlier times, especially before Christ had long lives which went up to 800-900 years. Now we barely live till the age of 60-70. Life expectancy has been reduced. So I mentioned that maybe time was measured differently then, that's why it comes across as longer lives.
Marisol Mendez
Currently Reading: Milk and Honey
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisol-mendez.html
Latest Review: Wandering Feelings by Boyko Ovcharov

Post by Marisol Mendez »

I did notice the complexities of time in this book! I think that it is so crazy how everyone mentioned has a different version of it. It definitely supports many of the authors theories.
Simmons32
Currently Reading: Cengage Advantage Books
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simmons32.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Simmons32 »

I have to say that I did not agree with this aspect of the book. I believe that when God created the earth, it was just average days as we have now. When it mentions God viewing a day as a thousand years, it’s in reference to heaven. Earth is not heaven. Therefore we do not have the same time system that heaven does.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”