Do we all have a meaning for others?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Do we all have a meaning for others?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Bridgetbruso99 wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 03:53 I think anyone that we encounter, good or bad, has meaning for us because it shapes us as people. If this happens to us, I think that we in turn do this for other people. You might not have the same experiences as others, but if you know someone who has had that experience that you didn't you can empathize more with a situation.
Exactly. We meet various people in our day to day life and from them we learn or we see a lot of things. In other words, as I see, we see some meaning in them for us. Maybe they are totally unaware of that, especially when it is about people like celebrities.

So, if this can happen in that way, why it cannot happen in other way around? Why cannot we have a meaning for others? Yes, we can. I think that we all have some meaning for the others
Sushan Ekanayake

Precious Naiti wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 06:29 This quote is very accurate and we all indeed have meaning for other people. It is very possible that each of us are someone’s reason to live. At times, people look at out lives for motivation and we need to do a better job of protecting the people who need us. This can be done by continuously working on ourselves and trying to improve in all areas of our lives. We should all spread love. Pure and beautiful love.
Yes, this can be implemented to the concept of role model. Most of us look at somebody as our role model and try to be like them, because what we see in them has a huge meaning for us. There is a high chance that knowingly or unknowingly we have already become a role model of somebody. In that case, it is important to identify our qualities and work continuously to maintain and improve them
KarFulMar
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by KarFulMar »

I interpret this saying to mean that we have an influence on the other people in our lives, even though we may not always recognize that we hold that role. It might even be just a stranger who we hold a door for, or the store clerk we tell “thank you, have a nice day” to. Or it could be a once close friend who we’ve somewhat lost touch with, but we take the time to respond to their Facebook post about their family.
We, as humans, tend to be social beings. And sometimes even the slightest of social interactions can influence our thoughts and feelings.
Nikhila Kulkarni
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The DrugTech Trilogy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikhila-kulkarni.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Nikhila Kulkarni »

Bridgetbruso99 wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 03:53 I think anyone that we encounter, good or bad, has meaning for us because it shapes us as people. If this happens to us, I think that we in turn do this for other people. You might not have the same experiences as others, but if you know someone who has had that experience that you didn't you can empathize more with a situation.
I agree to this. If we look back at our lives past experiences we discover the meaning of certain person's presence in our life. Similarly, we create a meaning for others although, differently for all.
Sushan Ekanayake

lumenchristi wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 14:51 This quote, to me, is sound. The way others associate with me depends on my disposition to them and the kind of values I added to their lives. The same thing applies to me. The way I see others depends on how relevant they are to me. Now, knowing this will encourage us to preserve each of these meanings so it doesn't grow stale. Once we decide to let go of the meaning, then our relationship with them expires. This is how I interpreted the quote.
That is true. Some relationships are based on blood; some are on benefits; but some are purely based on the values of a certain person, or in other words, the personality. So for such relationships to prevail, continuous polishing of the qualities is required. If you let them go away, so will the the relationships. First of all you have to identify your qualities as the author has suggested and then have to work on keeping and improving them.
Ojil Elton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ojil Elton »

Yes we all have meaning in this world and to others in the society. According to Maslow's hierarchy of needs human beings exists in five levels and each of them have meaning to the society. The best thing we should do is to recognize our values in the society and protect it without undermining those above or below us while working hard to reach the self actualization level of the hierarchy of needs.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

Yes, I believe we all mean something to others. Each of us has someone thinking about us or even depending on us. We should stop taking for granted each other and always appreciate each relationship we have.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I think it's quite a meaningful quote. How many of us think that we will encounter a rooster in our bathroom? Just like it, life is full of expected things. We may think of ourselves as some insignificant being, but who knows? Perhaps to someone out there, our existence has a special influence on them. The world will still function just fine without us, but it is different for somebody else. They can be our family, our friends, our colleagues, or our comrades. It may be hard to realize our importance, but it won't hurt thinking that we are essential to others. So, I'm trying my best to live contently, so that those who love me will be at ease.
Sushan Ekanayake

kridz21 wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 17:59 I like this quote, and I think it could be interpreted in a number of ways. I think we do have a meaning for all others, no matter how insignificant it may seem. It's the few that make up the many, if you know what I mean. For instance, if someone needed people to sign a petition and you decided to sign it, a friend may see that you signed it and decide to follow in your footsteps. Then it keeps going and going until the petition has all the signatures it needs. In this scenario, you had meaning, you contributed, and so did your friend and all the other people that followed in your footsteps. Therefore, everyone has a meaning for all others, no matter how small it is.
That is a good way to put it. You can have various meanings throughout your life to various people. Persistent meanings will determine your personality. But your relatively small, yet important meanings also will have a great contribution when persuading people towards good courses. So, yes, each and every one have a meaning for others, and whether it is big or small, it is important when the large picture is considered
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

This statement clearly means that we mean different things to each other on this earth. Let me explain further, I am a writer and an author needs a book reviewed. I am a meaningful being to him/her and I need to protect that not just for my sake, but for the wellbeing of her entire career. However, to my husband, I am simply his wife and to my kids, I am their mother. In those scenarios, I need to protect those meanings for their individual health and societal status.
Giga51087
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giga51087.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Giga51087 »

With regard to this book reference I have a very clear point of view.
Each person as an individual affects the lives of other people directly and indirectly. From the richest billionaire to the most humble of the earth's workers interact with each other even in the simple act of eating an apple.
The way in which we face this interaction speaks of us and our quality as human beings.
A protectionist attitude like that of the author of the novel is not very pleasant for me as it reminds me of the hypocritical logic in which the British empire was supported in its opportunist and pseudo-protectionist campaigns. Those same campaigns that were harmful to the economies of countries and kingdoms with ancient cultures, destroyed in the name of civilization and the authority of the English crown.
From my personal perspective as an individual. I am of the logic that if we are in a position of power or responsibility, we have a duty and an obligation to behave responsibly and morally.
That not only at the economic level but as individuals of a society. If I am a boss, it is my duty to train myself as a good boss and leader. Also its my duty to form a successor according to my ideas and oriented towards the general direction of my company, to ensure its evolution and growth over time. If I am the employee, it is my duty to work responsibly and train for the job assigned to me. Not being a robot, but performing my tasks efficiently and responsibly so that I am not a burden on my colleagues. Regardless of the position, treat people as people and not as disposable machines or a stepping stone towards my personal success.
For me, personal success comes ethically and through hard work. Since in the long run, those who arrive by shortcuts or tricks tend to collapse under their own weight and his incompetence.
It is true that our society is unjust and corrupt, but as individuals we behave as depot and corrupt beings, as we hope to improve as a society.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I see it as protecting how we perceive a person and their value to us. For instance, your mom may mean the world to you, but to an acquaintance of hers, she doesn’t mean as much.
Sushan Ekanayake

Jennifer Aldo wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 20:12 I think that our very person, our experiences, wisdom, and worldview is a collection of different people, their ideas gleaned from conversations, from the classroom, from their books, from the social media, from our parents and people around us. All we are and all we know are imprints left by others. In that same vein, our daily interactions leave imprints in others too. We would also define others and as such, be very mindful and treat this task with utmost importance.
Well said. We learn from various sources, and that is mostly from others. Since birth we are exposed to various people starting from our mother and we meet a large number of people for varying time periods. Each and every one of them leave their, as you aid, imprints on us. Most of the times we are not even aware of such a happening, yet it happens.

So why it cannot happen in the other way round? Can't we leave an imprint, or can't we be of any meaning to the others? Of course we can
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

This quote is so profound. We mean something to someone and sometimes, and from my personal experiences, sometimes other people can see so much in me that I do not get to see at the time. This has changed my life as I get to experience the good things people see in me. I can confidently say I have a meaning to other people too.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 15:50
Sushan wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 01:15
We all have meaning for other people, and we need to do a stronger job of protecting that and recognizing that.
This is a quote from this book that caught my attention. What do you think about this statement? Does it mean that we all have a meaning for all the others, or we all have a meaning for some of the others? Do we all actually have a meaning for others? If so, what do you think about yourself? What is the meaning of yourself to others or the world? Was it difficult to recognize it? Are you working on to protect it?
I think we all have meaning for all others. Even the smallest things can impact people. Like smiling at someone. For all we know, that person was having a bad day and your smile brightened their day. You'll probably never see them again, but you had an impact on them, even if temporarily. We all have meaning to each other, no matter how small.
Hey Maddie! I agree we do have meaning for others, and doing the smallest thing, like smiling at people can have an impact. You may never know or someday someone might come back and tell you the impact you made on them. Since things are like a domino effect, we could even impact people that we have not encountered, kind of like the seven degrees of separation thing.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”