Relativity of Time

Use this forum to discuss the March 2021 Book of the month, "The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Relativity of Time

Post by Mvictoria »

63tty wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 10:01 I did not find that an issue at all. I think it would have been relatively hard for anyone to measure time in those historical periods. There were no clocks, all they used were light and darkness.
I completely agree with you! I think it's so interesting that you chose to use the words light and darkness, because we know from the Bible that God created those things! We also know that the Bible says men and women used to live almost a thousand years. Since we know scientifically that that is unlikely, it is possible that previous generations used a different measure of time.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

rondanoh1 wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 13:10 I think we have to understand that God created the 24 hour day for humans to measure time. This concept has changed over our history based on our knowledge of our world and our universe. When God describes a time, He gives us a word to help us understand something that only He truly understands. In eternity time, as we know it, doesn't exist.
Exactly!
Excellent way to explain it, and I agree.
Our concept of time limits us so !much, we don't know how limited we are.
The fact that we live in 24hr time-days does not mean that everything else has to perceive time the same way.
In the author's next book - Mysteries of the First Instance, he explains this further.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

Mvictoria wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 11:59
63tty wrote: 13 Mar 2021, 10:01 I did not find that an issue at all. I think it would have been relatively hard for anyone to measure time in those historical periods. There were no clocks, all they used were light and darkness.
I completely agree with you! I think it's so interesting that you chose to use the words light and darkness, because we know from the Bible that God created those things! We also know that the Bible says men and women used to live almost a thousand years. Since we know scientifically that that is unlikely, it is possible that previous generations used a different measure of time.
I'm sure they did measure it differently but don't you think the reason why we live to maybe 120 years maximum is because of punishment for the sins of Eve and Adam and not science? Maybe we could die of old age like in the past.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

DavidOchieng wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 15:32 Did anyone notice the complexity of measuring time in tis book? Apparently the concept of time was vague in the minds of those who wrote the scriptures and the people in their time. I had to read other accounts of time measurement to wrap my head around how Friedmann and Sheldon were dealing with it here. The "hour" in particular varied greatly in Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic usage; it could be anything from an instant to an entire season!
The concept of measuring time, as I've come to realize, is relative. And this relativity factor applies to virtually everything of man. It explains the multiple interpretations and translations of the bible. Not understanding the relativity of a subject matter can lead to misunderstanding and subsequently, disagreement - as can be observed through history. Relativity might also lead to misinterpretation.
So the key to accepting the relativity of things is understanding.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Indeed yes!
Time difference is strange in the book.
But I believe that the author has indepth knowledge and has presented the best information in the book.
It seems that God has created a pattern of 24 hours a day for the well-being of humans.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Time is irrelevant in my mind. What one person sees as a long time, others may not. In Biblical society, time is measured by dark, light, and seasons. I find it interesting that the author attempts to place scientific events in relationship to God's time. The calendar has changed over time because the number of hours in a day (dark vs. light) have changed. If we look at daylight savings time, we are really changing the clock to meet what makes sense for those who may need more daylight. Therefore, although I appreciate the author's views, I am not sure that all of the explanations of time are valid.
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by MayorE »

Save the fact that in those days, people used different means to measure time, different geopolitical zones have different time gaps so it can’t be said that writers are wrong
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

Time, I would argue, is a third dimensional construct created by mankind. Therefore, it is different depending on where you're at and how it is measured. As also mentioned above, it feels different depending on what you are doing. It also depend on how fast you are going/vibrating. This is what a lot of theories of time travel are actually based off of. As we've gotten more accurate, time has too. This I think is why it was so vague in biblical times.
63tty

Post by 63tty »

rondanoh1 wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 13:10 I think we have to understand that God created the 24 hour day for humans to measure time. This concept has changed over our history based on our knowledge of our world and our universe. When God describes a time, He gives us a word to help us understand something that only He truly understands. In eternity time, as we know it, doesn't exist.
I dont believe it didn't exist completely, it was just simple. Maybe not in terms of hours minutes seconds and all but at least there was day and night. I believe they had that basic of time at least. To help measure meal times and other activities.
~Lily Tomlin
63tty

Post by 63tty »

Zwelakhe_mkhatshwa wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 02:35 Time is a complex concept on its own. As Einstein said, time is relative to space, long ago no one had an instrument to measure time hence they only relate the message based on the standard time measurements.
Standard time measurements in what perspective. What were those stardard time measurements because standard time measurements now and then are very different.
~Lily Tomlin
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

zainherb wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 15:37 Our concept of time limits us so !much, we don't know how limited we are.
The fact that we live in 24hr time-days does not mean that everything else has to perceive time the same way.
In the author's next book - Mysteries of the First Instance, he explains this further.
True!

Thanks also for the tip on Mysteries of the First Instance. I was wondering what new information was included in it. I’ll have to check out some of the reviews.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Since God transcends time, I don’t pay as much attention to the 24-hr thing. The Hebrew calendar is a lunar calendar, and a whole month is added in its leap year so that Passover will occur in the spring. I think seasons are more important. God specifies certain times of the year that are particularly important to Him, like Passover/Jesus’ crucifixion and Shavuot/Pentecost.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Zwelakhe_mkhatshwa
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelakhe-mkhatshwa.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Zwelakhe_mkhatshwa »

Long ago a full moon was equivalent to a month hence the reason that made me conclude to say our time relative to theirs was very different. They had no instrument to measure exact time intervals.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I could not quite wrap my head around all of his explanations. I agree that at times, time can be relative, but I don't think it is all the time. Yes, sometimes it feels like you are moving fast, other times slow, but the clock doesn't speed up or slow down for our time. Moving time zones, losing or gaining an hour, it is all confusing and tiring!
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

I think the concept of time is different for each geography and culture so we can't really say that time is the same everywhere.

Return to “Discuss "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann, Dania Sheldon”