What is the relevance of the book title?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: What is the relevance of the book title?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

raj_nandani_poet wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 06:34 Oh yes, the title and the cover design both give a sense of the children's book is in the discussion. I guess this is a marketing technique because when you read the blurb and then the title, you feel confused and you want to know what that really means and to connect the dots with the story.
That is true. The reader who reads the blurb and then look at the cover page will be utterly confused because the cover page shows no signs of a self-help book or a serious autobiography, but gives hints to a hilarious children's book. So the curious reader will at least try few pages of it. Nice advertising trick by the experienced advertiser.
Tangerinehippie1
Currently Reading: The Enchantress Returns
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tangerinehippie1.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Tangerinehippie1 »

Well it may be a creative play on words much like a skeleton in the closet. It sounds ridiculous and creative at the same time.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 08:46 I definately thought this was a children’s book because of the title. The title was chosen probably because it’s different and eye catching for sure . I also think it goes deeper though, the title “Thera a rooster in my bathroom” can signify that there are things in her life ( or she wants the reader to identify in their own) that are in front of her but needs to find a way around . ( if that makes sense) having a rooster in tour bathroom is a big problem , now you just have to find a way to get it out and be gone.
That is another way to put it in. Yes, you can face with unwanted and unexpected troubles in most unexpected situations. Yet, you have to find ways to solve them because your or others' lives won't wait till you haggle with your issues. So this rooster's story is a reminder to be ready for such troubles.
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

The title did grab my attention, which I believe was the author's intent. I definitely thought it was a children's book based on the title and book cover. The title also provides insight into the author's tone of voice and mentally prepares the reader for some interesting stories. While the book title ties in with one of the chapters, I felt that there were other chapter topics that could have better demonstrated the subject matter.
Prabhat Sunil Mathur
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prabhat-sunil-mathur.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq

Post by Prabhat Sunil Mathur »

I also thought it would be a children's book but when I read it, I was amazed. Apart from comedy, it has many emotions which metaphor this book. This book is a must-read for all.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

Not only the title, the design of the book seems like a novel for kids. That can be a turn off to people who won't take time to read the description and readers who do not reading such a book.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

I think it is purely meant for advertising. It is quite catchy and makes the reader curious. Yet the author has included a descriptive subtitle to avoid the reader being misdirected. Quite an impressive move from the author's side
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Upeksha »

As soon as I saw the title, my initial impression was that it was a children's book. It made me curious to go through its content. So I think the author has used that title to attract the readers' attention and he has succeeded in the effort.
fiocha1996_25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiocha1996-25.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fiocha1996_25 »

I agree. When I saw the cover my first taught was that it was a children's book. The title is catchy and funny in a way, gives the book a sense of humor that is not often seen in this type of book. Later when you read the book, you get to understand the rooster in the title. But I feel after reading the entire thing that the cover and the title express part of that funny writing style.
Sushan Ekanayake

Lucille27 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 13:31 It is curious that we have been thinking this is a children's book. I think it also happened to me. However, I do believe that also the subtitle has a comment on this book being a journey. Considering this, I think the author uses a catchy title, but also links it with the content of the book. I like when this is done. The books become more like a concept and that helps to remember better their contents. Also, when something inside the book (such as the story it refers to) recalls the title, I usually feel amazing as a reader, like "oh, they said the title". In this case, I think it works in several levels of meaning and that is something very clever.
I am pretty sure that many of us thought about this book in the same way. But the author has included a descriptive subtitle to connect the title with the content of the book and to prevent anyone from being misdirected. As you said, the reader can take the book as a concept and after reading it can connect it with the title and interpret it in his/her own way. The author has given this chance to the reader with her ambiguous, yet curious title.
Sushan Ekanayake

Guda LM wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 15:21 I think the title is fun, captivating and immediately captures one's attention. I believe it tells of the humorous nature of the book. I already felt comfortable with it just by the title and cover page. It definitely drew me to the book. Marvellous marketing I believe.
Yes, the title lightens the mood of the reader and gives an insight about the humorous nature of the book. When a book is a self-help book as well as an autobiography, there is a possibility to it to be a serious read. So some of the readers may be averted by just getting to know the genre. So this author has attracted the light heart readers as well to her book by this title.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I too, thought this could be a children’s book. But what grabbed my attention the most about the whimsical title was the fact that I can so relate to the cover! Ha ha! When we first moved to Florida and moved into our first little cabin type house with the bathroom built on to the back, we indeed did have a community rooster that would come in, usually in the mornings, as well as several other times daily and just hang out on the dryer that was in our bathroom!!😂🐓. He was quite friendly!

So this book caught my attention because of that and so of course I had to read it. Finding out it was not a kids book, but a self-help type of book and that she too, indeed did have a rooster in her bathroom later on in the book as well. I am loving the book!!
Sushan Ekanayake

Jasy95 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 01:39 I think it was a bad idea to give it a vibe of a children's book! It could make potential readers looking for autobiographies ignore this book and not give it a chance.
Definitely, you have a valid opinion. A reader who is not willing to read the descriptive subtitle will get a superficial, and probably a wrong idea from the cover page and will pass on this book. So the brilliant marketing strategy of the author may give such unexpected results as well.
Morounkola
Currently Reading: The Last Man at the Inn
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Morounkola »

The relevance of book title is a guideline to a book before reading . you can't just pick a book without title and read it will not be fascinating to the reading sense. Also without opening a book you won't know all what is about maybe comic ,drama or thriller. And the book title must go along what you wrote ,you can title a book friction and the contents are in comedy or non friction
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

The book title is very intriguing. I believe the author used that title to capture a reader's curiosity - and it works. The title and cover art really let you know that the book won't be boring. Her background in advertising serves her well!

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”