Relativity of Time

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Re: Relativity of Time

Post by zulfiyya »

The way we tell time is different depending on geographical region and the tools we use to tell the time (clocks, the sunset, etc.) And different throughout different time periods and societies. The concept of time in this book was definitely complex because time itself is a complex figure. We are still learning more and more about the complexity of time as we come up with new theories of space and time and how it differs amongst various solar systems and universes.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

To me, time differs according to place and people. Someone in another particular geographical area might decide to calculate 36 hours as a day. I'm not much of a history freak, but I think in the past there were several ways days were allocated in relation to time.
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

The measure of time in the biblical days is quite the same as now. Although they had no instruments then, time was measured in moons and seasons and it's is almost the same as now.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

I think it is also a matter of using hours for something metaphorical. I think this can be both: a historical problem and a metaphor. Time is a concept that has been invented and perfected through time. Also, about the cultures that you mention, they did not have the same tools as us nowadays. Although their studies were very exact, I do not think any of those societies were as conscious of time as how we are today. Overall, I think the author deals with the topic greatly in the book.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

It is the true as per the scientific approach as well that time matter and the space are directely related to each other.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

My thought on this is that, over the years man had to create a way in which to keep track of time. This, therefore, means that in different places people had to look for a way to keep time in their own zones.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

My thought on this is that, over the years man had to create a way in which to keep track of time. This, therefore, means that in different places people had to look for a way to keep time in their own zones.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I appreciate the author's acknowledgment and in-depth discussion of time. I just thought of how different time was in the past. When they used instruments like the hourglass as well as other natural phenomenon to gauge time. I guess time is a concept we are yet to perfect, for example, time travel if it is ever going to stop being science fiction ever.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

Time is such an abstract concept when you really stop to think about it. It is always changing depending on the season and where you are in the world. It really makes you think, especially in terms of this book.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

The fact that time is not universally the same and its a function of geographical location would make me say that, the time measurement is generally subjective. Again, some people are of the opinion that the time of the bible is not as we have it now, that it is counted as cosmic time. that is, 1 day could be 1 year on earth. Also, taking into consideration that time is different on other planets too. So, we can conclude that the time of those generations is different from how we have it now.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It's the time zones and the different measurements of time by people at that time that make things complicated. Either way, time is always relative and heavily depends on people's persectives.
Phoenix_ Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Phoenix_ Thompson »

Time is a complex subject on it on, long ago in native history, a month would be equivalent to one full moon, as society progress we invent sophisticated tools to measure precise time in actual accuracy.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

It is a fact that there’s 24 hours in a day. How one seems Time (whether it be a clock, by the sun or other methods of time ) is a different experience for everyone. With that being said , in the biblical view time was too hard to measure
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

DavidOchieng wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 15:32 Did anyone notice the complexity of measuring time in tis book? Apparently the concept of time was vague in the minds of those who wrote the scriptures and the people in their time. I had to read other accounts of time measurement to wrap my head around how Friedmann and Sheldon were dealing with it here. The "hour" in particular varied greatly in Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic usage; it could be anything from an instant to an entire season!
Yes, the issue of time interpretation has stumped me too whenever I read scripture. As much as I believe it is God's inspired word, I know it will take more than spiritual inspiration to logically decipher time wherever it is mentioned in the Bible.
Phoenix451
Currently Reading: Respect
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix451.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Phoenix451 »

Even physics isn't as concrete about time as most people think. I thought it was interesting that he took this path as it's always something I've wondered myself. It could also be analogous meaning the amount of time god spent on creation (how long it might feel to God) could equate to what humans would perceive as 7 days, rather than trying to convey to early prophets that there was a whole universe created over eons, which felt like no time at all to a God outside Space and Time. idk. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”