Do we all have a meaning for others?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Re: Do we all have a meaning for others?

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This is a very true quote. Although we do not always realise it, we actually mean a lot to other people. That is why it is important to sometimes just say something kind or have a nice gesture with somebody. It can mean so much to the other person, even if it is for us just a small detail!
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

The quote makes a lot of sense.

No matter who we are, there's always someone or some people that mean a lot to us and vice versa. No man is an island. I've also always believed that we leave a print in the lives of people we come across, whether good or bad.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Sushan wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 01:15
We all have meaning for other people, and we need to do a stronger job of protecting that and recognizing that.
This is a quote from this book that caught my attention. What do you think about this statement? Does it mean that we all have a meaning for all the others, or we all have a meaning for some of the others? Do we all actually have a meaning for others? If so, what do you think about yourself? What is the meaning of yourself to others or the world? Was it difficult to recognize it? Are you working on to protect it?
It's a lovely quote. According to me, the author wants to convey that we are special and important to some people, and we need to first of all realize that we do matter to someone and secondly we have to work on it strongly and continously to protect that feeling of others for us.
Jessica Harrison 1
Currently Reading: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-harrison-1.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Jessica Harrison 1 »

I think the quote is addressing the fact that a lot of people nowadays take friends and family, loved ones, etc. for granted. And people who have self-esteem issues especially have a very difficult time recognizing how much they mean to the people around them. Thus they don't realize how much they can hurt their loved ones when they don't take care of themselves or when they hurt themselves.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I think it can be interpreted in a number of ways. However, I think that every person we meet in life has some influence on us, whether good or bad. I would also point out that not all persons have the same influence nor the same significance. Some people are a big part of our lives and we have to make an effort to maintain and improve relationships with people like that.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I didn't like the quote because I don't quiet get it. It would have been sound to me if it said we are all responsible for each other.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: My Yellow Brick Road by Patrick J Roelle Sr. / Mr. Pat

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

sssns wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 03:31 We touch the lives of the people we encounter.
The impact that we create may differ from person to person. Because of this, we should always be mindful of how we conduct ourselves so the impact that we leave are always meaningful.
I totally agree with you on this. Our words and appearance have an amazing power to affect the people we meet. It is possible to save a stranger’s day with a smile and just a few friendly words. Some encounters have such strong impact on us that we remember them for a long time, even if we never meet the same person again.
Kirsi
Molz_20
Favorite Book: How To Beat The Dream Stealers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-molz-20.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Molz_20 »

The quote is so true. We all have a meaning for others. This manifests in many ways to different people, going through different life encounters. To others you are a support structure, an encourager, helping hand or shoulder to cry on, the list goes on. Just your smile can bring comfort or hope to someone's life. It is therefore important to be aware of who you are, and always be working towards making better all the areas of your life, in order to positively impact others. I believe we are created to serve each other.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

Do we have a meaning for others? My interpretation of this is what are we to people. Have you had an impact on someone? Can someone describe your importance in their lives depending on how you treated them or how you cared for them.
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

Do we all have meaning for others?

This seems like a legit question. We all are supposed to have a purpose and meaning in life yet most of us are wandering aimlessly. I think we all have a certain amount of meaning in each other's life which helps us to find our own meaning of life. Through the search for meaning for others, we are able to understand ourselves in a better way.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Dear Little Corpses
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

We all have meaning for other people, and we need to do a stronger job of protecting that and recognizing that.
This is a quote from this book that caught my attention. What do you think about this statement? Does it mean that we all have a meaning for all the others, or we all have a meaning for some of the others? Do we all actually have a meaning for others? If so, what do you think about yourself? What is the meaning of yourself to others or the world? Was it difficult to recognize it? Are you working on to protect it?
I think we all have meaning for all others. Even the smallest things can impact people. Like smiling at someone. For all we know, that person was having a bad day and your smile brightened their day. You'll probably never see them again, but you had an impact on them, even if temporarily. We all have meaning to each other, no matter how small.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

I love this quote. I believe there are different reasons why people enter our lives or why we enter people's lives. The thing is to recognize it and appreciate it. We shouldn't take for granted the people we opportuned to meet in our everyday lives.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

dianaterrado wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 03:24

I really like this quote. The way I interpret it is that each of us portray ourselves differently to different people. That's why we need to recognize who and what we are to a certain person so we can maybe make it stronger? Or better? I don't know if this makes sense. But that's how I see it.
I agree. To some, we have and we know that we have definite meaning because we are connected to them in some manner. But there can be occasions that we do have a meaning for the ones to whom we are not directly connected to. Yet, for such people, we may be quite important figures. This is well apparent when it comes to celebrities. So it is important for all of us to understand our meaning to others and work to enhance it
kalgaonkarsnehal
Favorite Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Favorite Book: Wish You Well
Currently Reading: Connect the Dots
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalgaonkarsnehal.html
Latest Review: Effective R.U.L.E. by satish shitut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 15638

Post by kalgaonkarsnehal »

I love this quote. I resonate with it when it says we have a meaning for everyone in the world and we should protect it. In addition to that, I also feel that our meaning to each individual changes over time and we should work to preserve that, as and when the time demands. It is evident even in obvious relationships like that of a spouse, a parent etc.
“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” ― Isaac Asimov :techie-studyinggray: :D
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

The way I interpret it, it means we all have significance to other people. Everything we do, even the slightest things we do, have an impact to other people’s lives. I think the quote wants to remind people that we should remember that we are all important to somebody even if we’re not aware of it. I like this quote. It’s something to remember whenever one is feeling alone and unimportant.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”