Relativity of Time

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Relativity of Time

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

Did anyone notice the complexity of measuring time in tis book? Apparently the concept of time was vague in the minds of those who wrote the scriptures and the people in their time. I had to read other accounts of time measurement to wrap my head around how Friedmann and Sheldon were dealing with it here. The "hour" in particular varied greatly in Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic usage; it could be anything from an instant to an entire season!
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Coromandel Dreamin' by Ron Murray

Post by Praise GodWord »

We must understand that the issue of time is directly connected to geography and people. This does not imply that the writers of the Bible or scriptures are wrong; they only write in relation to their geography.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

It is true that the concept of time and space varies depending on the geographical position of a place. Moreover, the universality of time is not uniform across the globe.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
rondanoh1
Favorite Book: 101 Dalmations
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rondanoh1.html
Latest Review: Daniel and Revelation for Today by Mae Abdul-Karim Wertz
Reading Device: B07K1RZWMC

Post by rondanoh1 »

I think we have to understand that God created the 24 hour day for humans to measure time. This concept has changed over our history based on our knowledge of our world and our universe. When God describes a time, He gives us a word to help us understand something that only He truly understands. In eternity time, as we know it, doesn't exist.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

rondanoh1 wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 13:10 I think we have to understand that God created the 24 hour day for humans to measure time. This concept has changed over our history based on our knowledge of our world and our universe. When God describes a time, He gives us a word to help us understand something that only He truly understands. In eternity time, as we know it, doesn't exist.
I'd say God allotted for 24 hours to be in a day, but he didn't necessarily measuring them that weigh. The Hour system of measurement is more a product of man to understand cycle of light and day. If we were motivated enough we could create a form of metric time where every metric minute would be 100 metric seconds. 100 of those in a metric hour, and so on but that would be some intense math. The allotted time at the point of a day's creation wouldn't change with our system, just our process for tracking time's passing.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 22%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Time is irrelevant in myth. These stories were created to appeal to uneducated people in an attempt to explain the unexplainable in a world where science was yet at the forefront of an individual's life. Although I was intrigued by the author's attempts to equate biblical time with actual time, I personally don't buy the argument. The Bible is filled with numbers that are used again and again to establish a length of time, not necessarily representing the actual time that passed. For example, rain for forty days and forty nights meant that the ark floated for a long time; forty days in the desert meant that Jesus retreated for a long time as an analogy to the forty days that Moses went up into the mountain. When dealing with the G-d concept, a single day would satisfy primitive notations of being able to create the world by a being so powerful.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

The concept of time changes with the society and culture you belong to. What an hour has been set as (sixty minutes) in our society may well be meaningless or at least mistaken by those who have been brought up differently culturally and geographically speaking. Also, we have no way of knowing whether 'our' minute, hour, day, etc. meant the same when the Bible was written as it does now. I would, in fact, say the odds are against it because the cultures and times are so different. It also wasn't possible to measure time with the precision we do now. Perforce, their concept of time would seem 'vague' to us.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

We often experience tome differently. Although we use clocks and watches to measure time "objectively," we often don't feel that time. We perceive a minute as a long time at times, and a day as finishing in a minute in others. Time seems to pass quickly at times, and slowly at others, so it seems to depend on other factors. Even we see people of the same age are often not the same, so they seem to have experienced time differently.

Time does not apply to God, since He created it and is not subject to time. Therefore, I guess that the periods referred to are those outside of this world and within another realm and they are the closest thing to what we would call a day or certain periods.
Myladysarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myladysarah.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Myladysarah »

I agree time can be quite confusing in the book. Theoretically, we may be able to find a connection to the Bible and science in any timeline so long as there is a pattern since the beginning could be infinitely long.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I did not find that an issue at all. I think it would have been relatively hard for anyone to measure time in those historical periods. There were no clocks, all they used were light and darkness.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Time is something that's not absolute as famously said by Einstein. For someone sitting idly or going through a difficult time might feel that the time is passing slower but someone who is enjoying and is with their loved ones would feel it went by quickly. This could be the reason for the confusing time allotment in these scriptures. Difficult times seem to pass much slower than happier ones. Since there was no way of measuring the time it is quite difficult to understand the exact point of occurrence of the event. The important thing is not time but what we learn from these texts and what they are trying to tell.
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 103%

Post by John Owen »

Yes, I think you are right. Long ago we didn't have this 24 hour, 12 months a year regime. Whatever the author is using is time as the biblical people viewed it.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Zwelakhe_mkhatshwa
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelakhe-mkhatshwa.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Zwelakhe_mkhatshwa »

Time is a complex concept on its own. As Einstein said, time is relative to space, long ago no one had an instrument to measure time hence they only relate the message based on the standard time measurements.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

That is a geography and history problem. I think that it is a bit complex for us, but the author represented it well.
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

Kelyn wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 00:14 The concept of time changes with the society and culture you belong to. What an hour has been set as (sixty minutes) in our society may well be meaningless or at least mistaken by those who have been brought up differently culturally and geographically speaking. Also, we have no way of knowing whether 'our' minute, hour, day, etc. meant the same when the Bible was written as it does now. I would, in fact, say the odds are against it because the cultures and times are so different. It also wasn't possible to measure time with the precision we do now. Perforce, their concept of time would seem 'vague' to us.
I agree with you that time is relative to culture. Remember, we used to use sun dials to tell time and that seems archaic now, but perhaps in another 3,000 years, a newer, better way of measuring time will be brought to light!

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”