What is the relevance of the book title?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
KarFulMar
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: What is the relevance of the book title?

Post by KarFulMar »

I couldn’t help but feel that the title was just a way to lure the reader in. And later finding out that the writer was in advertising, that made sense. It is a good way to capture someone’s attention, but it’s not a title I would expect from a self-help book (which is probably exactly the point).
I appreciate the sense of humor, but almost feel like the title belittles what could be useful information.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

I believe that everything (from choosing the book title to making the book cover design) that the author did was to attract the audience in simple terms. Well, at first, I also thought that it is children's book. Wait until you read the entire book, I guess it's wrong that I judged the book by its cover lol.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Jbonds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbonds.html
Latest Review: Diamond in the Desert by Karen Gilleland

Post by Jbonds »

I thought it was a kids book too! Or just a quirky fictional book. Either way, the title is definitely catchy and gave me a laugh.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

The rather unusual book title definitely caught my attention and was the main reason why I decided to pick up the book. Since the story in which the author is visited by a rooster in her bathroom is really short and takes on only a minor role in her narrative, I felt that the title was indeed just a catchy title to grab the reader's attention. And, well, in my case, it worked!
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I thought this was a children’s book. I personally still do not understand the concept of a random book title, but this may just be this author’s personal style. I was definitely not expecting the actual story itself that was shared after reading the book’s title.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

I thought at first that it's a comedy a read. But it was unbelievable for me to accept that it was an autobiography. By the way, there is a story in the book referring to this catchy and humorous title.
Judy_Jemutai7
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-jemutai7.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Judy_Jemutai7 »

I believe the author did not want to lay all her eggs on the table and it worked perfectly. The title effectively catches the reader's eye and piques ones interest and makes the want to understand what the title meant. The title most definitely attracts more readers as opposed to had the title been an ordinary one like any other.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I also assumed this book to be a children's book- with the childish title and all. But I never thought that this book was going to be such a great piece of self-help and motivational work. The title is truly irrelevant to the book's content, except for the one rooster chapter which comes in between the book.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

At first, when I see the title, I think this book is about the author's experience with rooster, and apparently not. I think the author just want to make something catchy and it's success piqued my interest in it.
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Affliction: Growing Up With a Closeted Gay Dad by Laura Hall

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

The rooster in the bathroom is a curious topic. When you volunteer in foreign countries you can expect the unexpected. The rooster's significance in the story was fleeting.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Sushan wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 01:14 When I initially read the title and the cover page, I thought that this is a children's book. Later only I read the complete title as well as the book and got to know that this is an inspirational autobiography.

Apart from the latter descriptive part of this title, what do you think about the initial part regarding a rooster being in the bathroom (There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!)? Is it a relevant or a suitable topic with regard to the whole book? Or is it a catchy title that this author has used with her experience in advertising?
There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! is a misleading title from the content of the book and not is a suitable title for the book.

Maybe it is a catchy title used by the author to get engagement in the content of the book.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

I also like the title of this book, which is what drew me to this forum in the first place. Now that I know it's not a children's book, I'd like to see the types of challenges the author discusses in this.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”